Comcast and xfinity to charge more for heavy usage

mhbell

Got a Email from my ISP today and they are going to start charging more for heavy users. below is a chart they sent me in the email.

Mel

One Terabyte Plan and Unlimited Data option: One Terabyte (TB) included/month If one TB is exceeded, $10 is charged for each additional data block of up to 50 GB/month $200 overage charge limit - no matter how much data is used Unlimited Data Additional $50/month No overage charges — no matter how much data is used each month

securitybreach

They were doing the same thing for years before I moved here except they would charge $10 for every 50gb over the 350gb cap. I was paying on average, $40 extra a month every single month.

They were doing the same thing for years before I moved here except they would charge $10 for every 50gb over the 350gb cap. I was paying on average, $40 extra a month every single month.

In some area's they throttle band width when you reach a certain point. I've had it happen to me after downloading 2 or 3 distro ISO's. I only used 230 GB last month. 23% according to Comcast.

Mel

• Like 1

Not in all areas yet.

Here are the newly capped areas, according to a Comcast FAQ: Alabama (Dothan); California; Colorado; Florida (North Florida, Southwest Florida and West Palm); Southeastern Georgia; Idaho; Indiana (Indianapolis and Central Indiana, Fort Wayne and Eastern Indiana); Kansas; Michigan (Grand Rapids/Lansing, Detroit, and Eastern Michigan); Minnesota; Missouri; New Mexico; Western Ohio; Oregon; Texas (Houston); Utah; Washington; and Wisconsin.

Comcast's data caps already existed in these markets: Alabama (excluding Dothan); Arizona; Arkansas; Florida (Fort Lauderdale, the Keys, and Miami); Georgia (excluding Southeastern Georgia); Illinois; Northern Indiana; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Southwestern Michigan; Mississippi; Tennessee; Eastern Texas; South Carolina; and Southwest Virginia.

Source: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/10/comcast-gets-closer-to-nationwide-data-caps-with-expansion-in-18-states/

Also

Customers can exceed the cap in two "courtesy months" each year before overage charges kick in. "This means that you will only be subject to overage charges if you use more than a terabyte for a third time in a 12-month period," Comcast said.

So basically their doing the save thing they have for years?

True except now the Cap is Higher. I never had a cap before where you paid a overage charge, but did have band width throttling that kicked in at various times.
  • Like 1

The cap is not everywhere. I can find no usage for me and in PA, it appears that this 1TB cap doesn't exist yet. PA is not shown on any of the lists.

Doesn't seem to be enforced here in NJ, at least not in my area, but it does exist. My Comcast account, last time I looked, showed a 300GB "usage meter". I'm wondering what service providers are used by people heavily into streaming their tv, movies, etc.

Doesn't seem to be enforced here in NJ, at least not in my area, but it does exist. My Comcast account, last time I looked, showed a 300GB "usage meter". I'm wondering what service providers are used by people heavily into streaming their tv, movies, etc.

I doubt if it will affect me. I only used 230 GB last month, but I don't know at what point they throttle my band width. It has happened a couple of times when they throttled me down to 5 - 20 KBpS. Comcast Ogden, Utah

Mel

Remind me to not complain so much about Frontier (formerly Verizon) FIOS. :)

Your Reminded Slacker. LoL! I had Frontier when I was living in Nevada. Never had a problem with them.

Mel

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I haven't had any problems with Frontier either (yet). However, I did have to inquire about something when the changeover occurred. They're customer support is scarier than Halloween clowns. :ermm:

I had lunch with a college friend yesterday who volunteers at a local library. The library is switching from Frontier to a local cable company. Not only will the speed be 20 times faster but the price is $20 cheaper per month. The cable company is also paying the 3 month early termination fee that Frontier charges.

When I lived in Nevada the only game in town was Frontier. The other option was a very very slow wireless connection with a antenna 12 miles away on a hill. Frontier was cheaper.

Mel

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, untill Google Fiber shows up in Tampa, I'm stuck with Frontier... for a couple of reasons:

The local cable company cannot compete with Frontier FIOS. I have 50Mbps/50Mbps and unlimited home telephone usage nationwide for $92.80/month. Bright House does not have dedicated pipeline speeds this fast, nor do they offer phone service (other than VOIP). So, I'll stick with Frontier for now. My current subscription package expires in February. I can hardly wait to see what kind of screwing I'll be getting at that time.

Hello,

I don't have a problem with usage based billing per se, however, if you are dramatically underneath the "average" use in your area, the ISP should be obligated to give you a discount. After all, if their bandwidth is such a precious commodity, you should receive some sort of credit against your bill for months of light usage.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 4

I'm with Goretsky. Seems fair on the surface, but not really a fan of the data usage tiers. Flashback visions of early cell phone plans, where the overage "penalty" for exceeding your plan in any given month was more than the next level of data tier. There's no justification for that type of pricing, other than greed, IMO.

And if they "got me", simply because they can; I switch vendors at the earliest opportune moment, you know.....because I can! If I have to continuously look over the shoulder of those I give money to for their service, I'm doing business with the wrong folks. That attitude works for me!

• Like 1

Good luck trying to get any money back from the cable company and phone company!

If the tv is out for hours, you should also get some part of the monthly cost back.

• Like 1

In my experience all the ISP's are a swingeing pack of greedy gits. Anyhow it's so rare to find *fair play* in the capitalist system that WE have allowed to grow up around us .They get one hooked and then gouge their way bit by bit through the pockets of their users.

Of course they always claim the high moral ground .

• Like 1

securitybreach

I mostly agree but I have no issues with Cox Cable. I get 200mbps down and 50mbps up for $90 a month with a soft cap of 750gb. I generally go over the soft cap and they do not complain at all.

If the tv is out for hours, you should also get some part of the monthly cost back.

Comcast has a policy to refund the day if they're out more than (I think) 6 hrs. Trick is, you have to call and specifically request the refund for the outage, you won't get it automatically.

Hello,

I called Comcast when there was an outage earlier this week at home and got a $2.83 credit applied to my bill for the ~3.5 hour outage.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

Comcast has a policy to refund the day if they're out more than (I think) 6 hrs. Trick is, you have to call and specifically request the refund for the outage, you won't get it automatically.

Cablevision (in NJ) has a very similar policy. But again, you have to ask for the refund. Edited by Pete!

I'm going to ask again what I asked earlier in this thread: what ISP do people use who are heavily into streaming their video, etc.? How can anyone do that with a data cap of 300 GB?

• Like 1

securitybreach

I'm going to ask again what I asked earlier in this thread: what ISP do people use who are heavily into streaming their video, etc.? How can anyone do that with a data cap of 300 GB?

I answered that on comment #22. :)

I mostly agree but I have no issues with Cox Cable. I get 200mbps down and 50mbps up for $90 a month with a soft cap of 750gb. I generally go over the soft cap and they do not complain at all.

I have comcast and stream video with Roku and Amazon Fire. Never had a cap before until now. One Terabyte. I only used 23% last month.

I pay $39 a month. I just checked my speed, 358 Mbps download and .97 Mbps upload.

Mel