My next phone !!

Bruno

My next smartphone ( Noooo . . not the iPhone ):. . . . . FIC-neo1973_small.png>>>> Runs Linux !!!>>>> Install extra apps with apt-get>>>> Has GPS module>>>> Quadband + GPRS>>>> SD-Slot >>>> 120.7 x 62 x 18.5 (mm)http://www.openmoko.com/press/index.htmlhttp://www.openmoko.com/files/OpenMoko_20061107.txtCosts less then half of what the iPhone costs . . and the carier is free to choose. ;)Apt-get: 10,000+ packages ready to be ported . . . . Request to developers: please port XMMS so I can play shoutcast ;):thumbsup: Bruno

I want one. I want one. I want one! :thumbsup: Sign me up. I honestly think the iphone is too expensive but this I could really go for it if is half the price.

You are still going to have to pay for the usage on this phone as well. You will only save about $250 over the course of one year, assuming you use comparable plans for voice and data on each phone. Having the SD slot is nice though, but 8GB cards are going to be expensive! Are you really going to save much money going with this phone?Not that I am an Apple fanoboy, but we have to compare these products rationally.Adam

I think every smartphone will cost real money . . . but the fun of this "geek phone" is that you ( later ) can add the functions you want/need with apt-get. And being an opensource project you can be sure that hundreds of clever, handy and nice free software will be available soon. And if you do not like them after installing you remove them just as easy as you installed them. . . . . . I think that is priceless !! ;) B) Bruno

Who says you have to add 8GB? I'm sure a couple would do fine. Do you even need the card for it to work properly? Any time you go to a phone with real web content you are adding a monthly bill of around $40 if all plans are similar. That is what has stopped me in the past. I figure when all my daughters (loosely speaking) are out of college then I will be able to justify an expense like this. That gives me four years to plan before the last of the trio graduates. ;)

64 MB NAND Flash
That is all it has inside for internal non-volatile stoarge. My basis for this was to compare "apples to apples." Since the iPhone comes in 4 and 8GB varieties, it is a good idea to match everything up spec-wise to see what kind of value each will be. The whole draw of the iPhone and smartphone is that you can carry music and movies with you. ;)Adam

Man! I feel so behind the times. I still use one of these... and it doesn't even take pictures. B)
LOL . . . well look at it this way: Some Motorola's do run Linux firmware . . . .;);) Bruno

Guest LilBambi
I think every smartphone will cost real money . . . but the fun of this "geek phone" is that you ( later ) can add the functions you want/need with apt-get. And being an opensource project you can be sure that hundreds of clever, handy and nice free software will be available soon. And if you do not like them after installing you remove them just as easy as you installed them. . . . . . I think that is priceless !! :devil: :thumbsup: Bruno
That's the part I am liking, as well as not being stuck to Cingular for TWO years and not being able to load 'non-authorized' Mac OS X programs.Want an iPhone? Beware the iHandcuffs explains it all (BambisMusings take on it).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...