Super Ubuntu

sunrat

All you intrepid Ubuntu users may be interested in this:

Super Ubuntu is just Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex), but it also includes: * System and application updates: all updates released for Ubuntu + GIMP 2.6.3 + OpenOffice.org 3 + Firefox 3.0.4 * Better Multimedia Support: MPlayer and VLC, DVD-playback, MP3 support and other multimedia codecs * Better Internet experience: aMSN, aMule, Adobe Flash player and Opera * Support for portable applications/other installation methods: Autopackage, SFS Technology, Smart Package Manager, Wine and Zero Install * Support for more technologies: Java RE, Microsoft Office 2007 file formats, others... * Graphical interfaces/managers: compizconfig-settings-manager (Compiz), Gufw (Uncomplicated firewall), ndisgtk (NDISwrapper) and padevchooser (PulseAudio) * Utilities: Adobe Reader, EnvyNG, Furius ISO Mount, GParted, NDISwrapper, Ubuntu Tweak and StartUp-Manager
It's not on DistroWatch so thought I'd make it known. B) :unsure: Super Ubuntu HomeTorrent

Hi roger!Have you tried it? I might download it and see if it is better than LinuxMint ( which used to be great but not as much any more ).and what about the info hash;

Super Ubuntu 2008.11.torrentInfo hash: 43f79f7ec5adc91a56fbe07fbf96138612d47844
is it supposed to be a md5sum or a sha1? Edited by réjean

SunratDon't know WHY I'm Downloading B) as I am NEARLY ALWAYS :w00t: totally PCLinuxOSAm downloading from the webiste at 302KB/sec - (the fastes I can get with ISP) and OOPS!!! :lol: it is 1.1GBWell it mus be the JOLLY :whistling: :unsure: :w00t: o:) :lol: SEASONCheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

Righty Ho The 1.1GB ISO being tried now and still playing B) BUT read somewhere that this can be installed in Windows and KNOW this has been there for a whileIF Possible can someone explain thisCheers for yearsColin :unsure:

OOPS!!! B) WE did it againThe 4600+ is TOTALLY Super Ubuntu when I could not find how to install in Windows AND--->>> can NOT get on to the Wiki/Forum/Blog because my @on the keyboard for the email address only shows/or delivers as "Anyone any BRILLIANT :unsure: ideas PLEASECheers for YearsColin :whistling:

Hi Colin . . . I supose you did set up the keyboard the wrong way in the installer ( CA = US ). Maybe you can compare the xorg.conf with Réjean ? B) Bruno

Wishes.png

I doubt it will be of any help because there is very little information but I do not mind sharing it;

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)## This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using# values from the debconf database.## Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)## This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg# package.## Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings# here are ignored.## If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated# again, run the following command:#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorgSection "Device"	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"	Driver		"vesa"EndSectionSection "Monitor"	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"EndSectionSection "Screen"	Identifier	"Default Screen"	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"	Device		"Configured Video Device"EndSection

So, as of now only 2 distros allow me to either listen to the radio or watch the super time news from CBC Halifax; superbuntu and slackware 12.2 right from the installation.

Right . . that is that annoying generic xorg.conf that Ubuntu is using these days.Well in that case maybe look and the gnome-control-center --> hardware --> keyboards --> 2nd tab ( layouts )B) Bruno

Wishes.png

rejean Using super ubuntu now , tried out the 'corps' web site as well as ctv , videos.. played ok I have a few other sites like youtube and windows wmv filesI do have a minor problem , copying and using my book marks from my other OS into this one .. I find this version on fire fox not as user friendly as the previous one The only other problem , I like cooler colours ... light blues and greens .. not a happy with the ubuntu browns a little customisation in order did you check ctv for the next storm ... supposed to hits as wellCharlie

Just installed Superubuntu in place of my 32 bit Intrepid install. Of course I have a partimage image available of my 32 bit intrepidin case of disaster. So far so good. I immediately replaced Network Manager with wicd, my standard operating procedure these days.Next I installed the latest fglrx drivers (Catalyst 8.12) using the instructions at cchtml for my AMD/ATi mobility radeon x1400 video card.http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Pageafter a reboot I activated the "proposed" repos and upgraded the supplied kernel with the latest (2.6.27.11).With Intrepid dkms automatically compiles and installs the fglrx module so you don't have to manually do it.I removed the two older supplied kernels to recover some disk space.Next a complete software update was in order.Installed GoogleEarth, Nero Linux 3 (I have a paid for licence), and other software I find useful.Now I customize.BTW, I think it's great that all the codecs and player pugins are installed.Just visited http://www.veoh.comI'm able to watch episodes of TV shows from NBC, CBS, FOX and PBS as well as many movies. ABC still won't play nice with linux though

Edited by Frank Golden

Hi Charlie!I assume by "corps" you meant " l'esprit de corps " web site. Anyway both sites ( corps and CTV ) worked ( sound and video ). Finally a distro that works well. I don't normally watch commercial television stations, they seem to dramatize things too much. As far as the weather is concerned I go to Environment Canada where you can choose your location in the upper right corner, and the weather network and I compare them.We also go to the transport canada website ( during the day obviously ) and see the road conditions before going anywhere far in the winter.If you want to change the colours go to System->Preferences then click on Appearances and choose the one you want.

Edited by réjean

Rejean Some how I don't think the CBC falls in " l'esprit de corps " category :rolleyes: Did go to the preference an made colour changes .. still have a few little things to touch up Looks like an interesting addition to the ubuntu distros Charlie

Sad news!Last night I installed Vbox and something similar ( maybe VboxGTK, not sure ). Anyway while I was doing so I saw there were available updates. I waited for the install to be finished then I went for the updates. So now I have 2 kernels but unfortunately I get a black screen no matter which one I choose. My xorg.conf has changed here is the newest one;

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)## This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using# values from the debconf database.## Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)## This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg# package.## Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings# here are ignored.## If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated# again, run the following command:#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorgSection "Monitor"	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"EndSectionSection "Screen"	Identifier	"Default Screen"	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"	Device		"Configured Video Device"	DefaultDepth	24EndSectionSection "Module"	Load	"glx"EndSectionSection "Device"	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"	Driver	"nvidia"	Option	"NoLogo"	"True"EndSection

I can just reinstall Super Ubuntu but would not mind some practice at fixing the problem first. I've got nothing to loose since it is a fresh install. Any suggestions?

BrunoNo I NEVER :rolleyes: set the keyboard up during install - never saw the optionBUT used your - gnome-control-center --> hardware --> keyboards --> 2nd tab ( layouts ) Although did not know that - Preferences`was the Gnome Control Center - anyways now have the same keyboard as Rejean set as default BUT WE be on the same Roller Coaster ride - as much as I got the "at" to print as in email address in OpenOffice here is is back to the " and the real key for " does not work at allThis was all orchestrated knowing MS$ needed redoing and guess the time is now and do not believe Ubuntu Will be on the Linux Partition -= seems like my OLD :whistling: favourite PCLinuxOS TR5 will as I never did find out how to only install on the Linux PartitionThanks for all the advice Cheers for YearsColin :)

Edited by kamicota

Sad news!Last night I installed Vbox and something similar ( maybe VboxGTK, not sure ). Anyway while I was doing so I saw there were available updates. I waited for the install to be finished then I went for the updates. So now I have 2 kernels but unfortunately I get a black screen no matter which one I choose. My xorg.conf has changed here is the newest one
Hi Réjean . . make this change in the xorg.conf and see if it helps:
Section "Device" Identifier "Configured Video Device" Driver "nv" Option "NoLogo" "True"EndSection
:rolleyes: Bruno

Wishes.png

Yep!That did it Bruno. Thanks a bundle! I'm offered to update ( or upgrade ) the nvidia driver again ( now I remembered this is the change I made last night ) but I'll pass on, thank you very much.

Edited by réjean

Yep!That did it Bruno. Thanks a bundle! I'm offered to update ( or upgrade ) the nvidia driver again ( now I remembered this is the change I made last night ) but I'll pass on, thank you very much.
Hi rejean, you said you now have 2 kernels installed. You can remove the older one from Synaptic. Just do a search in Synaptic for linux and remove the old kernel from there.

Yep!That did it Bruno.
Great !! :thumbsup:
I'm offered to update ( or upgrade ) the nvidia driver again ( now I remembered this is the change I made last night ) but I'll pass on, thank you very much.
I think those drivers do not like your graphics card . . . so indeed better keep it the way it is ;)B) Bruno

Wishes.png

As Charlie said, I don't like the new Firefox 3 either; bookmarks seem to have to be imported rather than just dragged and dropped into the identity, which makes no sense to me; I don't see why my old method of just keeping them on a flash drive and dragging them into the identity does not work now.However, the reason I am adding to this thread is that I see that some application there will allow Word to be used? Is that wine? Or what? I have never been able to get Wine to let me use Word . . . .Thanks,Bill

As Charlie said, I don't like the new Firefox 3 either; bookmarks seem to have to be imported rather than just dragged and dropped into the identity, which makes no sense to me; I don't see why my old method of just keeping them on a flash drive and dragging them into the identity does not work now.However, the reason I am adding to this thread is that I see that some application there will allow Word to be used? Is that wine? Or what? I have never been able to get Wine to let me use Word . . . .Thanks,Bill
I was one of the lucky ones to get Crossover on the day it was free, so that is what I'm using. But one of the "super" elements of Super Ubuntu, is the Wine addons. Wine Doors should allow you to install Word.

The Wine HQ App database lists Word 2003 as well supported. W2007 may need Crossover Office.Personally, Abiword does all I need, or OpenOffice for more complicated stuff. (Actually Kate text editor does most of what I need. :P ;) )Also I think Firefox 3 is a noticeable improvement in rendering, speed, and site compatibility. @Temmu:It may be better to use a download manager rather than download a huge iso file in your browser. I recommend KGet or wg-t (replace the dash with an "e". The forum won't let us post the w word :( ) The Firefox FlashGot extension is great to pass downloads to another d/l manager. :) Edited by sunrat

rejean Using super ubuntu now , tried out the 'corps' web site as well as ctv , videos.. played ok I have a few other sites like youtube and windows wmv filesI do have a minor problem , copying and using my book marks from my other OS into this one .. I find this version on fire fox not as user friendly as the previous one The only other problem , I like cooler colours ... light blues and greens .. not a happy with the ubuntu browns a little customisation in order did you check ctv for the next storm ... supposed to hits as wellCharlie
HiCharlieThe bug you mentioned about bookmarks is a bug in firefox. So far no fix as of yet. it won't let you import bookmarks from a older version of firefox to the latest 3.05 It is in several bug reports and also in the firefox forums as well as Ubuntu forum.Mel :wub:

I have to say that Ubuntu is losing me fast. It's almost too Windows'ish. Some things aren't where they should be and they make it darn near impossible to compile your own kernel. I guess their developers feel like the users should leave it up to them and that we shouldn't be meddling with it. So what if the one they supply doesn't have support for your particular peripherals yet. I finally did upgrade to 8.10 after realizing that LTS stands for Long Term Support. I kept wondering why I wasn't getting an automatic offer to go up to 8.10 from 8.04. I just bought a digital tv tuner and the kernel offered by 8.04 just wasn't giving me what I needed. So far 8.10 is working for me, but not as well as I would like. It just seems kind of slow to me. I guess I need to turn some of the bloat off, but the browser seems unresponsive like it needs to warm up first before downloading a website. Maybe that has something to do with the Firefox version. I don't know. When I have time, I may just switch over to Gentoo, since it's working on my PowerPC pretty well. I'm actually using the pc to help compile for the PPC. Cross compilers are great. I'm not sure if I want to go back to Debian or not.I have to say that 8.10 is definitely an improvement over "Long Term Support".One thing I have finally learned is to say "no thank you" to Ubuntu restricted drivers. You're better off getting and installing them yourself, at least in the case of an nVidia card. The Ubuntu drivers are VERY temperamental. I finally just uninstalled any trace of restricted modules and just went with a fresh install of the nVidia driver on my own. It was much easier to get working. I guess you just have to make sure you have the kernel headers and source.

I have to say that Ubuntu is losing me fast. It's almost too Windows'ish. Some things aren't where they should be and they make it darn near impossible to compile your own kernel. I guess their developers feel like the users should leave it up to them and that we shouldn't be meddling with it. So what if the one they supply doesn't have support for your particular peripherals yet. I finally did upgrade to 8.10 after realizing that LTS stands for Long Term Support. I kept wondering why I wasn't getting an automatic offer to go up to 8.10 from 8.04. I just bought a digital tv tuner and the kernel offered by 8.04 just wasn't giving me what I needed. So far 8.10 is working for me, but not as well as I would like. It just seems kind of slow to me. I guess I need to turn some of the bloat off, but the browser seems unresponsive like it needs to warm up first before downloading a website. Maybe that has something to do with the Firefox version. I don't know. When I have time, I may just switch over to Gentoo, since it's working on my PowerPC pretty well. I'm actually using the pc to help compile for the PPC. Cross compilers are great. I'm not sure if I want to go back to Debian or not.I have to say that 8.10 is definitely an improvement over "Long Term Support".One thing I have finally learned is to say "no thank you" to Ubuntu restricted drivers. You're better off getting and installing them yourself, at least in the case of an nVidia card. The Ubuntu drivers are VERY temperamental. I finally just uninstalled any trace of restricted modules and just went with a fresh install of the nVidia driver on my own. It was much easier to get working. I guess you just have to make sure you have the kernel headers and source.
I am using Ubuntu 8.10 also. I have the latest kernel because I have "proposed" repos active.As to the restricted drivers, the AMD/ATi fglrx drivers used with my machine (my notebook uses the ATi mobility radeon x1400 card) are almost the latest available from ATi and work great. THe latest are available around the middle of each month and are easy to install using the wiki cchtml. Furthermore with 8.10 when you do a kernel upgrade "dkms" automatically compiles and installs the presently in use module to the new kernel. This is a great improvement over 8.04 LTS.I like Ubuntu's windowness.

i ran the live dvd version of super ubuntu for several hours and was amazed by how much stuff they packed in there. i may wipe lappy and install that, creating a quad boot laptop xp, vista, super ubuntu, and if it ever comes out, pclinuxos 2009.(i'd never have a dull-os moment with all those in one place... :hysterical: )
I have it installed on my hard drive. It is fast and runs good. I am having problems with Eye Candy though, for a custom desktop. AWN (avant-window-manager) won't stay in the sessions menu for auto startup. screenlets is in the (applications-accessories menu), But won't run. Compiz, Emerald, are working great. AWN works if I start it manually. I have a custom OSx like panel at the bottom of screen, But have to start it manually because of session manager problem.Click Screenshot darknightxz5.th.png Click Second Screenshot awnbarlj5.th.pngMel Edited by mhbell