Ubuntu 9.04 Beta Released

jodef

Experienced problems with my wifi and 8.04/8.10 hope it's solved in this version. Downloading the beta now. Release date for stable version 23rd April 2009.-------> Full details here

Hi Jodef . . . this is beta 1, is it ?? Let us know what you think of it . . . . and if you can recommend we give it a spin in VirtualBox . . . B) Bruno

Frank Golden

Ubuntu 9.04 on my notebook with ATi Mobility Radeon x1400 will not install the fglrx drivers from Synaptic nor the latest driversmanually. Apparently the xorg version used won't work with fglrx. Fglrx installs, seemingly ok, but it breaks x.Another issue, albeit a minor issue compared with a broken x is that something starts up my bluetooth module even if I turn it offwith the hardware switch. Wi-Fi appears to work well with my Intel Wi-Fi card.Printer works well.On a more positive note the utility for creating a LiveUSB stick works quite well from a within a liveCD session,producing a very fast to boot, very fast to install from, LiveUSB stick.The open source radeon drivers that come with jaunty suck. This is why I tried to install the proprietary fglrx ones.Google-Earth performance suffers with the open source drivers.This issue with the video drivers is a deal breaker for me.I think I will wait for the final in April.On a similar note AMD/ATi just released the latest Catalyst/fglrx drivers for linux. The new Catalyst 9.3 linux drivers were late,coming a week or so after the Windows release. AMD said they wanted to fine tune the drivers for linux since with the next release in April they will be dropping support for some of the older cards in Linux.Installing in Intrepid causes issues when installed using the instructions in the cchtml.com wiki.The only way I was able to install properly was to run the installer script directly using the terminal.This is the "ati way"With previous versions installing using the "ati way" was a hit or miss effort.The "ati way" is to run this command in terminal

sudo sh ati-driver-installer-9-(x)-x86.x86_64.run

where (x) is the latest version number.I'm not impressed with these new drivers the earlier 9.2 drivers are much better and install with no issues using the wiki instructions in both Intrepid and Hardy.Installing in jaunty was a complete disaster.

Edited by Frank Golden

Thanks for the updates Frank !

Ubuntu 9.04 on my notebook with ATi Mobility Radeon x1400 will not install the fglrx drivers from Synaptic nor the latest driversmanually. Apparently the xorg version used won't work with fglrx. Fglrx installs, seemingly ok, but it breaks x.
Ooooo . . . . o . . . . . o . . . . they better fix that because it will give a lot of bad press, many people do have ATI cards !!:thumbsup: Bruno

I had an ati card given to me recently and tried fglrx drivers. No dice. Catalyst was better but still sub-optimal.Don't quote me on this but I recall finding mention that fglrx don't work reliably in kernels later than 2.6.24. So the only option is catalyst or radeon. Needless to say I put the nvidia card back in, even thought it was only 128 Mb where the ati was 256Mb. It worked much better.

Frank Golden

fglrx works fine in Intrepid 2.6.27-14 generic (64 and 32 bit) although the latest catalyst 9.3 drivers (fglrx) seem to be a step backwards. The latest PCLinuxOS 2.6.26.8 seems to work well with the earlier fglrx. It appears the xorg used in Ubuntu 9.04 beta is the culprit, I do hope it gets fixed before April 23.

Edited by Frank Golden

fglrx works fine in Intrepid 2.6.27-14 generic (64 and 32 bit) although the latest catalyst 9.3 drivers (fglrx) seem to be a step backwards.
Good to hear it's working now. Thanks Frank.

I've just stuck with Hardy because it let me configure my wifi manually and it didn't have problems with the ath5k wifi driver module and WPA. I have an X1250 IGP in my machine so I don't want problems with fglrx drivers either.

I tries an install of Jaunty Beta on my test system. This machine is a totally boring Dell Optiplex Pentium 4 2.0 with Intel motherboard and 82865 integrated graphics. Nothing fancy at all.I got black screens, lock-ups at the login screen and all kinds of video garbage in the panels. I think X on Jaunty is totally broken. I quickly dropped back to Intrepid which runs beautifully on the test system. Even the issues my Atheros wifi card had earlier on have been fixed.

• 1 month later...
Cluttermagnet
I tries an install of Jaunty Beta on my test system. This machine is a totally boring Dell Optiplex Pentium 4 2.0 with Intel motherboard and 82865 integrated graphics. Nothing fancy at all.I got black screens, lock-ups at the login screen and all kinds of video garbage in the panels. I think X on Jaunty is totally broken. I quickly dropped back to Intrepid which runs beautifully on the test system. Even the issues my Atheros wifi card had earlier on have been fixed.
I appreciate this thread. It tipped me off to download and try the 9.04 beta, which worked great for me. My particular experience is opposite Ray's (but I don't use wi-fi). I have several P4 machines with Radeon video cards that Hardy and Intrepid simply refused to function on. 'Jackalope' 9.04 has reversed that trend, and will definitely give me a usable screen if I specify 'safe graphics' mode.It's a move in the right direction. Remember I pointed out earlier that Hardy and Intrepid were not good candidates to demo 'live CD' because of the risk of running into a box with a Radeon video card. I could in no way get a usable screen of any sort running the live CD on such boxes. A disaster IMO, since I love Ubuntu so much!I just installed the release version of 9.04 on this box, an old Dell 8300 with a 2.8GHz P4, 1G DDR. My first install of this release. It presently is running a pathetic 32M TNT2 video card, but works just the same. It installs at 1024 by 768 and that's good enough for me. I'll play with 9.04. Pretty sure it will be going on other machines soon. And I'll feel safe to run Ubuntu (9.04) in live CD sessions on friends' machines once again. B) :thumbsdown: Edited by Cluttermagnet