Installed ARCH Linux on my /dev/sda drive

réjean

Well! I did replaced Manjaro with Arch Linux. I did followed advices in a different thread and did not installed a bootloader during the installation but that's okay. I can boot into it.

What i get is a terminaltelling me;

Arch Linux 3.12.7-2-ARCH (tty1)
rejean login:rejean
password:
Login incorrect

rejean login:root
password:
[root@rejean ~]#startx
-bash startx:command not found
[root @ rejean]#

so I tried;

# pacman  -Syu
:: Synchronizing package database ...
error: failed to update core (unable to lock database)
							    extra
							    community
				    synchronize any databases
				    init transaction (unable to lock database)
				    could not lock database: Read-only file system

I hope that I don't have to reinstall and I sure tried to follow all the instructions to the letter.

I guess I missed a few steps during the installation;

#
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>    <dir>    <type>    <options>    <dump>    <pass>

and

#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.
#
# See journald.conf(5) for details

[Journal]
#Storage=auto
#Compress=yes
#Seal=yes
#SplitMode=login
#SyncIntervalSec=5m
#RateLimitInterval=30s
#RateLimitBurst=1000
#SystemMaxUse=
#SystemKeepFree=
#SystemMaxFileSize=
#RuntimeMaxUse=
#RuntimeKeepFree=
#RuntimeMaxFileSize=
#MaxRetentionSec=
#MaxFileSec=1month
#ForwardToSyslog=yes
#ForwardToKMsg=no
#ForwardToConsole=no
#TTYPath=/dev/console
#MaxLevelStore=debug
#MaxLevelSyslog=debug
#MaxLevelKMsg=notice
#MaxLevelConsole=info

securitybreach

Yup that would be your issue. Part of the installation is generating an fstab. Did you follow the Beginner's Guide or my Tutorial?

I thought there were a few things I could skip since I had the partitions already done. I'll reinstall tonight following the guide and see what happen. I also thought I had written down everything.

I also thought I had written down everything.

This is why it would be a good idea if folk were able to snag the relevant pages from the wiki to use as e-books or pdf's. :whistling: So much easier than writing and all that. :whistling:

Good choice of os rejean. Have fun. :clap:

• Like 1

Almost there!

I reinstalled making sure that I was not skipping anything. I got as far as installing kde (completed) then I did;

#systemctl start kdm.service

then I got a splashscreen or whatever it is called ( blue with some red or pink colors). I didn't have a chance to do

#systemctl enable kdm.service

so I rebooted,logged in as root and did it. Now there must be something wrong with my notes because I am having a hard time installing the codecs. So when I reboot I have a screen login. I put my name in and my password and then I get the same KDE image; blue with pink but if I try to click at the bottom left ( or anywhere for that matter) I get noting.

I'll check the codecs command again and make sure everything is fine and retry installing them. In the meantime if anyone has a suggestion I would appreciate it.

I did it! I did it! I managed to get a panel and then all I had to do was to add the Application Launcher Menu and I am now in business. I installed Firefox and here I am replying from Arch Linux. Hurray!Thanks a lot Josh for your patience and most of all for your tutorial. They were greatly appreciated. I still have to install a few plugins and that is all for tonight. My brain needs a brake.

• Like 1

and here I am replying from Arch Linux

Yay! Great feeling, isn't it?

I'll be very interested to see how things go for you. Something I've wondered about -- and anyone else should feel free to chime in here -- well, I've wondered how much more time-consuming it would be to run Arch with KDE instead of with something like Xfce, like I'm doing here. Thinking that there would be lots more updates/upgrades with KDE. Maybe even more potential for breakage.

I like KDE as much as I like Xfce or anything else, but it seems easier to go with KDE in something like Debian Stable or Kubuntu LTS, and with something like Xfce or Openbox in a "cutting-edge" distro. For example, I also run Sabayon's KDE spin, and the KDE upgrades can be pretty massive.

• Like 1

Super effort rejean :clap: Welcome to the Archway. I just know you are going to have loads of fun with your new toy.

In the meantime if anyone has a suggestion I would appreciate it.

In answer to the above.

Install a stable secondary WM like this for instance,just for those very rare occasions when KDE borks on you.

https://wiki.archlin...hp/Window_Maker

Also you might consider, and only if you really think it is worth the effort :whistling: reading through and possibly implementing some of these suggestions.

https://wiki.archlin...ndex.php/Backup

https://wiki.archlin...index.php/Rsync

https://wiki.archlin...ckup_with_rsync

Oh yeah an don't forget to join Josh's gang at G+ :breakfast:

An at the bottom of this page you might find help in getting that behemoth KDE going,

https://wiki.archlin...php/Prelink#KDE :Laughing:

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

Yay! Great feeling, isn't it?

I'll be very interested to see how things go for you. Something I've wondered about -- and anyone else should feel free to chime in here -- well, I've wondered how much more time-consuming it would be to run Arch with KDE instead of with something like Xfce, like I'm doing here. Thinking that there would be lots more updates/upgrades with KDE. Maybe even more potential for breakage.

I like KDE as much as I like Xfce or anything else, but it seems easier to go with KDE in something like Debian Stable or Kubuntu LTS, and with something like Xfce or Openbox in a "cutting-edge" distro. For example, I also run Sabayon's KDE spin, and the KDE upgrades can be pretty massive.

Actually KDE releases have been quite stable and matured for the most part over the last few years. It's not any more difficult to maintain than gnome or xfce is. You can even choose to do a kde minimal install if you do not want all the added K-programs.

And of course, there is a massive KDE wiki entry full of tips and tweaks you can do: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Kde

BTW Excellent job Rejean!! I was at work last night when you finished the install. :thumbup:

• Like 1