Mini Review Net Install Debian 4.0

mhbell

Just finished a Net install of the latest Debian Etch 4.0.I downloaded the net install ISO 144 Mb and burned it to a CD. Booted up pressed f-1 to see what boot options. Tried a normal boot but it would not boot up so did a expertgui and still no joy. so did a expert noapic and yea it booted :D followed the on screen prompts and instructions. got to the partition manager part and had to study how to use it for a minute. it was straight forward and very easy to use just a little different from what I am use to. :) choose the basic desktop package and the gui interface and started the download of the packages. It took 4 hours and 20 minutes 645 packages. I thought that I was choosing a minimal install but guess not. I should have checked to see what was in the desktop and gui packages. :whistling: got it all downloaded and installed then choose Grub for my boot manager. I wanted to install it to the root partition and not the MBR. It gave me that choice as well as my choice to use Lilo or Grub I am glad that I choose Grub (that is the one I prefer. Then I discovered that I did not have a keyboard anymore. :thumbsdown: That was because I was using a KVM Switch between the computer I was installing on and my secondary computer. Oh well, I still had a mouse so just clicked back and told it to install to the MBR that way I did not have to type in where I wanted it installed. I will use a boot disk and put grub in the root partition and then will use My 3rd party boot manager (boot it ng) to boot with I can restore it by booting with the boot it cd and use the restore feature. :thumbsup: So far all is working well and after the reboot I had my keyboard back. Here I am on the forum typing this. The Browser is called ICE Weasel. :hmm: It seems to work good and is fast. The Kernal was 2.6.18.4 or something like that. It is not the latest one. I am using the 64 bit version for amd 64. This one is a big improvment over the 3.1 distro and is working on my compaq computer. will keep the forum posted.Now to get back to playing with it and see what it will do.Mel :devil:

V.T. Eric Layton

Mel,Ice Weasel and Ice Dove are just renamed FireFox and Thunderbird Mozilla apps. There was some contention awhile back between the Debian developers and the Mozilla folks about name licensing. Debian decided to rename the browser and email client to use in the Debian distribution. All FF and TB extensions, addons, and themes still work with Ice Weasel and Ice Dove.Have fun! :)

Mel,Ice Weasel and Ice Dove are just renamed FireFox and Thunderbird Mozilla apps. There was some contention awhile back between the Debian developers and the Mozilla folks about name licensing. Debian decided to rename the browser and email client to use in the Debian distribution. All FF and TB extensions, addons, and themes still work with Ice Weasel and Ice Dove.Have fun! :thumbsdown:
Thanks Eric I remember now reading that somewhere< But I forgot. :)