Suddenly can't mount samba share via cifs

ichase

With all reboot, I simply just mount my samba share on the server with cifs. Works flawlessly everytime. Except for yesterday and today.

[root@arch64 ichase02]# mount -t cifs //192.168.0.10/storage /mnt/server -o username=ichase
Password for ichase@//192.168.0.10/storage:
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

I don't recall anything changing. I have samba upgrades ignored in /etc/pacman.conf on the server because one earlier upgrade caused issues and since ignoring the package it has worked great.

If I had changed something like smb.conf etc, that would be easy. I also rebooted the server as well as my laptop and still resulting Mound error (13): Permission denied? I did read the man page, but I never do good with reading man pages. :-D

I have verified that I can access the storage folder on the server via windows.

Edited by ichase

V.T. Eric Layton

You have Samba upgrades blacklisted, but what about possible dependencies that may have been upgraded recently; a lib file maybe?

When accessing from msWindows, did you use a netbios or network name? sort of wondering if perhaps the ip of the server changed.

or perhaps something amiss with the /mnt/server directory?

• Like 1

In Windows 7 the server automagically shows up in Network places. I simply click on it, put in SAMBA username and password and there it is. I set it to remember password so I put an icon on the desktop and when I click it I have access to the 500GB storage folder on the server.

I cloned the server, so I am going try Josh's recommendation and remove the ignores. Then update SAMBA to current packages. Let's see what happens. ;)

No luck, can still access the file server and printer from Windows 7 but still get the exact same error when trying to mount with cifs

[root@arch64 ~]# mount -t cifs //192.168.0.10/storage /mnt/server -o username=ichase
Password for ichase@//192.168.0.10/storage:
mount error(13): Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

In doing some reading I tried mount.cifs vice mount -t cifs but the resulting error is the same. Also saw using smbfs but get unknown filesystem type.

mount -t smbfs //192.168.0.10/storage /mnt/server -o username=ichase
mount: unknown filesystem type 'smbfs'

Edited by ichase

Great link Josh and also gives me all the direction to add this to my fstab to eliminate the need to manually run the command via terminal. I already knew I could do this, but it's always been just as easy to throw the command as root and poof, I go to thunar and there is my server share files.

I have said on numerous occasions that I am NOT going to run updates on the server. It's not running a GUI it's just a SAMBA portal to my files and printer. BUT, hard head keeps updating the server. :lol: Let's face it, I am a glutton (Look Eric, I spelled it right this time. :hysterical: ) for punishment. :D So with that being said, I may attempt to re-image the server AGAIN and if everything goes back to working fine, LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! :D Updating the server has not caused me any issues except for SAMBA. Some updates to the package has caused headaches that are normally rectified. That is why once downgrading, I set /etc/pacman.conf to ignore the package updates but apparantly has Eric mention there was probably an ADDITIONAL package that was NOT ignored that caused the issue.

• Like 1

Interesting. I it appears that kernel 3.8 dropped support to ntlm and you now have to add the following line to either the cli or fstab: "sec=ntlm" See thread here.

Feel pretty confident that this will fix the issue. If it does, think I will finally get around to updating my fstab so it mounts on boot up. :thumbsup:

I will post tonight if this fixes the issue or not. May expect others that use cifs to mount their server shares will be running into the same issue.

• Like 1

Sure enough, adding sec=ntlm at the end of the line as seen below allows for mounting the samba share now. There seems to be talk that this is not very secure.

# mount -t cifs //192.168.0.10/storage /mnt/server -o username=ichase,sec=ntlm 

I am sure others reading this whom use cifs to mount their SAMBA share and are or will be updating to the 3.8 kernel might find this post useful. ;)

I need to do some research to see if there is a bug in place.

Admin please mark post as solved, thanks :)

Edited by ichase
  • Like 1