Quotes Thread

epp_b

OK, I'd like to start a quotes thread. This could be funny... :)Here's my first contribution:Ray Ramano (as said through his character Ray Barone)"There's a time to express your feelings, and there's a time to keep of all that crap inside":thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ich bin ein Berliner (I am a Berliner)... John F. KennedySome people see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not?... Robert F. Kennedy

Edited by Plukaduk

This is for those who don't like to think outside the boxChurch: think outside the box. Tucker: hey the box is there for a reason. I like thinking inside of it. I feel safe in thereRed Vs Blue Episode 31

Here's one I like, but I have no idea where I got it:There are absolutes in life: infinity times zero is still zero, and an idiot with experience is still an idiot.

Guest Paracelsus

"She was bred in ol' Kentucky,But she's just a crumb up here.Knock-kneed and double jointed,With a Cauliflower ear.Some day we shall be married,And if vegetables get to dear.I cut myself a nice big slice,Of her Cauliflower ear." - Jerome Horowitz (aka Curly Howard )

Edited by Paracelsus

actually, what he said translates as "I am a doughnut"
I do not know how you came to that conclusion, but you are wrong. :) Go here for the translation from Systran eServiceI might be wrong some of the time, but I'm not with this one... Plukaduk :)

Guest Paracelsus

:offtopic:Actually...RD1 is correct.Translation engines are notorious for not getting the nuances of grammar and local usage correct.There is a very popular style of jelly donut in the Berlin area which is always referred to as "ein Berliner".A resident of Berlin, in referring to his origins, would say... "Ich bin Berliner"... sans the ein.Part of the reason Kennedy received such uproarious response from the crowd when making his speech is that he did, in fact, say... "I am a jelly donut" :)(Revisionist historical claims to the contrary not withstanding):offtopic:... we now return you to the regularly scheduled thread

Edited by Paracelsus

:offtopic:Paracelsus.... you and I both know about your efforts to be "helpful" here in the Water Cooler? Do we need to go about this again? :)

Guest Paracelsus

Oh, Liz! Trying to spoiling all the fun again. ;)That's nothing but revisionist historical propaganda, promulgated by those who wish to continue the myth that JFK was some kind of saint and could do no wrong. :PThere are probably just as many sources confirming the "jelly donut" interpretation.(Now it's your turn to get chastised by Ross549) :)

Edited by Paracelsus

"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."-- Charles Babbage (1791-1871) :)

Guest Paracelsus
"...if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."-- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Ah! Calculation Engines. Perhaps the original mantra was..."Babbage In... Babbage Out??" :hmm: :lol:
i don't perceive the need for maybe 4 or 5 of them, world wide.
Reminiscent of BG's apocryphal pronouncement..."Why would anyone need more than 850KB of Hard Drive??" Edited by Paracelsus

I'll try to find a year and a source but this might be looking for a needle in a haystack!At some point in time, the head of the US Patent Office suggested that it be closed because everything that could be invented already was!!!!Appears that it was another historical misquote. I've been reading the history of the patent office and came across this section

Mr. Ellsworth wrote one sentence in the 1843 report which has been misunderstood and misquoted ever since. He wrote: "The advancement of the arts, from year to year, taxes our credulity, and seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement must end." The statement which is usually falsely attributed to some Commissioner or another, based upon this, is that "Everything that can be invented has been invented." No Commissioner has ever said this, and probably no Commissioner has ever thought it. In his 1988 book, Victory without War, Richard Nixon attributed the latter statement as of 1899 to Commissioner Charles H. Duell, who also never said it
Source: http://www.myoutbox.net/popch18.htm Edited by zlim

Why would anyone need more than 850KB of Hard Drive??
Actually it was 640K of RAM (uh-oh, facts in the water cooler... *knock* *knock* ... it's the Water Cooler Cops! :hmm:)

Your manuscript is both good and original, but the part that is good is not original and the part that is original is not good.    Samuel Johnson
;) patio. :hmm:

Alexander Pope's Essay on Criticism.A little Learning is a dang'rous Thing;Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian Spring:There shallow Draughts intoxicate the Brain,And drinking largely sobers us again.The full version is available here... Alexander Pope

Philosophers songImmanual Kant was a real pissantWho was very rarely stableHeidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggarWho could think you under the tableDavid Hume could out consumeSchopenhauer and HegelAnd Wittgenstein was a beery swineWho was just as schloshed as SchlegelThere's nothing Nietzche couldn't teach ya'Bout the raising of the wristSocrates, himself, was permanently pissedJohn Stuart Mill, of his own free willOn half a pint of shandy was particularly illPlato they say, could stick it awayHalf a crate of whiskey every dayAristotle, Aristotle was a bugger for the bottleHobbes was fond of his dramAnd Rene' Descartes was a drunken fart"I drink, therefore I am"Yes, Socrates, himself, is particularly missedA lovely little thinkerBut a bugger when he's pissed---- Monty Python