Cable splitter

Grasshopper

Grasshopper

Here's a dumb question :'( that I didn't want to call Cox for.Is is possible to run your cable modem on a cable splitter and also watch TV from the other side of the splitter???I only have one cable outlet in my office and have an extra TV.tbird

yepsplit the cable as it comes out of the wallone goes to the modem, the other will need an in-line filter on it and goes to the tvfor each tv you want to use anywhere in the house, there should be a filter before the cable gets to the tv (or cable box, etc)

I've never heard of using an in-line filter... TimeWarner never said anything about it.The one thing you do want to look for is a digital two-way splitter though... They don't look any different than the old ones, but do make a difference

Here's a dumb question  :teehee:  that I didn't want to call Cox for.Is is possible to run your cable modem on a cable splitter and also watch TV from the other side of the splitter???I only have one cable outlet in my office and have an extra TV.tbird
Yes and no. You can, but unless you inform Cox and let them charge you another $35 or so, it's illegal. And I've never used a filter of heard of any such requirement. I, like most people, had cable TV long before I got my broadband connect. Bought my own modem, put in a splitter, called Cox to have them "register" my modem, and I was online.

Yes and no.  You can, but unless you inform Cox and let them charge you another $35 or so, it's illegal.  And I've never used a filter of heard of any such requirement.  I, like most people, had cable TV long before I got my broadband connect.  Bought my own modem, put in a splitter, called Cox to have them "register" my modem, and I was online.
they can't charge ANYTHING extra, and if you have been, then you got suckered by marketing or salesonce the line comes into your house, and you are already paying for cable and i-net, then where and what rooms and how many devices it goes to are none of their businessnow, as far as the filter, it's an in-line cylinder on the coax cable which blocks the frequencies that are used by the i-net signal from getting to your tv and "blowing out" the tuneri've seen tvs wrecked from this. though in some area/systems, it's not totally neccessary, it's a D*** good idea to have one on each tv - the same way a surge protector helps Edited by Peachy

When we added RoadRunner to the pc room my son inquired about TV in his room so I bought a Radio Shack splitter and presto he had TV.However a while latter when my RR service was running slow and the TW repair guy came he replaced the splitter with a different one and my RR problem went away. So there are splitters and then there are splitters. I have no filter on the TV side in my son's room nor do I have a filter on the cable connection downstairs. Nor was one installed or suggested when TW installed RR. So I don't know anything about filters other than we've had RR for over two years and none of the TVs or VCRs have needed to be replaced.It is my understanding that cable service for businesses usually includes both TV and broadband but that could be just in this area. Easy way to find out is to buy a splitter an see what happens.

Grasshopper

I had a spare splitter hanging around (not a very good one obviously... ;) ) and got it going. Net runs fine and I get good signal to the TV up to about channel 23. Channel 24 and up is nothing but snow. I will go find one of the better splitters, but do you think I need to have some sort of an amplifier with this since it's split?

but do you think I need to have some sort of an amplifier with this since it's split?
If things are working, apparently not. B) But a good quality splitter investment isn't a bad idea.I suspect all you're getting is basic cable service which is why the channels drop off after 23. There goes ESPN and those games you were hoping to see. ;)

"Quality" of the splitter is not the real issue... "bandwidth" of the splitter is. In most cases, you will want a 1GHz bandwidth splitter (as compared to the older 300MHz to 500MHz bandwidth devices). Some other important things to consider are terminators and amplifiers. If an amplifier is used, it too must be of the high-bandwidth type. Any unused ports on your splitters should be capped with a 75-ohm terminator to maintain uniform signal levels.

I had cable tv for years before they gave us broadband. When they gaveus broadband, was told to have splitter (they gave me) had to be connectedto the line coming in, then use one line to cable modem, other one to anothersplitter (that was already installed) that went to cable boxes. Had to givecable company number from modem (I bought, now they give them to you forfree) for it to work. Don't know if it would work if you just hooked up withoutcable company knowing. Rich

I'm assuming you're talking about a home office. If this is a system run by an employer, talk to your IT administrator.Rich is right:Most cable companies recommend that the Modem be on the first "split", with nothing else on that branch. Other splitters for TVs, VCRs & etc can be put on the other branch. If you have a lot of TVs, you may need a booster (depends on the strength of the signal). If the modem in yout office is the ONLY thing you have on cable, you could make the "first split" there. If you also have TV in other rooms, the TV should be put on the same branch as the others.NOTE: It probably won't work unless you subscribe to a cable TV package. Most cable companies install filters on the line before it enters your building to ensure that you only get the services that you are paying for. My cable provider used to put them on the building, but now puts them on the utility pole where tampering is more difficult.

Like every thing else in life there is “Bad†splitter (lower bandwidth) and “Good†splitter (higher bandwidth).If the Cable signal happened to be very strong the “bad†splitter will work OK.Otherwise get a Good Splitter (and join the :D association) :D

Grasshopper
"Quality" of the splitter is not the real issue... "bandwidth" of the splitter is. In most cases, you will want a 1GHz bandwidth splitter (as compared to the older 300MHz to 500MHz bandwidth devices).
So are you saying that a larger bandwidth splitter will help my channel issue?I actually have two splitters in the house. The first one I tried was a 2:1 splitter that says 2-900 MHz. Nothing about digital. That one didn't work. I could not get the signal to connect.Then I tried another one I had in the house. A 3:1 splitter that says 3-1000 MHz. That one works. I get a good signal from the cable modem and then good picture up to the TV....until I get to channel 24 or so. Snow.I'll look for a higher bandwidth tonight.

Grasshopper

OK. I went to get a better splitter...a 40-2150 MHz.I get it hooked up and the TV has the same channel problem I had with the other, 3:1 splitter.I spent a little more time on the channels...On my regular cable on my regular TV, Speed Channel is channel 65, which I obviously couldn't get to due to the above problem. On this TV, Speed channel is 14. which I would suppose is just part of some basic cable package. It seems that anything over 12 (over local station stuff) is mixed up. I don't know enough about the cable stuff to know any better.Explanation???? :)

Grasshopper

OK. Tbird is an idiot. Sorry for wasting everyone's time.I forgot to change the TV from Air to Cable...I'm not sure how it got that way cuz I've never used it that way. All channels work fine now.*sheepishly turned away and hides*

Just to add to my own education...once you changed from air to cable, did it make any difference what splitter you used?We have 2 cable lines coming into our home (it was this way from the day we purchased the house). We have 4 tvs so I put a 1:2 splitter on each line. When I wanted broadband, I called an electrician (we don't have cable jacks in the house) to put a jack in the computer room. He put a splitter on one of the lines for the jack. I haven't checked to see how he hooked it up. Our wires are in a part of the basement with very low overhead so I limit going in there. When I got the self install kit from ComCast, it came with a splitter and wires. I'm wondering if I should replace the splitter that the electrician used? Everything appears to be operating well though.

Here's what it really comes down to... How much of the full range of services offered by your cable company do you use?Years ago, with a standard cable package (no premium channels, basic cable line-up only), 450MHz splitters and amplifier worked fine. When I added cable internet access (as soon as it was available!), I had to change out the first splitter for a 1GHz type in order to get the best performance. With the 450MHz splitter in place, I could get an internet connection, but it was spotty and extremely slow.When I added digital cable service to my package, I had to change out the low-bandwidth splitters for 1GHz types everywhere in the cable runs that lead to my digital convertor boxes. This was necessary to access things like the OnDemand and Pay-Per-View features, but it also greatly reduced the pixelation that had been there as well.

Anyone know a good place to get the hi freq. splitters? I've only got one good cable outlet in my apartment, but have 2TV's and cable internet... I've got 1 2-way splitter (1Ghz) that the cable company gave me, but I'm not using it as I put in a 3-way splitter (only up to 900Mhz). I'd like to either get a good 3-way splitter or another 2-way to add to the mix. The department stores (Target, Walmart, etc.) don't have any good ones, and Radio Shack doesn't either...

The Radio Shack "Gold" series of CATV accessories -- splitters, amps, etc. are all high-bandwidth and will work fine. However, ckeck your PM, Ryan... :)