PaperPort v6

zlim

My import/export functionally of my Visioneer 7600 and PP v6 is broken. It worked at the end of January. When I try to import or export a scan in most every format (the exception is paperport's own exe with a mini-viewer) an error comes up about not being able to load GEAR32PD.DLLI searched and I have this file in my windows/system folder (98SE). Since the software is so old as well as the OS, getting help is next to impossible. I posted on the off chance that someone might be running this software. If you are, please search for GEAR32PD.DLL and post where it is located. I can easily copy it so the software will work provided I have a clue where to put it.I may also look over my windows updates for Feb., Mar., and Apr. and start removing them on the chance that one of those updates broke the software.I'm able to scan inside PP and print the scans. I'm not able to scan using the Visioneer buttons because the same nasty error pops up before the scan is sent to the PP software. It does allow me to save the scan but only as a bmp image and of course it can't be manipulated (straightened, rotated, cropped). If I scan inside PP, I can do all the manipulation but I'm stuck with a .max file and I can't export it to my desktop as a jpg. (Again, this worked up to Jan. 27th).

Marsden11

Error Message "Cannot Load Application Component File GEAR32PD.DLL."SYSTEMS: PaperPort 6.x PROBLEM: While scanning into PaperPort, using one of the links, or Exporting a file, you may receive the following error message: "Cannot Load Application Component File GEAR32PD.DLL". CAUSE: The GEAR32PD.DLL error message is caused by a mismatch of several files, which are necessary for the proper functioning of the links or export features of PaperPort. SOLUTION: Please follow these steps to scan images directly into another program, such as Microsoft Imaging, and then save the image as a .tif file. You will be able to use this .tif file in other applications and in PaperPort: Confirm that your scanner is plugged in, turned on, and working properly. Start > Programs > Accessories > Imaging. File > Select Scanner. Choose your scanner from the list and click on "OK". File > Scan New. Select the settings for your scan and click on the "Scan" button to begin scanning. File > Save As. Name the image and then save the file as a .tif file into c:\ScanSoft Documents (or c:\Visioneer Documents, depending on the version of PaperPort that you have). Exit out of Imaging. Open PaperPort. You should see your image on the PaperPort Desktop. If the image appears as a gray rectangle with diagonal lines across it, right click on the image, select "Refresh Thumbnail", and then a thumbnail view of your image will appear on the PaperPort Desktop. link to source

zlim FWIW I have GEAR32PD.DLL in my Windows\System32 folder. I'm running Windows XP fully updated and Paperport works just fine. I originally got it with my Visioneer 6200 scanner and use it with my HP Scanjet 3500 still.

Guest LilBambi

Another suggestion by a guy on groups.google.com suggested first trying to uninstall the scanner software from SAFE MODE and then returning to normal mode to reinstall.He said he has had better success with that than replacing the file.Might be worth a shot.

Thanks all. I was avoiding uninstalling because now I have to burn all the items I have scanned in the paperport software. (My cousin is working on geneology so I have quite a few very old pictures I scanned and emailed to him in California before I did the actual mailing of photos - just on the off chance the mail would get lost).I'll start easy by putting a copy of the gear file also in system32 folder.Then I'll go thru the steps from Marsden's source. I don't know how you found that but many thanks!Then, as a last resort, I'll uninstall.Ed, do you use it on XP in compatability mode? I tried to install the software in 2K so I could use the scanner on my other desktop but it complained. (Another reason why I keep old computers with software that usually works). ;)

Edited by zlim

No, I'm not using Compatibility Mode zlim. I got to XP by upgrading my Win 98 system that had Paperport on it. I did not install Paperport to XP.

ok, that makes sense. I do have a not on the manual that it only works on 98.Well here's the lack of progress thus far.1. I copied Gear32PD.DLL into system32 and I still get the same error.2. I went thru the 11 step solution to the GEAR problem. When I opened PP and right-clicked to refresh the thumbnail (step 11) I got this error "Could not generate thumbnail for C:\Visioneer Documents\filename.tif because a DLL could not be loaded. Please make sure you have enough memory and that the application is installed correctly." I have the same amount of memory as I had when it worked previously; in fact, I have more memory now then when I first installed the program years ago.I may try to copy that gear dll to the paperport folder to see if that makes any difference. If not, I can always remove it.I may also remove some of windows updates to see if that helps.(Notice how I waste time to avoid burning the max files and uninstalling PP software).

I may try to copy that gear dll to the paperport folder to see if that makes any difference. If not, I can always remove it.I may also remove some of windows updates to see if that helps.(Notice how I waste time to avoid burning the max files and uninstalling PP software).
:thumbsup: Aren't most of the Win 98 updates only for IE?Two things to consider before deleting PP;There is a .MAX file viewer. I have it on my daughter's pc I believe.It might be wise to convert your .MAX files to .BMP or .JPG for maximum portability should the PP problem not be resolvable. PP doesn't do thumbnails for .GIF files on my machine. It was suggested I uninstall/reinstall by the vendor, about 2-3 urs ago, but I have never done that. :blink:

It might be wise to convert your .MAX files to .BMP or .JPG for maximum portability should the PP problem not be resolvable.
You see that is my problem; I can't convert max files to anything. I get the error message.I am able to only convert a max file to an exe with a portable viewer - not the solution I want. I've always been able to convert my max files to jpgI've been reading at the support site and complaining! I get as far as the last step in the solution, get the thumbnail error and then support stops. Apparently the knowledge base has no article mentioning a thumbnail error nor any article dealing with export error. One of the solutions told me I had spyware, LOL. I run The Cleaner, AVG, AdAware, ZA, CounterSpy, SpywareBlaster and I sit behind a router! Since I'm beta testing CounterSpy, I do a full scan almost everyday to report any false positives. I also from time to time have to upload logs so they can see what is mentioned and at what locations.Despite support, telling an incorrect location for my files C:\PaprPort\Data when it actually is C:\Visioneer Documents, I think I can store them elsewhere on the computer rather than burning them to a CD or saving on a USB drive. I can then do an uninstall of the software and the driver. I have two methods: manual and automatic. I printed out the manual and downloaded the exe file for the automatic.I also discovered that I only had one update listed by MS and that was April 12th KB912812. It is IE6SP1 update and it isn't listed in add/remove programs. The closest item would be to completely remove SP1 and tools. I'm not about to do that.Before I do anything on the 98 computer, I may try to install the scanner on 2K. There is a USB driver, which I downloaded for 2K and XP. I haven't printed out the install directions but I will.

Hey Zlim -- I am running PaperPort for HP Ver.B (I know it is O-L-D) which I received when I purchased the HP ScanJet 5P and am running Windows 98SE (also very O-L-D) but it all still works. I Found the GEAR32PD.DLL inC:\\ProgramFiles\Corel\Print Office\Plugins\AutoFXhope this helpsHB

Thanks. I do believe I have WordPerfect Office on this computer (I'm not sure what Print Office is).Maybe if I just put gear all over the place, I'll strike gold and put it where it expects to find it. :hysterical:I may do a bit more searching later today. I managed to get the pictures scanned and printed. At one point the software complained about the printer link so I printed through the menu and then it printed two copies (thru the link and the menu). I do need to be able to change from max to jpg so eventually after wasting more time, I'll probably remove software and driver and reinstall. I think once I get it working properly again, I'll have to ghost or take a true image of the computer.

Ok zlim, two links for you.1. http://www.geocities.com/izenkov/product-max.htm2. http://www.snapfiles.com/get/paperport.htmlThe latter link is the sw my daughter has. It allows you to view .MAX files but not convert them. (The 1st link is suppose to do that.) However, depending on how many .MAX files you have, each file you view you can capture the image's window, Alt+Print Screen, open Paint and Edit>Paste it in and save it in whatever format you desire. If you have a lot of .MAX files an easier means to capture the screen images is to use a utility like Gadwin's Print Screen.All sw referenced is freeware. :D hth

Thanks Ed. I'll take a look at the first item. The first item, also contains a max viewer. I just unzipped it and was examining the files. (I haven't fired up the old computer yet but I will test this in the wee hours of the morning). Paperport does allow me to change the max file to an exe that I can email to anyone and they can view it. (It's the only one of the conversions that is working presently). So I suspect my version came with its own miniviewer. I just don't like sending folks an exe file. I always feel I need to send an email explaining what I'm doing before I send it so that they can be on the lookout and not dump the exe as a possible virii file.Actually I only have 3 current scans, max files that I'm unable to convert, because all my previous scans worked fine. This just might save me doing an uninstall/reinstall.I'm also going to try and install on my 2K computer. If it works on there, I can put the max files on a floppy, move them to the other computer and convert them in 2K.Sadly it didn't work. I fired up the max converter and I get the error message that a max file isn't a max file! HUH??? B) I wonder how many different max files there are? I'll need to go to the file extensions site and see what it says.I found four max file types so far

MAX 3D scene (Kinetix 3D Studio Max)MAX Document (Paperport)MAX Layout file (OrCad)MAX Source code (MAX)
So his max isn't my max.Looks like my next shot is to try an install on 2K. Edited by zlim

The story continues. I cleaned out all the remnants of Visioneer and Paperport using a 5 page script printed from the site. I also downloaded two programs to clean up. One ran and one gave me an error message. I searched thru the registry and removed everything Visioneer and paperport that was left! The first install hung at 98%. I cancelled it after waiting at least 10 min. Paperport installed but the scanner driver didn't. Soooo, I went thru the same cleanup process later in the day. I aslo went to the site to see if I could get any help on the error message i was getting on the one cleanup tool. The second install worked BUT I got a popup close to the end telling me I wasn't running windows 98. (I know all those updates makes the OS unrecognizable, LOL). The software and driver installed. I tried the scan button and I get the same GEAR error that started all this. The print button works perfectly. I can either use the button on the scanner and it will send it to the printer or I can launch PP scan it from there and drag my scan to the printer icon and it works. Obviously the connecting link between scanner/software/printer isn't broken.I won't go thru another uninstall/reinstall on my 98. I will either try an install on ME, creating a restore point so I can remove it easily if I get the same error or an install on 2K. The driver I downloaded works for all OSes except XP with SP2. I have printed directions on how to copy the software to the computer, remove the driver folder and then install the particular driver for that OS. If it works on ME maybe I can search for GEAR and see exactly where it needs to be placed for a correct link. You better believe if I discover that, I will be taking extensive notes for the next time it breaks AND shouting for joy that I got it to work again.

Let's just say I'm stubborn! I know this did work properly for years...now I want it back to the way it was. If I can't get it to work on the original computer, I have a few others to try it on. I actually have a very old,slow 120MHz running 98SE which I don't take on the internet so I don't update it. hmmm, I may try an install on that computer and monitor the installation process to see what is placed where. I never even gave that a thought until now. The specs in the manual say that it requires an IBM PC or 100% compatible Pentium or equivalent. Since there is a pentium logo on the front of the dinosaur, it meets the minimum requirements. It also has working USB ports. Considering it shipped with 95 on it, it was ahead of its time.

Edited by zlim

Continuing my saga...I installed Total Uninstall on the 120MHz 98SE so I could monitor the scanner install. I started it up then couldn't open the CD tray to popin the scanner software. I discovered the system did not detect my CD drive. Closed down, unhooked, opened up the computer, replaced the ribbon cable and there was a spare power connector so I switched the one attached to the CD with the spare one. Put everything back together, fired it up and YES we had the CD again. Not sure if it was the cable or power. I threw the ribbon cable away. If the drive dies again, maybe I'll revert back to the old power connector.I started Total Uninstall again, the installed the scanner software and went back to view the changes. I was able to save the changes to a text file which I have on a floppy. I was going to print it out but when I saw it was over 70 pages, I scratched that idea.I fired up the scanner, put a picture in, it scanned perfectly with the scan button and sent the scan to the paperport software without complaint. I was then able to export the max file as a jpeg to the desktop - just the way it has worked for years.Then I went and searched for the GEAR32 file. It appears in one location C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM the same place it is in on the broken computer. Clearly GEAR is not the problem. Now all I need to do is maybe look over 70 pages of files and see if I can figure out what is actually broken!At this point, moving the scanner to the old computer on the rare occasions I need to scan a picture and export it as a jpeg onto a USB drive so I can email it or archive it on CD on a newer computer seems like my best option. I can't let the scanner attached to that computer because it's in the bedroom on a small computer table my husband built to my specs and there is no place to keep it permanently attached.