Bold_Fortune's Guide to Slimming Windows XP

Webb

Bold_Fortune's Guide to Slimming Windows XP has been down for a few days and BF reports that it may be permanent.Fortunately, Janice from Graphix N Stuff has mirrored the complete guide, which is available here.If you're not familiar with the guide it's a "how to" remove unnecessary files to make XP smaller and, hopefully, faster. Stop in, take a look and maybe you'll want to join the forum.

Cluttermagnet

Wow! Uber geeky. Bold Fortune sure seems to know his stuff- but this is a pretty complicated thing here. I suspect that, for the same of better results, it would take a lot less effort simply to compile your own Linux OS than to slim down XP using this highly subtractive method. On the positive side, if this keeps folks happy with XP, that's a good thing. If it prevents a few of the Windows technorati from moving on to Vista, that would be helpful to fellow XP users, IMO. XP, even with it's DRM flaws, (WGA, etc.) is way less unattractive to me than Vista. It's a mature OS and it actually works with typical hardware.

I suspect that, for the same of better results, it would take a lot less effort simply to compile your own Linux OS than to slim down XP using this highly subtractive method.
I don't jump into your Linux forum (OK, I do occasionally) to complain that it doesn't work (which, essentially, it doesn't, which is why I don't use it) so please don't jump into a Windows forum and tell me that - as I have heard thousands of times from Linux geeks - it would be so much easier to do in Linux.If you have a problem with Windows please address it to the Windows OS. I have no idea what DRM flaws you are talking about because I have never encountered one of them.

RichNRockville
Bold_Fortune's Guide to Slimming Windows XP has been down for a few days and BF reports that it may be permanent.Fortunately, Janice from Graphix N Stuff has mirrored the complete guide, which is available here.If you're not familiar with the guide it's a "how to" remove unnecessary files to make XP smaller and, hopefully, faster. Stop in, take a look and maybe you'll want to join the forum.
I recommend http://www.blackviper.com for the uptodate modification ofwindows xp and now vista. Shows what to turn off and such to slim downwindows.YMMVrich