error loading operating system pclos

dee

Hello everybody,Again, I had some problems with my filesystem, this time it was damaged after copying an old file from a backup CD. Since then I have the error 'error loading operating system' ...I have already installed anew and more than once installed the bootloader on different partitions with the pclos liveCD2007 but the error is perstistent: 'error loading operating system' which means I can only start from liveCD.What can be done?thanks a lot for helpful information ...dee

I have already installed anew and more than once installed the bootloader on different partitions
Hi Dee . . . so you completely reinstalled PCLos and still are getting errors booting ??You are writing "installed the bootloader on different partitions" . . my question are:1). Are you using the PCLos bootloader to boot your OS'es/distros ?2). Wat other distros do you boot3). Who's bootloader is in the MBR of hda ?:D Bruno

Hi Bruno,to 1) Yes, I am using PCLos Bootloaderto 2) On hda is Wondows2000, on hdb is PCLosto 3) It should be the bootloader of PCLosI connected a USB Harddisk (sda) and tried to use this for startup, installed PCLos on it with bootloader etc. but I get the same Message: 'error loading operating system'thank's a lot for your help bruno ...dee

Hi DeeI would first like to try an experiment ( before we do a new re-install ) . . . . can you boot the Live CD . . you will get to the login screen. I recommend that, on this occasion, you log in as root.Next open a konsole and type "redo-mbr". Follow the on-screen instructions ( you want the bootloader in the MBR of hda )When finished, reboot and see if you still get the error . . . . ( if so I do know another trick but it involves wiping the MBR clean of the bootloader - but not the partition-table - and doing a re-install );) Bruno

Hi Bruno,Sorry,my plans had to change, Im home now ... I hope you are still wanting to help...I did what you suggested but without success, see below ...[root@localhost root]# redo-mbrbash: redo-mbr: command not found dee

... I hope you are still wanting to help...
Sure I do Dee . . . will be happy to !Tell me, what version of PCLos did you use as Live-CD to give the command "redo-mbr" ??:hysterical: Bruno

I'm glad you are back ...I used the CD of PCLos 92 because I did not get the 2007 version started. Now I tried again and for some reason it works again. And the command is working as well: The process stops after showing me the file menu.lst to edit and save with the following content:---timeout 10color black/cyan yellow/cyangfxmenu (hd1,0)/usr/share/gfxboot/themes/pclinuxos/boot/messagedefault 0title linuxkernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux root=/dev/hdb1 acpi=on resume=/dev/sda7 splash=silent vga=788initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.imgtitle linux-nonfbkernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=linux-nonfb root=/dev/hdb1 acpi=on resume=/dev/sda7initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.imgtitle failsafekernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/hdb1 failsafe acpi=on resume=/dev/sda7initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.imgtitle windowsroot (hd0,0)makeactivechainloader +1title windows1root (hd2,1)map (0x82) (0x80)map (0x80) (0x82)makeactivechainloader +1title linux-0kernel (hd1,0)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8.tex5 BOOT_IMAGE=linux-0 root=/dev/sda1 initrd (hd1,0)/boot/initrd.img---What needs to be edited bevor saving ?dee

Hi DeeThat file looks fine and needs no edits . . . . you only have to make sure it writes Grub to the mbr of hda . . ( so not hdb where pclos is but your 1st HD and that is hda ):hysterical: Bruno

Hi Bruno,I don't know how to make shure writing Grub to the mbr of hda.When I just confirm this file, I get a choice to reset the bootloader, but no choice of hda, hdb etc. . After this confirmation the process runs through to the end. A reboot but leads to the same Error.Here is the second part of the process after closing the editor:---BOOTLOADER=GRUB+ M1='The bootloader configuration of the chosen partition will displayed\n\nYou can edit the the configuration and save your changes\n\nYou will be asked if you want to recreate your bootloader'+ '[' 1 -eq 1 ']'+ mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/loop+ '[' GRUB = WINDOWS ']'+ kdialog --title Edit --msgbox 'The bootloader configuration of the chosen partition will displayed\n\nYou can edit the the configuration and save your changes\n\nYou will be asked if you want to recreate your bootloader' 15 80+ '[' GRUB = LILO ']'+ kwrite /mnt/loop//boot/grub/menu.lst+ M1='Do you want to reset your bootloader?'+ kdialog --title 'PCLinuxOS partition selection' --yesno 'Do you want to reset your bootloader?' 15 80+ x=0+ '[' 0 '!= 0 ]'+ mount -t proc none /mnt/loop/proc+ mount -t none /dev /mnt/loop/dev -o bind+ '[' GRUB = LILO ']'+ /mnt/loop/boot/grub/install.sh GNU GRUB version 0.97 (640K lower / 3072K upper memory) [ Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename. ]grub> root (hd1,0) Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83grub> setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 15 sectors are embedded.succeeded Running "install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) (hd0)1+15 p (hd1,0)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst"... succeededDone.grub> quit+ umount /mnt/loop/dev+ umount /mnt/loop/proc+ rm -f /tmp/redolilo.5198[root@localhost guest]# ICE default IO error handler doing an exit(), pid = 5419, errno = 0---In the beginning of the process is a message that more than one PCLinuxOS Distros are found (hdb1 and sda5) and I choose hdb1 as the one who's mbr is to be reinstalled.dee

I see the problem: It installs the new grub in the MBR of hdb . . . and since you boot by default of hda it uses the corrupt bootloader that still is in the MBR of hda.What I would do is get the SuperGrubDisk . . . and see if it lets you boot the PCLos on hdb1 . . . . . more of less like this:

English <Enter><Enter> <Enter><Enter>Gnu/Linux <Enter><Enter>Boot Gnu/Linux <Enter>WaitChoose distro to boot <Enter>This will show you the "normal" PCLos bootmenu
Now, once you are in PCLos you do this:
# grub

And you will get a prompt looking like "grub>" here you type where the menu can be found: root (hd1,0)next you type where to install the bootloader:setup (hd0)and finally you type:quitAnd you will get the *normal* prompt back . . so you can reboot and should see the fixed bootloader.;) Bruno

Aaahh, Bruno you a re my hero, the system is starting up again and it looks like everything is available again Thanks a lot for your help !!! And have wonderfull Christmastime !dee...

Well, not all is the working I found out in the meantime ...Claws mail can not be started and Quanta either.It says: '...could not find claws-mail executable'Do I need to install the package again? And what is with my old mails?dee

the system is starting up again
;) . . Glad it worked !!
Well, not all is the working I found out in the meantime ...Claws mail can not be started and Quanta either.It says: '...could not find claws-mail executable'Do I need to install the package again? And what is with my old mails?
Yep just reinstall the packages( if needed un-install and re-install ) . . . . you mail will not be lost because that lives in your /home directory ;)
And have wonderfull Christmastime !
Same to you and your family ! ;) Bruno
Wishes.png