splash=silent in Xandros

réjean

Hi all!I managed to reinstall Xandros and Knoppix and figure out the "/etc/lilo.conf" in Drake so I can now boot into all my distros again. Thanks to Bruno and the notes I kept. Isn't he a good professeur?After I did so I noticed the "append" line in lilo.conf didn't have the "splash=silent" for Xandros like it does in Drake and SuSE so I decided to add it. The only thing is that I still get the verbose when I boot into Xandros. No big deal really. I just thought I would ask if anyone as an explanation for it. I am now going to try it with Knoppix and Ubuntu and see what happens. Then I will get back to you.

Hi Réjeansplash=silent works only if there is the graphics to show a prgress-bar . . . . probably Xandros does not have it.You should be careful with adding random thiongs to the appendline . . . it are axtra "arguments" that are passed on to the kernel at boot . . . . . you could have unpleasant surprises if you add the wrong ones !B) Bruno

Hi Bruno!

splash=silent works only if there is the graphics to show a prgress-bar . . . . probably Xandros does not have it.
Ok! I see what "splash=silent" is about now. And you're right Xandros doesn't have a progress bar.When Xandros is in control of the lilo.conf it has a GUI splash (which is kindda pretty by the way). I do get the basic entries like "starting hardware" and "looking for eth0 " or a few things to the liking but not the whole list of things. What I mean is that there is a black and red screen with maybe no more than 10 things being said instead of 100 lines or so and I thought that this too was a splashing screen. My mistake.I am careful adding stuff to the append line, btw, and it is only one thing at a time ( thing that I copy and paste from another entry into the lilo.conf) and for one distro at a time only. If it doesn't work then I delete it.Thanks again Bruno.Metho! I'll add my note as a different reply under this thread.

Hi again metho!Here are my notes and feel free to correct me anyone if I am misleading our good friend." After installing a new distro:1.Go into Konsole and do a $ su password:2. Then do a # cat /etc/lilo.conf(mostly, I guess to see what are the distros listed into the bootloading (MBR) and their values )3. Then after that do a # ls -al /boot(to see what the permissions are)4.the rest as to be done one at a time while clicking on Enter after each line. # mkdir /mnt/(the new drive; /dev/hda6, or 7 or dev/hdb1, or 2 etc.) # mount /dev/drive (/dev/hda...)/boot/name (eg. Slack, Drake,SuSE) /mnt/hda(6,7,8,etc.)... # cp -r /mnt/hda.../boot /boot/name (knoppix, Drake, Slack, SuSE, etc.) # ls -al/boot/name # umount /mnt/drive (/dev/hd1999, 666) 5. Then copy the boot part from the new distro lilo corrresponding to the new distro itself into the main "/etc/lilo.conf" for example if I install SuSE after Drake I look for the SuSE "/etc/lilo.conf" or sometimes I have to go into "/boot" and look for the appropriate file. Then I copy it, go back to Drake using the Rescue CD go back into the console, su, password and do a ""vi /etc/lilo.conf" and paste what I have copied.6. Finally and very important while in the console under "su" I do a: # /sbin/lilo to record the new changes and make sure that the lilo.conf file has no mistake.These are "my" notes, meaning that I understand myself. Anyone can ellaborate on them as they wish and most of all correct them if I have made a mistake.Love you all! :)P.S. By all means seek the advice of someone who is far more professional than I am, like Bruno or others , before attempting any changes to your lilo.conf. The only reason I accepted to release these notes upon request from another explorer was to show that after a mere few months of attending this forum loaded with a number of knowledgeable people one can learn to do things that would have seem impossible at first on one's own.

Edited by réjean

Hi RéjeanYour notes are basically correct B) . . I only made a few cosmetic changes in your text :( . . . . But I will help our friend step by step the first time . . so after that he can copy your notes to do it himself the next time.B) Bruno

Hi Bruno!By no means did I want to encourage anyone to go through the process without your help. I should definitely have added a post-script urging any new viewer to get your assistance first. I will do so right now. I just wanted my notes to be a draft upon which everybody could add improvement until we get some kind of consensus. If I have given the impression that it was otherwise, I apologize. Mea Culpa!

:thumbsup: . . . Réjean . . . there is no problem my friend . . . LOL . . . so no need for "Mea Culpa" at all . . . . :w00t:B) BrunoPS: You said "feel free to correct me" . . . and I only tried to "perfect" your info ;) :)