Mandrake 10.1 No cd-rom found?

trickster

Hi everyone. In found your forum about a week ago and after looking around I can say that I like how you guys actually answer to and respect people who ask questions. So here is mine: I've downloaded the 3 Mandrake 10.1 Official isos and burned them using Nero. When i try to boot from the first or the second disk I get the boot prompt and within seconds I get the message "no cdrom device found". Obviously that's nonsense, the drive is there, having just booted from it and it works just fine with Windows 2000 and MDK 10.0 Official... Then I get asked to insert a floppy with "additional drivers" which even if I wanted to do isn't possible... I bought my pc without a floppy drive.I had a different error on the previous installation attempts which even messed up my installed Mandrake 10.0 Official, but then it got replaced with the one above.I've found someone with a similar problem here:http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-25965.htmlSeems to be something related to SATA. So have I just wasted 3 days of my life downloading and then burning 3 coasters or can I actually use some hack and be on my way? I feel annoyed that Mandrake would even have the nerve to ask for money for this version, when it can't even get to the first step of the install process.

The SATA can present a problem. Have you considered trying the network install?That might be just the answer for you....The last post is already four pages back on my computer. Here is the link to that thread: http://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.php?showtopic=9345 Trickster - Welcome to the Forum! You can always pass those CDs on to someone that needs them. :thumbsdown:

Hi tricksterI am on the end of my day ( it is the middle of the night in Europe :thumbsdown: ) . . but still I want to say WELCOME !A network install is indeed easy and might be the solution to your problem . . have a go at it !I will look again in this thread tomorrow, short on time now . . and see what I can do for you.:hmm: BrunoPS: You don't have a Samsung Combo drive . . have you ?? Or an LG CD-Rom ?

Welcome to the forum, Trickster! You won't trick us as long as we give you treats, right? :w00t: I was going to ask if you had checked the md5sums on the ISO files before burning them to CDs but you did say you got to the boot: prompt so that's probably not the issue. Do you have a regular hard drive you can attach and disable the SATA in the BIOS? This would just be temporary to rule out SATA being the issue (under Mandrake). :P

Well, guess it's a little late for trick or treating :harhar: maybe next Halloween :harhar: . But a network install isn't feasible for 2 reasons. I have a slow cable connection (30 KBytes/sec) so it takes me about 8 hours per CD, so even if I don't install everything it would still take me more than 10 hours, and second won't this ftp://ftp.uni-bayreuth.de/pub/linux/Mandr...images/boot.iso have the same problem with the CD-ROM detection? I guess to start the installation it still needs to be able to boot from the CD.OK I'm going to give you all the details, maybe that way lil' old me can finally get his Mandrake 10.1 up and running :)When I first tried to install Mandrake 10.1 I got an error very similar to the one mentioned in the first post herehttp://forums.sudhian.com/messageview.aspx...5&enterthread=ythe only difference being my mainboard is Gigabyte and my HDD is a 80 GB Seagate.I decided to look around in the BIOS, found that my drive was set to PIO mode (slower) and changed the SATA detection to automatic. After that I noticed a slight performance improvement in Windows, and the POST screen would say "Primary master drive LBA Serial ATA" "Secondary Master Drive CD-RW, UDMA 33" whereas before they would both be set to PIO4, so I guess that means that the drive wasn't using SATA before. But after this BIOS change Mandrake 10.1 decided to throw another error at me, within seconds of pressing "Enter to install", namely "no cd-rom drive" error.The ISOs I downloaded passed the md5 checksum test. Can't be sure if they got burned right, but I didn't get any errors though. The drive is a Sony CRX-230E something (cd-writer unit) and no, I don't have any regular IDE drive unfortunately. So dead-ends whichever way I go.But I take it none of you guys has a SATA drive, otherwise since I've seen some of you have tried Mandrake 10.1 you'd know it if it's just my bad luck or it's a generalized problem.Hope I haven't messed any phrases it's a pretty long post and I kept copying and pasting around.

I thought all SATA bugs had been resolved in Mandrake Cooker . . . I know there were a few . . . so I will dig around a bit and see what I can find.:harhar: Bruno

I changed the topic of this thread to have a subtitle saying "Using SATA drive" to bring in any that use them. I know Peachy uses a SATA drive and can not remember if anyone else does.

What I've found so far ishttp://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/...otes?skin=print

Where it states Shuttle SB75G2 with a SATA hard drive and an IDE PATA CD(-RW) drive (ATAPI) With this configuration, one can get a freeze at boot when detecting the drives. Reboot and enter the BIOS settings (pressing DELETE). Go to Integrated Peripherals -> OnChip? IDE Device -> On Chip Serial ATA Setting. Set the SATA Mode to "Enhnanced mode" but not "Auto".
I would try this but the options for my motherboard is a different brand (Gigabyte) and its BIOS options are different.and alsohttp://mandrakeusers.org/lofiversion/index.php/t20050.htmlP.S. Thank you everyone for your warm welcome. Edited by trickster

nlinecomputers

I don't run Mandrake on my Sata system I run Suse 9.1 with no problems as long as you aren't trying to mirror the drives in BIOS. The mobo is an ASUS A7V600.

Hi Trickster.I have found Mandrake to be nothing but problematic with my setup. I have a SATA drive, I'm not sure if that was a problem in it's self because i have an AMD 64 cpu. and the 64 bit version gave me various problems. no screens and crashes - I was beginning to think microsofthad a hand in compiling this version :) After trying others i found SIMPLY MEPIS d/l. and burned the ISO its a live cd.booted and it recognized all the onboard devices and plugins. so i did the installand thats where i am now.A bit off topic but if Mandrake is still giving you headaches might be worth a try. :o Hodgy

That's a good idea, hodgy! Also, I have 9.1 Pro and am willing to send you a copied set if you want, Trickster (since you're on dialup and it works for Nathan). In any case, you might want to try sending a PM to Peachy letting him know of your problem since he uses SATA, not sure if it's with Mandrake, though.

I don't run Mandrake on my Sata system I run Suse 9.1 with no problems as long as you aren't trying to mirror the drives in BIOS.  The mobo is an ASUS A7V600.
That's perfect. I just installed SUSE 9.1 today. It's funny, but now that the drive is running on SATA mode instead of in old school PIO Mode, the Suse 9.1 install worked just fine. I do have 3 things that don't work under it, though: Well first of all I can't get on the net (cable modem) and second my mouse wheel doesn't work at all. The third is something I also experienced under Mandrake 10.0 Official: when searching for files in KDE, the search window locks up.The "can't get on the net" part happened in MDK 10.0 because it would by default set the network card to 100Mbit and Full Duplex which it didn't support. So after installing MDK 10.0 (and every once in a while :) ) I would have to reset it using mii-tool. I tried running mii-tool today withut params on Suse and it doesn't work (I'll post the message later) So maybe you could help me with any of these things.OT: I still think Mandrake is a good distro. 10.0 was decent, it installed flawlessly) but it was getting a bit old. They do have potential but their latest release is just messed up... :o

nlinecomputers

Trickster,What motherboard do you have? Is the NIC card on-board or a seperate card? Is the card a 10/100 NIC or a gigabit NIC. There are some issues with gigabit NICs in SuSE 9.1

Looks like it goes a long way.And this http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7080is absolutely identical to what the kernel log looked like for me after the first install
Installing Mandrake Linux 10.0-beta 1, at the point when theinstaller wants to go from the boot floppy to the cdrom, an error box is displayed on the terminal which says "no CDROM device found". When I look at the log it shows that it has found the Symbios|53C810 scsi card and has loaded the driversfor this card. The next line says it islooking for scsi mediathe next two lines are repeated twice:looking for Compaq Smart Array medialooking for DAC960then the next lines arelooking for ide mediaIDE/1: hda is a Maxtor 6E030L0looking for scsi medialooking for Compaq Smart Array medialooking for DAC960unsetting automatice (this is the last line of the log that is displayed) The kernel msg report the following concerning this scsi card and cdrom drive <5> SCSI subsystem initialized<6> PCI: found IRQ 10 for device 0000:00:09.0<6> sym0: <810a> rev 0x23 at pci 0000:00:09.0 IRQ 10<4> Sym0: Symbois NVram,, ID 7, FAST-10, SE, parity checking<5> Sym0: SCSI BUS has been reset<6> scsi0: sym-2.1.18f<5> vendor: SONY  Model CD_RW CRX145S Rev:1.0b<5> Type: CD-ROM  ANSI SCSI revision: 04<6> sym0:6: FAST-10 SCSI 10.0 MB/s ST (100.0 ns, offset 8)<4> sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 32x/32x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray<6> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.20<7> Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scai0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0
But I do appreciate the effort. :D

Trickster,What motherboard do you have?  Is the NIC card on-board or a seperate card?  Is the card a 10/100 NIC or a gigabit NIC.  There are some issues with gigabit NICs in SuSE 9.1
It's a separate card. It's a 10Mbit Half DuplexHere's something from boot.msg
Warning: interface eth0 is not (yet?) active. Warning: No interface active (yet?)done    eth0      device: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)    eth0      configuration: eth-id-00:40:f4:85:b4:eb    eth0      IP address: my ip here
and from /var/log/messages
Dec 14 04:33:00 linux kernel: eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xe19fb000, 00:40:f4:85:b4:eb, IRQ 21Dec 14 04:33:00 linux kernel: eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'
and also /var/log/messages a few lines below
Dec 14 12:33:17 linux kernel: eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1
So this is where the problem is. I have to set it to 10Mbps and half-duplex or it won't work (that's what it uses under Windows). In MDK 10.0 I would mii-tool --force-media 10BaseT-HD to set it but running mii-tool gives me some strange answer under Suse. If there's any way to do it using the GUI, I don't know about it.

mii-tool should work.  What is the error?
mii-tool --helpusage: mii-tool [-VvRrwl] [-A media,... | -F media] [interface ...]    -V, --version            display version information    -v, --verbose            more verbose output    -R, --reset              reset MII to poweron state    -r, --restart            restart autonegotiation    -w, --watch              monitor for link status changes    -l, --log                with -w, write events to syslog    -A, --advertise=media,... advertise only specified media    -F, --force=media        force specified media technologymedia: 100baseT4, 100baseTx-FD, 100baseTx-HD, 10baseT-FD, 10baseT-HD,    (to advertise both HD and FD) 100baseTx, 10baseTlocalhost:/home/trickster # mii-tool -F 10BaseT-HDSIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supportedno MII interfaces found
I really have no idea what SIOCGMIIPHY is. But it obviously fails to detect that the card is up. Supposing it is, that is...http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/261456

Well first of all I can't get on the net (cable modem) and second my mouse wheel doesn't work at all. The third is something I also experienced under Mandrake 10.0 Official: when searching for files in KDE, the search window locks up.
Haven't hard of the search window problem.As for the network card, I'd highly recommend getting a new one. Network cards are cheap and the D-link ones are usually detected by SUSE or any other Linux distro. I had to ditch my old card when SUSE 9.1 came out with the 2.6 kernel. Do you know what kind of card it actually is? Is it a Realtek card or does Linux just think it is one?Regarding the mouse. What kind do you have? Is it USB? You can run SaX to configure a new one graphically or via the console in text-mode YaST. For my scroll wheel mouse, I find that SUSE thinks it's an Explorer mouse (which I think is a Microsoft mouse). Can you paste the mouse section from the /etc/X11/XF86Config file?

Thanks for your help but it's a little late. I've just gone ahead and reinstalled Mandrake 10.0 Official.Maybe I'll give Suse 9.1 a try later when I have more time and I'm in a more forgiving mood.

Haven't hard of the search window problem.As for the network card, I'd highly recommend getting a new one. Network cards are cheap and the D-link ones are usually detected by SUSE or any other Linux distro. I had to ditch my old card when SUSE 9.1 came out with the 2.6 kernel. Do you know what kind of card it actually is? Is it a Realtek card or does Linux just think it is one?Regarding the mouse. What kind do you have? Is it USB? You can run SaX to configure a new one graphically or via the console in text-mode YaST. For my scroll wheel mouse, I find that SUSE thinks it's an Explorer mouse (which I think is a Microsoft mouse). Can you paste the mouse section from the /etc/X11/XF86Config file?
The search lockup is there, trust me. 90% of the times I used the KDE search. That's why I always used the Gnome one.As for the NIC it's definitely a "Realtek RTL 8139/819x Family Fast Ethernet NIC" as listed in Windows 2000 (it's even on the MS Hardware Compatibility List). And I really see no reason in ditching as it just works. If Suse can't get it right the first time, too bad. For all it's other quirks (and everyone knows there's plenty of them), Windows gets it right without any trouble.And since this topic seems to have drifted a bit, I'll post my intial MDK 10.1 related question to mandrakeexpert.com or mandrakeusers.com and if I get an answer post it here so others may benefit as well.For now I'm off to try and build kde 3.3 from source on Mandrake 10.
For my scroll wheel mouse, I find that SUSE thinks it's an Explorer mouse (which I think is a Microsoft mouse). Can you paste the mouse section from the /etc/X11/XF86Config file?
Same here. And yes, it is USB. But the wheel doesn't work in SUSE. It's not a Microsoft mouse per se (it's A4Tech), but in Win2k, the wheel works without any additional drivers. Same thing in Mandrake 10.0.

I have that network card and it works great in Mandrake. No problems there. I always have problems with Suse. No matter how I change the settings it can not find the network unless I do a network install. That is hte main thing that steers me away from Suse. Good luck with it. :)

nlinecomputers

And lately I always have problems with Mandrake. Just depends on what hardware you run. But Suse has had some network issues. Hopefully 9.2 will fix some of that.

I have that network card and it works great in Mandrake.  No problems there.  I always have problems with Suse.  No matter how I change the settings it can not find the network unless I do a network install.  That is hte main thing that steers me away from Suse.  Good luck with it. :)
Thanks, Teacher. But for now I'll stick with Mandrake 10.