tried to play wmv file but totem says codec missing

laan97ac

wvc1 codec not handled.
?? . . I never heard about a wvc1 codec . . . . B) What you can try is to install "VLC" ( Video Lan Client ) using your package manager, almost every distro has it. It comes with all codecs by default . . . and it can handle a large amount of formats.:hysterical: Bruno

?? . . I never heard about a wvc1 codec . . . . B) What you can try is to install "VLC" ( Video Lan Client ) using your package manager, almost every distro has it. It comes with all codecs by default . . . and it can handle a large amount of formats.:hysterical: Bruno
Hi Bruno , laan97ac wvc1 codec is window's new format though it has same wmv extension."VLC 0.8.5-Final will not play these videos at all. There is sound but no picture. However, VLC 0.8.5 nightly dated 1/15/06 plays these almost flawlessly..."http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?p=74043Anil

Hi All,Anil, I think you hit it right where my problem is. I have VLC, Totem, Xine, Mplayer and none works despite w32codecs packs and plugins...I read your link Anil, and it seems that there is no linux solution for this so far?Laan

Hi Bruno , laan97ac wvc1 codec is window's new format though it has same wmv extension."VLC 0.8.5-Final will not play these videos at all. There is sound but no picture. However, VLC 0.8.5 nightly dated 1/15/06 plays these almost flawlessly..."http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?p=74043Anil

wvc1 codec is window's new format though it has same wmv extension.
One of Microsofts new formats again is it ?? Those people are driving me crazy !! :(Anyway, Laan . . . I think that Anil is saying that more recent versions of VLC do play the new file-format . . . . So either check here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/Or for even more recent versions: http://nightlies.videolan.org/B) Bruno

Let me get home on the ubuntu machine to check the version number on my VLC - it was the standard one on ubuntu repositories...

can you post the link for the file Laan ?

my VLC version is 0.8.6

Let me get home on the ubuntu machine to check the version number on my VLC - it was the standard one on ubuntu repositories...

my VLC version is 0.8.6
VLC 0.8.6 supports wvc1 format. Please post link here, to the wmv file that you could not load, so that I can try it out on my computer :(

Hi Guys,Download the alanwake test file, just a bit scroll down on this page, there is a link to it.http://www.advection.net/opinions/ct/2006/...nced_profi.htmlI cannot get it to play in anything I try...Laan

hi Laancan you post that link that you cant watch?? personally i think that you are super villainhere are some links to test whatever you are in doubt javaTest Adobe Shockwave & Flash PlayersStreaming mediai am still curious what site you cant see

Hi Guys,Download the alanwake test file, just a bit scroll down on this page, there is a link to it.http://www.advection.net/opinions/ct/2006/...nced_profi.htmlI cannot get it to play in anything I try...Laan
Hi LaanI could play the file in KMPlayer but audio is missing :hmm: You may download alan_wake_teaser.wmv which plays fine (audio/video) on my computer.http://download.remedygames.com/movies/Alan_Wake_Teaser.wmvAnil

hmm i will download the file and as far as codecs go this is what i have

$ ls /usr/lib/win32AvidQTAVUICodec.qtx		  divxc32.dll   msg711.acm	  vid_h261.xaBeHereiVideo.qtx			 divxdec.ax	msgsm32.acm	 vid_h263.xaCLRVIDDC.DLL				 dnet.so.6.0   msh261.drv	  vid_iv32.xaCtWbJpg.DLL				  drv2.so.6.0   msms001.vwp	 vid_iv41.xaDECVW_32.DLL				 drv3.so.6.0   msnaudio.acm	vid_iv50.xaLCMW2.dll					drv4.so.6.0   msrle32.dll	 vivog723.acmLCODCCMW2E.dll			   drvc.so	   msscds32.ax	 vmnc.dllLCodcCMP.dll				 dspr.so.6.0   msvidc32.dll	voxmsdec.axQuickTime.qts				huffyuv.dll   mvoiced.vwp	 vp31vfw.dllQuickTimeEssentials.qtx	  i263_32.drv   nsrt2432.acm	vp4vfw.dllQuickTimeInternetExtras.qtx  iac25_32.ax   pclepim1.dll	vp5vfw.dllREADME					   iccvid.dll	qdv.dll		 vp6vfw.dllVDODEC32.dll				 icmw_32.dll   qpeg32.dll	  vp7vfw.dllViVD2.dll					imaadp32.acm  qtmlClient.dll  vssh264.dllacelpdec.ax				  imc32.acm	 rt32dcmp.dll	vssh264core.dllalf2cd.acm				   ir32_32.dll   scg726.acm	  vssh264dec.dllaslcodec_dshow.dll		   ir41_32.dll   sipr.so.6.0	 vsshdsd.dllaslcodec_vfw.dll			 ir50_32.dll   sp5x_32.dll	 vsslight.dllasusasv2.dll				 ivvideo.dll   tm20dec.ax	  vsswlt.dllasusasvd.dll				 jp2avi.dll	tokf.so.6.0	 wma9dmod.dllativcr2.dll				  l3codeca.acm  tokr.so.6.0	 wmadmod.dllatrac3.acm				   l3codecx.ax   tsccvid.dll	 wmsdmod.dllatrc.so.6.0				  lhacm.acm	 tsd32.dll	   wmspdmod.dllavimszh.dll				  lsvxdec.dll   tssoft32.acm	wmv8ds32.axavizlib.dll				  m3jp2k32.dll  tvqdec.dll	  wmv9dmod.dllclrviddd.dll				 m3jpeg32.dll  ubv263d+.ax	 wmvadvd.dllcook.so					  m3jpegdec.ax  ubvmp4d.dll	 wmvdmod.dllcook.so.6.0				  mcdvd_32.dll  ultimo.dll	  wmvds32.axctadp32.acm				  mcmjpg32.dll  vdowave.drv	 wnvplay1.dllddnt.so.6.0				  mi-sc4.acm	vgpix32d.dll	wnvwinx.dlldivx.dll					 mpg4c32.dll   vid_3ivX.xa	 wvc1dmod.dlldivx_c32.ax				  mpg4ds32.ax   vid_cvid.xa	 zmbv.dlldivxa32.acm				  msadp32.acm   vid_cyuv.xa

this is on slackware 12 .... check it against what you have maybe you might be missing something ... also i will download that movie and see if maybe there is a way of seeing it ... i need to get VLC but cant seem too access this site now it seems to be down :hmm: slackware VlC as soon as i can i will let you know if i have any success

here is my list:

laan97ac@laan97ac-laptop:~$ ls /usr/lib/win32acelpdec.ax		  l3codeca.acm				 ubv263d+.axalf2cd.acm		   l3codecx.ax				  ubvmp4d.dllaslcodec_dshow.dll   LCMW2.dll					ultimo.dllaslcodec_vfw.dll	 LCodcCMP.dll				 VDODEC32.dllasusasv2.dll		 LCODCCMW2E.dll			   vdowave.drvasusasvd.dll		 lhacm.acm					vgpix32d.dllativcr2.dll		  lsvxdec.dll				  vid_3ivX.xaatrac3.acm		   m3jp2k32.dll				 vid_cvid.xaatrc.so.6.0		  m3jpeg32.dll				 vid_cyuv.xaAvidQTAVUICodec.qtx  m3jpegdec.ax				 vid_h261.xaavimszh.dll		  mcdvd_32.dll				 vid_h263.xaavizlib.dll		  mcmjpg32.dll				 vid_iv32.xaBeHereiVideo.qtx	 mi-sc4.acm				   vid_iv41.xaCLRVIDDC.DLL		 mpg4c32.dll				  vid_iv50.xaclrviddd.dll		 mpg4ds32.ax				  ViVD2.dllcook.so			  msadp32.acm				  vivog723.acmcook.so.6.0		  msg711.acm				   vmnc.dllctadp32.acm		  msgsm32.acm				  voxmsdec.axCtWbJpg.DLL		  msh261.drv				   vp31vfw.dllddnt.so.6.0		  msms001.vwp				  vp4vfw.dllDECVW_32.DLL		 msnaudio.acm				 vp5vfw.dlldivxa32.acm		  msrle32.dll				  vp6vfw.dlldivx_c32.ax		  msscds32.ax				  vp7vfw.dlldivxc32.dll		  msvidc32.dll				 vssh264core.dlldivxdec.ax		   mvoiced.vwp				  vssh264dec.dlldivx.dll			 nsrt2432.acm				 vssh264.dlldnet.so.6.0		  pclepim1.dll				 vsshdsd.dlldrv2.so.6.0		  qdv.dll					  vsslight.dlldrv3.so.6.0		  qpeg32.dll				   vsswlt.dlldrv4.so.6.0		  qtmlClient.dll			   wma9dmod.dlldrvc.so			  QuickTimeEssentials.qtx	  wmadmod.dlldspr.so.6.0		  QuickTimeInternetExtras.qtx  wmsdmod.dllhuffyuv.dll		  QuickTime.qts				wmspdmod.dlli263_32.drv		  rt32dcmp.dll				 wmv8ds32.axiac25_32.ax		  scg726.acm				   wmv9dmod.dlliccvid.dll		   sipr.so.6.0				  wmvadvd.dllicmw_32.dll		  sp5x_32.dll				  wmvdmod.dllimaadp32.acm		 tm20dec.ax				   wmvds32.aximc32.acm			tokf.so.6.0				  wnvplay1.dllir32_32.dll		  tokr.so.6.0				  wnvwinx.dllir41_32.dll		  tsccvid.dll				  wvc1dmod.dllir50_32.dll		  tsd32.dll					zmbv.dllivvideo.dll		  tssoft32.acmjp2avi.dll		   tvqdec.dll

Since the computer says that the wvc1 codec is missing I would not expect to find it in my codec list, but if you go through it you find it:wvc1dmod.dll...?Anil, I could play your version of the file, but only in VLC. Totem tries hard but pixelates, mplayer is no good at all.I do not know what I am missing here.

I see this is for an Xbox game and the trailer is made by Microsoft themselves . . . . I am afraid they made sure that you have to boot Windows ( and maybe even preferably Vista ) to see it . . . :(Maybe just install XP in VirtualBox and play those incompatible files there . . ?:( Bruno

I have come across quite a few of these files, and it appears that some people can play them with no problems even in VLC or other typical players so I rest my case in saying that I must be missing something :-)I will keep searching

I see this is for an Xbox game and the trailer is made by Microsoft themselves . . . . I am afraid they made sure that you have to boot Windows ( and maybe even preferably Vista ) to see it . . . :(Maybe just install XP in VirtualBox and play those incompatible files there . . ?:) Bruno

I have come across quite a few of these files, and it appears that some people can play them with no problems even in VLC or other typical players so I rest my case in saying that I must be missing something :-)I will keep searching
Iaan i thought i could play everything too, and that file that i download from your link it wont work in any of my distros :whistling: .. i even put on cd and brought it over to my neighbors and he has windows xp pro and it wont play there either B) ................ this is the second file this week that i got a file that wont play on windows or linux the other file i got that from a co worker was a in a .shw file extension i will see them on monday and ask what the heck was that lol

You could try to install the latest version of VLC ( vlc-0.8.6c.tar.gz ) because you now have the 0.8.6b . . . . .You can get it here: http://download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/vlc/0.8.6c/Or download a nightly build: http://nightlies.videolan.org/ I am told these do play those files.Here is the very latest: http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/source...-20070819-0005/Or you can run Windows virtuallly in Linux . . . and see the video that way.B) Bruno

• 3 weeks later...