Reactions to MacWorld Keynote

inform

Well we knew that the iPhone was coming and its defintitly a cool device; evolutionary in the mobile phone business. I would love to get one but my company gices us Treo's. If I can't get my mail from an exchange server than it will be useless to me. If it turns out that I can get my company mail then I'm getting one for sure. Of course its not Apple Computer anymore this was an abvious change. The new Extreme with 802.11n is nice. I ordered one already its due to ship February 28th. If you want to turn on the 802.11n function in your Intel machine it seems that you need to buy the airport for now. Its nice to see them add some more ethernet ports I always hated the one port on the old Extreme. I sure wish they would have added an audio out port rather than having to shell out more money for an express. AppleTV, we knew it was coming it is definitley going to change the way we think about our TV but I have no need for this device yet. I'm still watching an old TV from 1988. I have no inputes other than cable. TV bores the **** out of me, so I'll have to buy a new TV if I want to use this new Apple appliance. Overall I was disappointed that there was not even a heads up on Leopard or any other software suite like iLife or iWork. I have been waiting to upgrade my iWork form '05, I'm a heavy Keynote user and I was looking forward to seeeing something new. Well Maybe in Paris we will see something on the software front. So we wait till June for the iPhone and to the next Apple event for news on the software front.What did you think?

Edited by inform

Some of this is being discussed over in this thread. I think the iPhone will work with Exchange servers. I do like the new Airport Extreme with multiple ethernet ports. I've got two desktop systems, a Compaq and an iMac, that are wired only, so I might look into getting one. I, too, was hoping for some information on Leopard, iWorks, and iLife. Maybe they didn't want to tip their hat to Microsoft and will wait until just after Vista is released to announce the new features in those progams.

I'd put five bucks on it being available to other GSM providers within a year. All it would take is different SIM cards, since the device is quad-band.Adam

I think the reason they didn't announce anything else is because there was such a huge buzz machine surrounding the iPhone that no matter what announcement they made, it would be lost in the hype that is iPhone. It's guaranteed that they have other announcements coming, there was just no reason to do them now. I bet we see at least one announcement in the next month, and possibly (hopefully?) more.

Cingular signed an agreement two years ago for exclusive rights without even seeing a prototype or knowing what would be on the phone. I'm looking at a new phone in a few months but Cingular is not an option here. I'm seriously considering a Blackberry this time.Oh the other hand, the impact of the keynote speech has been such that share prices have gone through the roof - something like a 12% increase in two days. And the Microsoft show reports are that it is very boring over there. :DInform, I too was looking for something on Leopard. I know I will update when it releases. I guess I will have to buy two copies with two Macs...

Cisco is suing Apple for use of the iPhone trademarkIt sounds to me like some sort of mix-up:
Cisco said Tuesday it had been negotiating for several years with Apple over a licensing agreement, but that Apple lawyers had not signed and returned the final contract."Cisco entered into negotiations with Apple in good faith after Apple repeatedly asked permission to use Cisco's iPhone name," said Mark Chandler, Cisco senior vice president and general counsel, in a statement. "There is no doubt that Apple's new phone is very exciting, but they should not be using our trademark without our permission."

Guest LilBambi

Very interesting ... Cisco has a VoIP phone, not a CELLphone and were dragging their feet even though they knew that Apple had plans to release this product at Macworld.Makes no sense at all, except to make headlines and give their stock a boost in after hours trading.I would imagine that the courts might just side with Apple on this. They are not competing in the same product space (VoIP and cellphones are two different types of things and treated differently even at the federal level regarding regulations, taxes etc.).Also, there are apparently, according to the article, several other companies that have used the name. Did Cisco go after them before they went after Apple?I wonder.

I guess I will have to buy two copies with two Macs...
Apple offers a family pack which lets you install OS X on up to five different systems for $199. That's better than two single system copies at $129 each. This was the pricing on Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger. I'm assuming the pricing will hold for Leopard.

No. Unlike Microsoft which has full versions and upgrade versions, Apple has a different thought process. Each new "cat", i.e., Jaguar to Panther to Tiger, and I'm assuming to Leopard, is considered a new version and has only one price. Also, unlike Microsoft, there's no product activation. You could install, though not legally, one copy of OS X on as many systems as you'd like and the program would never complain or stop working.

Guest LilBambi

More keeps coming on the reaction to Macworld and the iPhone...

That Apple is now being sued for infringing someone else's name is ironic, Holliman said.Munster, the analyst with Piper Jaffray, offered 50-50 odds for a name change before the phone is released in June. "Whether you call it an iPhone or something else, it's still the best mobile phone in the world," he said.
@ SFGateVery true and more in the article.