adding another boot option.

tommyj12

I have installed fedora c-6, and need to add it to the boot options of lilo if possible. I have pclos .93 as my main distro. I know how to get to the configure lilo thru the control center, can I configure it to boot fedora which annaconda is installed in the /boot partition? Or will I have to use grub? Thanks ahead of time. :'(

Hi TommyWelcome to the forum !If you use the PCLos bootloader . . . . . . and during the install of Fedora you installed the fedora bootloader in the / partition of the Fedora install . . . . Then adding the next 2 lines to the PCLos /etc/lilo.conf file will do the trick: ( assumed Fedora is installed on hda?? )

other=/dev/hda??label="Fedora"
( so change the "??" in "hda??" to reflect the partition number you used )After changing the PCLos /etc/lilo.conf file you give the command ( as root )
# sbin/lilo

to write the new bootloader to the MBR, if that command doesn't reports any errors, you are ready to boot both PCLos and Fedora.:'( Bruno

Thanks for the hospitatlity, it's so less daunting knowing there is help so close by. I am used to it from the pclos forums...Bruno I edited the etc/lilo.config like you said however the terminal command returned : no such file or directory.

I punted the command...../sbin/lilo I did sbin/lilo.....DOOOOOOOOOOO Thanks for the help. striker i'm sure i'll need help once I get into FC-6, I have already been checking out some of the links here...... ;) :D

Yes the bootloader shows Fedora, and the boot process starts but right after the /udev I get the screen error VGA mode not supported H:19.1khz V:23.9hz ...I'm assuming this is a hardware detection issue???

Edited by tommyj12

This was from Linux foruns but was for grub, and I can't get it to work for me................................ In GRUB screen, select Fedora title and press 'e'. select 'kernel' line, press 'e' again and add <space> 3 at the end of line.press 'Enter' key and press 'b' to boot up. this will drop you on command line login prompt. log in as root and execute this command. ................It's not dropping t command line line login it still starts to boot and after /udev the vga not supported comes up. Is this to get to run level 3? Any suggestions? :D

Hi StrikerHe uses the PCLos Lilo to link to the Fedora Grub in the / partition of Fedora ;)Hi TommyLooks to me like something went wrong during the install of Fedora and X is not configured correctly . . . in that case using the Grub commands ( e, enter, b ) to boot will not help.There was a command in RedHat called "redhat-config-xfree86" that could be used to reconfigure X . . . but I am not sure what the same command would be in Fedora.I think I would do a re-install of Fedora and pay extra attention to the part where it sets up the xorg configuration.After the install you can use the exact same part in the PCLos Lilo to boot Fedora ( if during the install you again put grub in the / partition of Fedora ):D BrunoPS: What you can try ( if you know how to do it ) is copy the /etc/X11/xorg.conf from PCLos over to the Fedora partition ( same location ) and see if it then boots okay.If you tell us on what partition Fedora lives we can help you with the commands.

Bruno, I think you mean this one:system-config-displayProblem is nothing at all is started, so he won't be able to log into any console or whatever.I think his install went south upon the screen detection or misinforming the installer.At this point a reinstall seems to be the best and quickest option imo.

At this point a reinstall seems to be the best and quickest option imo.
Yep I agree on that one ! :D BrunoPS: On a side-note: is there no "system-config-xorg" ?

I think these are the proper ones:

system-config-date system-config-keyboard system-config-language system-config-lvm system-config-network system-config-network-cmd system-config-printer system-config-rootpassword system-config-samba system-config-securitylevel (incl.SElinux) system-config-display system-config-soundcard system-config-services system-config-time system-config-users system-control-network system-install-packages **** need to give name of package to install
;)Regarding samba: don't know if that one works, I haven't got samba on the machine.edit January 15 2007: added lvm entry.

Yea I hadn' t conceded to a reinstall untill I read your guys posts :thumbsup: :w00t: :angry: Can you guys give me some hints as to what went wrong, and how to avoid it again. If I remember, after selecting some packages and deselecting others: one example the dail-up, and I think one other that I will never need. The installer was pretty much on its on after that.

Actually you need Striker to answer these questions, he is the Fedora expert.But my suggestion would be go for a default install, not adding or removing any packages ( you probably removed one that had essential dependencies and took those down with it )There is a brief howto on the install of FC6 Here:thumbsup: Bruno

Yep, unless you know what you're doing, and by that I mean you need some years fedora experience, just take the defaults the installer offers you.BTW: Haven't I seen you posting around at three or four other forums on the net? Fedora forum,Pclos forum and linux mint, just to name a couple ?

Well I am posting this from my fedora. However I dont have boot options for pclos anymore. I was pretty sure that I installed to boot partitiion and not the mbr. I booted after the install and only the Fedora grub menu showed up. And to answer your question i am A forum junkie, I just can't seem to learn enough. I do love my pclos, I came there after suse, and a short stint in fedora-c 5 which without Stanton Finleys install notes I don't think I would have ever had a functioning system. I am very anxious for Tex's next release. Did I mention I love mm my pclos. If you would be so kind as to tell me how to get lilo back, I would be eternally grateful.

Hi TommyFirst write the Fedora grub to the / partition of Fedora:

# grub-install /dev/hda??

( replace the ?? with the correct number !! )Next: here is how you can get your PCLOs lilo back: Redo LiloYou might have to add the 2 lines for Fedora to it again because by default they would not be included, here they are again:

other=/dev/hda??label="Fedora"
. . and after the edit run "# /sbin/lilo" to write the new lilo to the MBR.:thumbsup: Bruno

( replace the ?? with the correct number !! )Next: here is how you can get your PCLOs lilo back: Redo LiloYou might have to add the 2 lines for Fedora to it again because by default they would not be included, here they are again: . . and after the edit run "# /sbin/lilo" to write the new lilo to the MBR.:thumbsup: Bruno

Ok I will paste the exact command I entered.....tommy]# grub-install /dev/hda2this is what it returned.........bash: grub-install: command not found

Okay TommyInstead of doing "su" . . . do "su - root" to become root and try again.Or give the full path to the executable:

# /sbin/grub-install /dev/hda2

B) Bruno

( replace the ?? with the correct number !! )Next: here is how you can get your PCLOs lilo back: Redo LiloYou might have to add the 2 lines for Fedora to it again because by default they would not be included, here they are again: . . and after the edit run "# /sbin/lilo" to write the new lilo to the MBR.B) Bruno

Ok Bruno thanks got grub in the right place. What is the difference in su and su - root. Thats a new one for me.

I am most gratefu to both you Bruno and Striker for all your help, and remaning patient with this strugglin (at times) newbie :) :P . I hope others can profit from my blunders today. I promise if and when I have the knowledge to give I will with apprecation. B) thnaks again. P.S. I knew that redo lilo command I even booted the live cd hoping it would jog my memory. I won't be forgetting it again

You're very welcome Tommy ! We're here to help :DB) BrunoPS: A few lines about the word "newbie":

We try to avoid the word newbie, it does no justice to the efforts we, also the beginners, put in to learn a new operating system. I think the wish to learn Linux shows a brave attitude and deserves a better qualification. --Bruno