19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:29 PM

I'd like to know what folks here think about this.

Article: https://www.ostechni...nline-for-free/

Site: https://distrotest.net/

I went there and played around with Debian and Linux Mint (Cinnamon), using Pale Moon on a fairly low-spec computer (2 GB RAM, CPU: Single core Intel Celeron 900); everything was slow and sluggish for me, but it worked. Kinda cool. Might try things out on a better computer later -- just wanted to get some feedback.

#2 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 05:14 AM

Not working here in Arch and FF, all I get is,

Posted Image

:'(
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:07 AM

Tried it on a different computer here, just now. This time I tested Linux Mint (19 MATE). Did you allow pop-ups?

#4 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,837 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:18 AM

Works fine here on Archlinux (i3wm) and chrome

Posted Image

Neat stuff :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#5 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 07:36 AM

As the article says, "If you don’t want to enable the pop-ups in DistroTest page, just use any locally installed VNC client applications in your system. The VNC client login details are given in the same page itself." Well, I have never used a VM, so I clicked "Open VNC Viewer" and did it that way. Disabled pop-ups.

It's way too slow on my hardware, but that's okay, nice for taking a quick look at a distro, I guess. For my purposes, I still think that a live session from a flash drive is the best way to go if I want to take a look at a distro. This was my first time actually seeing MATE in action. Looks fine, but I'm still not planning on installing it any time soon.

#6 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,837 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:43 AM

Odd, I do not have any VNC client installed and it ran just fine. I figured it was embedded, sort of like sites do with Citrix.

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#7 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:34 PM

I think it might be necessary to allow cookies for this to work, not sure.

#8 OFFLINE   raymac46

raymac46

Discussion Deity

• Forum MVP
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

Can't connect - just times out both in Linux and Windows.
Posted Image

Registered Linux User 445659

#9 OFFLINE   mhbell

mhbell

Posting Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:56 PM

Can't connect. it just times out using Siduction or Mint. Must be a awful slow site.
Registered Linux User #239772
Mint 18.1 Cinnimon, MX-16, Siduction LXQT, Debian Stretch, and Other Linux Distro's
https://pctechman.wordpress.com/

#10 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,837 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:57 PM

View Postraymac46, on 10 July 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

Yeah, site seems to be getting hit too hard. I seen a post on reddit earlier so they probably cannot handle the traffic.

#11 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:29 PM

View Postsecuritybreach, on 10 July 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

View Postraymac46, on 10 July 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

Yeah, site seems to be getting hit too hard. I seen a post on reddit earlier so they probably cannot handle the traffic.
Same timeout. "D***" reddit!
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#12 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:39 PM

I took a look at Linux Lite 4.0 earlier today, after reading this week's review of that release at DistroWatch. Took me over an hour to get it at this site. Would have been faster to download the iso and run a live session from a flash drive, and I probably would have spent more time checking it out if I had done that. Seems comparable to MX, anyway.

#13 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,837 posts

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:41 PM

It's back up and the queue is very short. I was loaded up in less than a minute.

#14 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:03 AM

Well it still ain't working here,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any ideas folks ? :'(
Install ARCH

#15 OFFLINE   saturnian

saturnian

Multithreader

• Members
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:57 AM

Looks to me like you're right there. You allowing pop-ups, and cookies at the site? I wrote up a little something here: http://monksblog-mal...ng-distros.html

#16 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,837 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:46 AM

View Postabarbarian, on 12 July 2018 - 05:03 AM, said:

Well it still ain't working here,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any ideas folks ? :'(

I bet that it is an extension blocking/affecting it. Simply go through them, disabling and testing until you find the culprit.

#17 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:59 AM

Posted Image

Well I finally made it. I had to disable all my add-ons in FF and once I had clicked the start button for the chosen distro and it had loaded I had to click on the "reload current page" button in FF for everything to work.

I tried Gecko, worked ok. DREFT which did not seem to load or work apart from a home screen.An Arco linux which worked. Both os's that worked ran ok not very fast but at a reasonable speed. The mouse was a tad slowish on both. In Arco I made a simplescreen video and it worked and the video ran ok too.

:breakfast:
Install ARCH

#18 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,837 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 04:58 AM

Good deal :thumbsup:

#19 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,616 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 05:12 PM

Well I have tried to connect to the internet with several of the distros but can not make a connection. So can these distros connect or not ?  Distro Test says you can install and uninstall programs and have full functionality. Maybe my penguin foo is out of whack or possibly non existent. :breakfast:
Install ARCH

#20 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,837 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 06:03 PM

That is odd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users