Wazobia, Another African Distro

Bruno

Looks like the African continent is really embracing Linux . . . . . here is an article about Wazobia, another African distro in the making:http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?...17-7A42793E79C7Or would it be just another Nigerian scam ?? :icon8: :PB) BrunoPS: It has an entry on Distrowatch: http://distrowatch.com/index.php?distribut...th=all&year=all . . . but there are no articles yet :D

It took me a few pages of googling before I found the site.http://www.wazobialinux.com/Since I'm trying distros on 1 computer, I may give it a look.First I tried downloading in Mephis but I had no indication that anything was downloading so I rebooted to windows (different version of FF) and the same thing happened. At least I was able to find and bring up the download manager so I can see what is happening. I wonder if this is a new behavior in the download manager? It's a slooow download. I'm on a fast cable connection and it appears that this 650.7MB will take longer than an hour. Further details next week after I burn and try it out.

Edited by zlim

First look: Live CD of WazobiaThis was the first time I was ever asked on a live CD to configure TCP/IP and after two attemps and no success getting on the internet, I need to try more settings. Next the hardware detection configuration utility runs. It detected my Ensonique (soundblaster) card but I don't have sound. The desktop is gnome and I'm not quite as familiar with it as kde so I'll will have to play around a bit.It comes with a dozen wallpapers, LOL. First we redecorate even if the settings don't stick.Things I don't like: the version of FF is 1.0 preview (IMHO that is way too old to be included on a relatively young live CD), the default login is root with the pass 123456 (I haven't figured out just yet how to get another user with less ability so maybe it is good that I couldn't venture on to the web with an old browser as root), under Office, it doesn't include OpenOffice (I was under the assumption that OO was included), not that I know how to use it but it doesn't come with TheGimp.I haven't figured out what to use as far as a package manager is concerned but that is probably due to my unfamiliarity with gnome and not the fault of the distro.Bottom line: (my biased opinion) this Live CD is a step down from the others I've looked at, in that my network settings have just worked without any input from me and I've tried quite a few different distros on this computer. If I also can't get sound configured, I will switch to another distro which does recognize and use the sound card. I'm also used to live CDs including a "guest" account so you do not run as root from the get-go. That is important to me because that is what makes linux a lot safer.

Hi LizI started the download as well, but the connection was so slow that it would take 3 days to get it . . . . . and sorry, I do not have that much patience so I think I skip B) ( your post that says it uses gnome exclusively helped in the decision to stop the download );) Bruno

I probably won't look at it again. I'm currently running puppy multi-session on that computer. Puppy seems to run so fast despite that it is a live CD that I will probably not spend much time looking at others and just install it. If a distro gives me too many problems, I put it away and move on to something else.