Ubuntu: Right Click on Folder and "Copy" does what?

BillD

If I right click on a folder in Ubuntu (unlike in PCLinuxOS, etc. where I can drag and drop a file or folder somewhere else in my home and be asked whether I want to make a link or copy) I cannot seem to do this in Ubuntu. In Ubuntu, it just removes it from the original location and moves it to the new, so short of moving it to a flash drive and then putting it somewhere else, I can't seem to copy files and folders. But I notice that if I right click on a folder, one of the options is to "copy"; but where does the copy go to (if it is really doing it)? Thank you,Bill

securitybreach

Well normally when you copy something, it stays in the clipboard (memory) until you paste the file. You can paste using right-click--paste or ctrl-v in the directory you wish to copy it to. Or you can open up a terminal:

$ cp filetomove /directory.you.want.it.moved.to/filename

and it will copy/paste it immediately.

But I notice that if I right click on a folder, one of the options is to "copy"; but where does the copy go to (if it is really doing it)?
Yup, "copy" copies... wherever you "paste" it. Try it out... open Nautilus and "copy" a folder in... dunno... "Music", wherever. Navigate yourself to another location... "Documents", maybe, and do a "paste". See? It works.ALSO: you can hold down the Alt key and drag 'n drop the file from the main window to the destination directory in the [Nautilus] side pane tree. Select 'move' or 'copy' [or 'link']. :thumbsup:

Well you are of course correct. Don't know why that did not work for me before; when I tried it before (several times), the "paste" was grayed out . . . duh.Thank you,Bill

Frank Golden
Well you are of course correct. Don't know why that did not work for me before; when I tried it before (several times), the "paste" was grayed out . . . duh.Thank you,Bill
Ubuntu 10.04 LTS also has 2 handy new right click menu options.In addition to cut\copy there are now options to copy to and move to.Selection either option allows you to copy\move directly to either your desktop or home.There must be a way to add other locations to these options but I haven't figured out how.As it is having an option to copy to or move to the desktop or home is a handy feature since thoselocations are the most common locations to copy\move files to. Edited by Frank Golden

In addition to cut\copy there are now options to copy to and move to.
Wow, what a handy feature! KDE has had that since Jesus walked the Earth. </sarcasm> :thumbsup: In KDE it saves the last 5 destinations you used and has a "Browse" option for other places. It would make sense if Ubuntu does the same.

Yes Kde was great while it was 3.x, but 4 is a nightmare in my opinion. It does not even give me the option to get rid of that mad long horn bull in the center of the PCLinuxOS desktop, which I decided enough is enough and tried the Gnome version, but both used Firefox 3.6.3 which takes up to 15 seconds on some web sites just to start loading the page. So, I thought I would try Ubuntu 10.04 since at least it would be updated for 3 years which is more than seems to be the case with having to reinstall PCLinuxOS every year.However, I am still stuck with Firefox 3.6, , , :hmm: So for the next 9 months (until it expires) I am continuing with Ubuntu 9.1 on my main on line "work" computer.Bill

Edited by BillD

Frank Golden
Yes Kde was great while it was 3.x, but 4 is a nightmare in my opinion. It does not even give me the option to get rid of that mad long horn bull in the center of the PCLinuxOS desktop, which I decided enough is enough and tried the Gnome version, but both used Firefox 3.6.3 which takes up to 15 seconds on some web sites just to start loading the page. So, I thought I would try Ubuntu 10.04 since at least it would be updated for 3 years which is more than seems to be the case with having to reinstall PCLinuxOS every year.However, I am still stuck with Firefox 3.6, , , :whistling: So for the next 9 months (until it expires) I am continuing with Ubuntu 9.1 on my main on line "work" computer.Bill
Bill have you tried Epiphany-browser in the repos, may be quicker than FF 3.6.3

Yes Kde was great while it was 3.x, but 4 is a nightmare in my opinion. It does not even give me the option to get rid of that mad long horn bull in the center of the PCLinuxOS desktop, which I decided enough is enough and tried the Gnome version, but both used Firefox 3.6.3 which takes up to 15 seconds on some web sites just to start loading the page. So, I thought I would try Ubuntu 10.04 since at least it would be updated for 3 years which is more than seems to be the case with having to reinstall PCLinuxOS every year.However, I am still stuck with Firefox 3.6, , , :) So for the next 9 months (until it expires) I am continuing with Ubuntu 9.1 on my main on line "work" computer.Bill
If you want to get "rid" of that "bull" on the desktop, you always have the option of going to the control panel, and DNL'g those pretty nature desktop pictures, and running them in sequential mode (adjustable time frame). I usually download all of them, and set them to stay on my screen for around 15 minutes, before it displays the next one. I also set it for displaying them in "random" mode. It sure beats what MS has to offer!