Importing music, pics, etc.

SueD

Scot's Newsletter Forums does not encourage or condone violating any law regarding copyright or DRM/DMCA (U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act) in the USA, or similar laws that may exist in other countries. Some of the software mentioned in this thread may be illegal to use in your location. Copying certain CDs/DVDs may also be illegal in your location. Even if you may believe these laws to be unconstitutional, unethical, silly, and a violation of consumer fair use rights, please check the laws for your location before following the advice in this thread. . . . . . -- Forum Admins & Moderators
First off I want to say I've been using PCLos exclusively for the past 2 weeks and loving it. :devil: I've got it installed on my D drive while XP is still on C. I'd love to import my music files, pictures & image files and bookmarks over to D (that's the only thing that keeping me from dropping Windows totally) but I see no way to do this. It doesn't look like Linux recognizes my C drive at all.Can this be done or am I stuck?And another thing, off topic here...do I have a character map and if so, where is it?! There are occasions I need to write in French and I don't want to convert my keyboard if I don't have to.Sue

Hi SueAbout the easiest way to do that is click on the "My Compter" icon on your desktopThen "Storage Media" that should show your hard drives etc...then click on your windows (probably hda1) ..located the files you need , right click on the file and copy to home (or whatever subdirectory.

I usually just open my home directory, and use the arrow key to arrow up to / then click on mnt and then windows, you can split the screen and drag files from windows into your linux home directory.

Hi SueAbout the easiest way to do that is click on the "My Compter" icon on your desktopThen "Storage Media" that should show your hard drives etc...then click on your windows (probably hda1) ..located the files you need , right click on the file and copy to home (or whatever subdirectory.
Yay, that worked! Ok, got my music files imported (figured I'd try them first). Do Linux and iTunes not play well together?Now I'm off to get my Bookmarks. :devil:
I usually just open my home directory, and use the arrow key to arrow up to / then click on mnt and then windows, you can split the screen and drag files from windows into your linux home directory.
Cool, that works too....thanks! :whistling:

On the itunes, you might want to check out "Amarok and Banshee" I believe both are in the repository and thru synaptic to install.( also if you haven't done so...get the multimedia pack from the repository also)

That's exactly what I was looking for...thank you! :)
Ok, still having problems. Got all my pics moved so that's good. Music files won't work, no matter what I try. I'd like to guess there's some kind of conflict between iTunes and Linux but I've also got uploaded CDs from my private collection on my C: drive that won't work after being imported. Hmmm.As for my Firefox Bookmarks, nope, can't import them. Soooo, I thought of exporting them from my C: drive. Funny, but Windows doesn't seem to recognize my D: drive anymore.Help!

I have problems getting .wma files to work, think you need windows codecs for them. I have no problem if they are .wav or .mp3 files though.With firefox bookmarks try exporting them to a file on the desktop and then save them on your linux desktop and import from file, works for me. I actually send a copy of my bookmarks to my gmail account so I can get them from any where.If your D drive is formated with a linux format, windows will not see it unless you get add on software. Sorry I have no idea what it is called though.

With firefox bookmarks try exporting them to a file on the desktop and then save them on your linux desktop and import from file, works for me. I actually send a copy of my bookmarks to my gmail account so I can get them from any where.
I was afraid I was going to have to do that with my pictures. I have ALOT of pictures.LOLThanks for the tip, I'll give that a try.

Hi Sue i am happy your having a great time with Pclos, and yes windows cant see linux partition.. but if you export your bookmarks in your windows, and then when you go to pclos you can copy your bookmarks and then import them .... as far as Ipod there is amaroK and gtkpod also if your not sure how to use synaptic here is a great example to get started... seems as your having fun thats the most important thing :)

Hi Sue i am happy your having a great time with Pclos, and yes windows cant see linux partition.. but if you export your bookmarks in your windows, and then when you go to pclos you can copy your bookmarks and then import them .... as far as Ipod there is amaroK and gtkpod also if your not sure how to use synaptic here is a great example to get started... seems as your having fun thats the most important thing :)
Hi Louis,Yup, I'm having a grand old time with PCLos. And not one freeze up the past two weeks! XP may have gotten rid of the BSOD but it froze on me every two days or so.LOLI figured out how to use Synaptic within hours...neat stuff in there! I love how I can customize things to the way I want, just like my Firefox. No junk unless I want it. :D I'm going to try a few things tonite to export my bookmarks and hopefully I'll figure it out. My music, OTOH, may be a different story. It seems I can import the files but nothing, including Amarok, can play them. Something about not being able to decode them. But I'm not ready to give up.

hehe Sue you keep that up and soon you will be teaching us things, i am glad that your having fun and learning new things :) as far as Something about not being able to decode them. hmmm honestly i am not sure if your missing any special codecs for that... you can always do a search for codecs and see if there is anything interesting there ...

# apt-get update;apt-cache search codecs

or maybe

# apt-cache search ipod

and see what comes up

FF bookmarks I can help with. I save my bookmarks on a floppy and import them all the time into other windows and linux. The file/import doesn't work on a distro I was on yesterday but you can use Bookmarks/ManageBookmarks/File/Import quite nicely. If you need help, just yell.As far as Amarok, I've been having trouble with that lately. One computer likes mplayer and the other xxms (I think that is the correct name).Be sure that you use synaptic to install libdvdcss and/or libdvdcss2.

hehe Sue you keep that up and soon you will be teaching us things, i am glad that your having fun and learning new things :) as far as Something about not being able to decode them. hmmm honestly i am not sure if your missing any special codecs for that... you can always do a search for codecs and see if there is anything interesting there ...
# apt-get update;apt-cache search codecs

or maybe

# apt-cache search ipod

and see what comes up

Hmm, my files, at least the ones I bought from iTunes are AAC and may DRM protected. Bummer. I may have to rethink getting rid of XP totally if I want to keep the convenience of d/l my favourite tunes.BTW, when I entered your codes in the Konsole (that was my fist time....cool!), I got the following for the first one...E: Could not open lock file /var/state/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission denied)E: Unable to lock the list directoryAnd nothing for the second one.Sue

Hmm, my files, at least the ones I bought from iTunes are AAC and may DRM protected. Bummer. I may have to rethink getting rid of XP totally if I want to keep the convenience of d/l my favourite tunes.BTW, when I entered your codes in the Konsole (that was my fist time....cool!), I got the following for the first one...E: Could not open lock file /var/state/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission denied)E: Unable to lock the list directoryAnd nothing for the second one.Sue
yeah Sue, i know cos your working as a regular user thats why you get the (13 Permission denied) always look for the $ and # that is user and you will have to log in as user $ su then your in root :)

yeah Sue, i know cos your working as a regular user thats why you get the (13 Permission denied) always look for the $ and # that is user and you will have to log in as user $ su then your in root :)
Hmm, I thought since I was the only one who used this computer, I was always logged on as user. I get it now!LOLOk, with the first code, I get...Get:1 http://distro.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004 release [1938B]Fetched 1938B in 11s (176B/s)Get:1 http://distro.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/os pkglist [671kB]Hit http://distro.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/os releaseGet:2 http://distro.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/updates pkglist [612kB]Hit http://distro.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/updates releaseGet:3 http://distro.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/texstar pkglist [148kB]Hit http://distro.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/texstar releaseGet:4 http://distro.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/93 pkglist [59.1kB]Hit http://distro.ibiblio.org pclinuxos/2004/93 releaseFetched 1491kB in 25s (59.6kB/s)Reading Package Lists... DoneBuilding Dependency Tree... Donecupid - Audio/Video capture GUIgmencoder - GNOME2 audio/video encodergtranscode - GTK frontend for transcodelibquicktime - A library for manipulating QuickTime fileslibquicktime0 - Shared library of libquicktimelibquicktime1394_0 - Shared library of libquicktime1394mplayer - Movie player for linuxopenmcu - H.323 conferencing serverpython - An interpreted, interactive object-oriented programming languagereal-codecs - Real 9 codecs binariesxanim-codecs - XAnim codecs binariesxdtv - XdTV is a software to record & watch TV.ac3dec - A free AC-3 stream decodergstreamer0.10-plugins-base - GStreamer Streaming-media framework plug-insmailman - The GNU Mailing List Management Systemogmrip - Graphical DVD rippersb16_csp - Sound Blaster 16 ASP/CSP control programthoggen - Wizard-style DVD backup utilitywin32-codecs - Win32 codec binarieskonverter - Konverter is an easy to use but powerful KDE frontend for MEncoder.And the second one gives me...castpodder - Graphical podcast catcher and playerlibgpod - Library to access an iPod audio playerlibgpod0 - Library to access an iPod audio playerlibgpod0-devel - Library to access an iPod audio playerfrontline - A GUI frontend for autotracegtkpod - GTK interface to iPodamarok - A powerful media player for Kdekio_ipodslave - iPod Browsing with KonquerorCan you recommend any sites or reading material that would help me learn more about coding? I really want to learn more. :D Edited by SueD

Do you mean command line or writing programs? If you mean command line the best thing out there (which is old and often for sale cheap or cna be downloaded off the web is "Rute's Tutorial" by Paul Sheer.Here is a web version: http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
The command line. It may take me some time to get the right terminology.LOLThanks, that may be exactly what I'm looking for. :)

You are quite welcome. It is an older book but it was my reference guide for my first year in Linux. It proudly sits on my bookshelf. Any time some one uses CLI they are not referring to a foreign language but are abbreviating Command Line Interface. Thought I would let you know that one since it took me a while to figure it out.

Hmm, I thought since I was the only one who used this computer, I was always logged on as user. I get it now!LOLCan you recommend any sites or reading material that would help me learn more about coding? I really want to learn more. :hysterical:
i am Glad that your having so much fun Sue, i am sure that you can get rute and have it installed on your computer as Julia suggest it you can do it this way
apt-get update;apt-get install rute

myself i perfer CLI makes work so much faster only places that i can suggest that i know of is TIPS FOR LINUX EXPLORERS i spend alot of time in there and still do, once Bruno gets back you can ask him to send you that and you install it on your computer .... linux commamnds linux short cuts its alot of fun learning here is another one loads of linux links

Any time some one uses CLI they are not referring to a foreign language but are abbreviating Command Line Interface. Thought I would let you know that one since it took me a while to figure it out.
Hey, any tips you can give me, I will gladly take.LOL I've been doing alot of lurking here and there, reading up on everything. Sue

myself i perfer CLI makes work so much faster only places that i can suggest that i know of is TIPS FOR LINUX EXPLORERS i spend alot of time in there and still do, once Bruno gets back you can ask him to send you that and you install it on your computer .... linux commamnds linux short cuts its alot of fun learning here is another one loads of linux links
Woohoo! Thanks Louis, I should have plenty of reading to last me for awhile.