Burning ISO's

ichase

I have been reading Bruno's tutorials and I read this one in regards to burning ISO's but I am still quite confused.

BURNING ISO'sHere is a short and easy one; in the previous post you learned how to do checksums, so now we can burn them to CD.In Linux:CODE$ cdrecord --scanbus( this will give you a 3 digit number like 0,1,0 ) NOTE: Since kernel 2.6 the above command changed, see HereCODE$ cdrecord dev=0,1,0 downloaded.isoThat's all, really that's all !
Now I will use this example. I just DL the newest version of the Ultimate Boot CD Ver 5.0. (if you have not used this thing it is AWESOME!!!!!) Now I know how to burn an ISO in W1nd0$ utilizing many different burn programs (I use imgburn but that is not so important) but now that I have the new iso, I am confused with the above lesson. In Konsole (Mandriva 2010.0 KDE) do I type cdrecord --scanbus? I have the iso on a disk right now and plan on copying it to my Linux Data partition. So at this point, I need to tell the Konsole where the iso file is in order for it to find it and burn it onto the disk as an actual usable boot CD? Right? :whistling: I know I can use a GUI type program like in WIN, but I am really trying to learn command line functions. Because as you all know, you can't truely run in Linux without becomming proficient in the command line. Thank you all for your help. :"> Edited by ichase

I need to tell the Konsole where the iso file is in order for it to find it and burn it onto the disk as an actual usable boot CD? Right? :">
http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Writing_CD_and_DVD_imagesThe actual command ("cdrecord" or "wodim") depends on whether you have cdrkit or cdrtools installed.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cdrkithttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CdrtoolsBut... that wasn't the answer to your question. Read this:http://www.linuxconfig.org/using-command-l...-burn-iso-image
Because as you all know, you can't truely run in Linux without becomming proficient in the command line.
The GUI Penguin automagically expresses disagreement. Unless the command line is smothered in cod liver oil. :whistling:

Thanks Urmas for the links :whistling: Though in most cases the GUI route is easier, more colorful, less boring etc, but the one thing I have noticed in starting on this journey and the tons of reading I have already done, is so many people when they have problems are given konsole code most in which normally confuses the heck out of me due to the fact that I am new. In other words, I feel as if I would be doing myself an injustice by taking the easy approach to everything with-in Linux. When I decide I want to learn something, I want to learn EVERYTHING I can about it. I guess I am kinda OCD like that. :"> Linux has become MUCH easier then it used to be. So many people are coming out with programs that will do for you what you used to have to type in the command line. But like so many things, the old way of doing things get's lost except for those few people who still know how to do things the old fasion way. :)Fran, thanks for the link. Does K3b come pre-installed with Mandriva or is it something I would need to get from the repositories? Edited: because I should have read the links Urmas posted before asking Fran the above question. :rolleyes: Found my answer. B)

Edited by ichase

Guest LilBambi

Yep, we love k3b. And if you want to see if you have it installed (which as Urmas noted, should be installed), open a commandline and type: which k3b and it will show you the path to k3b which should be /usr/bin/k3b in most cases, usr being the location for most user binaries.

The GUI Penguin automagically expresses disagreement. Unless the command line is smothered in cod liver oil.
I heartily agree Urmas.I will always seek a GUI solution before I use the CLI.I don't think that makes me or anyone like me any less of a linux user.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup. Even I, Mr. I-don't-do-KDE, will give a +1 here for K3b... great app.I use Xfburn. It's not as pretty as K3b, nor does it have all the bells and whistles; but it works well. :whistling:

I heartily agree Urmas.I will always seek a GUI solution before I use the CLI.I don't think that makes me or anyone like me any less of a linux user.
Oh please do not think for an instance that I am saying that someone that uses a GUI sollution over CLI is any less of a Linux user. In actuallity that route falls under the "Work Smarter, Not Harder" path. :"> I know though, that ones like you Frank and Urmas, Fran, Josh, Eric etc can spit out CLI code like nobodys business. :whistling: I would like to be able to get to that point someday. :)So please, do not think I am putting anyone down for going the GUI route. I do apologize if my wording came off condesending. :rolleyes: Edited by ichase

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't think anyone was offended. No apologies necessary. Don't take those GUI wussies too seriously. :' />

...can spit out CLI code like nobodys business. hysterical.gif I would like to be able to get to that point someday.
http://members.toast.net/art.ross/rute/index.htmlhttp://www.oreillynet.com/linux/cmd/Have FUN! :whistling:

I do apologize if my wording came off condesending. :)
Oh, ABSOLUTELY no apologies necessary... part of the forum tradition, rooting for BOTH CLI AND GUI. And... well, I play in TEAM GUI, so... :thumbsup: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Guest LilBambi

Oh, yeah, I am definitely of the work smarter genre of users...if it works better in CLI, I am there, if it can be done just as easy in GUI for the task at hand, I will go the GUI route. :thumbup:But as you say, in many cases, sometimes good to know both...just in case. But in the case of 'general' iso burning, or photo or burning files, k3b beats everything I have tried previously and you don't generally burn coasters unless you get a bad batch of CDs/DVDs. :thumbsup:

securitybreach
Oh, yeah, I am definitely of the work smarter genre of users...if it works better in CLI, I am there, if it can be done just as easy in GUI for the task at hand, I will go the GUI route. :hysterical:
HA, I am the exact opposite, if I am able to do it the console, that is my first choice. Although, sometimes it is just easier to do via the GUI. Thats the beauty of Linux, we actually have a choice. B)BTW to burn a dvd iso, open up a terminal and:
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

You may need to change /dev/dvd to /dev/sr0 or whatever your device is and change image-iso to whatever the iso you downloaded is called. Also, +1 for xfburn!!! It is an excellent lightweight, full-featured cd/dvd burner. I use it all the time :thumbsup:

securitybreach
Oh, yeah, I am definitely of the work smarter genre of users...if it works better in CLI, I am there, if it can be done just as easy in GUI for the task at hand, I will go the GUI route. :thumbsup:
HA, I am the exact opposite, if I am able to do it the console, that is my first choice. Although, sometimes it is just easier to do via the GUI. For instance, when converting an avi to dvd format, it is much easier to run devede and click a few times versus the CLI alternative:
$ ffmpeg -i out.avi -y -target ntsc-dvd -sameq -aspect 16:9 out.mpg && dvdauthor --title -o dvd -f out.mpg  && dvdauthor -o dvd -T && mkisofs -dvd-video -o dvd.iso dvd/ && growisofs -dvd-compat -dvd-video -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

Note: the && symbols basically just separate and link commands together. For instance:

cd /tmp && mkdir test

will change to the /tmp directory and if successful then it will make a directory called test inside /tmp. Make sense? :hysterical: Thats the beauty of Linux, we actually have a choice. B)BTW to burn a dvd iso, open up a terminal and:

growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

You may need to change /dev/dvd to /dev/sr0 or whatever your device is. Also, +1 for xfburn!!! It is an excellent lightweight, full-featured cd/dvd burner.

CLI is not so good for folks who can't type fast. Hunt 'n peckers on the command line is SLOOOOWWWW!
If you use aliases then hunt and peck ain't too SLOOWW :thumbsup:"Use aliasesOne of the powerful features of Bash is that it makes use of aliases. Those are usually short commands which perform some associated, longer command or commands. For example, to update and upgrade your Ubuntu installation you would type sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade, and to create an alias for it you would only have to add something like the following inside the ~/.bashrc file:alias update='sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade'Now, each time you type update, the command inside the single quotes will be executed.http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2009/06/6-bas...ivity-tips.html Edited by abarbarian

Hunt and peck, thats me.I'm pretty quick at it though.Still though making a long post takes a lot out of me sometimes.The Clonezilla guide I posted here in this forum took me a couple of three hours.If I find that I need to use the CLI it's often from instructions on the Web.I simply copy and paste the commands.

Thanks everyone for some great training. :)One question abarbarian - Once you create the alias IE

alias update=

does that automatically save the alias file in the ~/.bashrc file:? So in essence, you can create an unlimited amount of aliases? For example. The example that Josh provided to convert AVI to DVD

$ ffmpeg -i out.avi -y -target ntsc-dvd -sameq -aspect 16:9 out.mpg && dvdauthor --title -o dvd -f out.mpg  && dvdauthor -o dvd -T && mkisofs -dvd-video -o dvd.iso dvd/ && growisofs -dvd-compat -dvd-video -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

I could create an alias such as:

alias avi_convert= $ ffmpeg -i out.avi -y -target ntsc-dvd -sameq -aspect 16:9 out.mpg && dvdauthor --title -o dvd -f out.mpg  && dvdauthor -o dvd -T && mkisofs -dvd-video -o dvd.iso dvd/ && growisofs -dvd-compat -dvd-video -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

So anytime I type avi_convert into the CLI it would covert AVI to DVD with out having to type all of the above code? :thumbsup:

Note: the && symbols basically just separate and link commands together. For instance:
cd /tmp && mkdir test

will change to the /tmp directory and if successful then it will make a directory called test inside /tmp. Make sense?

Actually Josh that makes perfect sense. It’s actually quite similar to DOS command line for changing directories and creating directories within directories.How the heck to I make my code boxes smaller???EDIT: Fixed those code boxes for you. See Josh's post just below about the proper UBBcode to use for code insertion in posts. ~Eric