Strange action after installing "Deepin"

mhbell

I have been downloading and installing Distros to the second SSD disk in my computer to test and try them out. At the time I had 6 Different ones installed to the second SSD Disk. I have Disk one which is P-1, and Disk 2 which is P-2 in the Bios. I downloaded and installed "Deepin" to try it out. I installed it on P-2 and thought I told it to install grub to P-2 /dev/sdb2 which is the EFI partition on SSD disk P-2 I use Mint Grub on SSD disk P-1 to boot all OS's. When I booted up I found that "Deepin" had put Grub in the EFI partition of P-1 instead of P-2.

To get rid of it I reinstalled my mint grub that I use to boot everything using the Code "sudo grub-install /dev /sda2" which is the efi partition on the SSD disk on P-1 it said succeeded no errors. I then did a "sudo update-grub" and rebooted. When I booted up "Deepins" grub came up. The only way I could get rid of it was to Use gparted to remove it from the SSD disk p-2, and do a grub update and re-install grub to the efi partition on SSD disk P-1. That did the trick, but am wondering if that was a fluke or something that Deepin does on purpose. Deepin comes from china.

No I am not paranoid just wondering. BTW Deepins desktop and GUI is completly different, but you can still use apt and the command line.

Mel

Edited by mhbell

I tried an install of Deepin to my Windows 10 VirtualBox. It warned me that this was not a good idea and that I should install it on the rails. I went ahead and it installed OK. I was even able to get the Guest Additions working.

However the update and upgrade from the command line was massive - 928 packages. It prompted me to reinstall grub halfway through the upgrade and then wouldn't accept my selection of the MBR on the virtual disk. Eventually the display crashed and I wasn't able to complete the upgrade. Doesn't look that stable to me.

Well I can't say that it didn't warn me.

Edited by raymac46

Tried a second install and update and after the update added the Guest Additions. It seems to be working OK now. But I don't think it would be my go to distro. If anyone else is going to try it, edit the sources.list file to put in a mirror that isn't in China. There are a couple in the US and one in Canada. Otherwise updates are painfully slow.

Deepin%20VBox_zps2vhzwamv.png

Here is the VBox screen.

Edited by raymac46