CUPS Printer not working in Linux or Windows

ichase

Greetings all, for some reason and I don't know if it is a print spooler issue or what but for some reason no jobs will print in either Arch linux or windows.

I see the printer in both Arch and Windows but nothing prints.

I went into my CUPS configuration page https://localhost:631 and went to the printer error log and I am getting this when I try to print:

E [11/Jan/2013:22:49:31 +0000] Returning IPP client-error-not-authorized for Print-Job (ipp://localhost/printers/Officejet_7300) from localhost 

In Arch when I bring up system-config-printer and go to troubleshoot, it tells me:

CUPS Service Stopped

The CUPS print spooler does not appear to be running.

I restarted cups.service with systemd

# systemctl restart cups.service 

and that did not return with error but still un able to print. Not sure what changed, I have not messed with any of the config files.

I did have an issue with the printer disapearing about a month ago and that was due to an hplip upgrade issue. I reverted back to the earlier driver and set hplip to ignore in pacman.conf. After that, had no issues printing. I went to print today and nothing happened. I have been doing updates so not sure if some update borked something up.

I appreciate the assistance as always.

Ian

Edit: I am also getting these additional errors showing in the error log

AddProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod:No such interface `org.freedesktop.ColorManager' on object at path /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_Officejet_7300
W [11/Jan/2013:22:43:04 +0000] AddProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod:No such interface `org.freedesktop.ColorManager' on object at path /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_Officejet_7300
E [11/Jan/2013:22:43:04 +0000] Unable to bind socket for address 192.168.0.10:631 - Address already in use.
E [11/Jan/2013:22:49:31 +0000] Returning IPP client-error-not-authorized for Print-Job (ipp://localhost/printers/Officejet_7300) from localhost
W [11/Jan/2013:23:03:15 +0000] AddProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod:No such interface `org.freedesktop.ColorManager' on object at path /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_Officejet_7300
W [11/Jan/2013:23:03:15 +0000] AddProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod:No such interface `org.freedesktop.ColorManager' on object at path /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_Officejet_7300
E [11/Jan/2013:23:03:15 +0000] Unable to bind socket for address 192.168.0.10:631 - Address already in use.
E [11/Jan/2013:23:06:38 +0000] [Client 18] pam_authenticate() returned 7 (Authentication failure)
E [11/Jan/2013:23:06:40 +0000] [Client 18] pam_authenticate() returned 7 (Authentication failure)
W [11/Jan/2013:23:07:37 +0000] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:profile id 'Officejet_7300-Gray..' already exists
W [11/Jan/2013:23:07:37 +0000] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:profile id 'Officejet_7300-RGB..' already exists
W [11/Jan/2013:23:07:37 +0000] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id 'cups-Officejet_7300' already exists
W [11/Jan/2013:23:09:42 +0000] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:profile id 'Officejet_7300-Gray..' already exists
W [11/Jan/2013:23:09:42 +0000] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:profile id 'Officejet_7300-RGB..' already exists
W [11/Jan/2013:23:09:42 +0000] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id 'cups-Officejet_7300' already exists

You know me, I would rather give to much info than not enough :hysterical:

Edited by ichase

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... won't print in Arch or MS Windows? That is telling me that this is a printer and/or connection issue, I think. :(

securitybreach

Just so you know, on most forums, you can click on either the date of the post (as at that Arch forum) or the forum # to get the link directly to that post you're wanting to reference. :yes:

https://bbs.archlinu...=854280#p854280

Yeah, the Arch forums used to have the link on the post # but it looks like they changed it to the date on the left side. I did not notice the change last night so I posted the post #.

Guest LilBambi

Although the printer name being too long or having spaces etc. has been a bugaboo for a long time on shared printers, I don't think that is Ian's problem because he was printing fine last week.

This could be due to perms since he created a new user and deleted the old one due to perms issue before he knew he could change all the files ownership within his old account I think.

Could also be another thing that no one has mentioned ... maybe the printer has stopped working or the USB cable went bad, or the USB port even.

Should try to change cable, change computers too maybe and see if the printer does still work?

Printers, cables and ports can go bad too. Not often but it does happen.

If it works with different cable, port, or computer, great ... then can move on from there maybe. Good to know it's not a physical problem before going too far is all I am saying.

Good point Fran

I have deleted the printer and re-installed. Still not working. Still able to see the printer on both linux and windows 7 but when I select print there is nothing showing in the print que.

I just tried printing a document from Windows and then went to the error log in the cups web interface. Got the following:

W [12/Jan/2013:15:33:43 +0000] [CGI] Missing NickName and ModelName in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/Epson/eplp850c.ppd.gz!
W [12/Jan/2013:15:33:43 +0000] [CGI] Missing NickName and ModelName in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/Epson/eplp830c.ppd.gz!
W [12/Jan/2013:15:33:43 +0000] [CGI] Missing NickName and ModelName in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/Epson/eplp980c.ppd.gz!
W [12/Jan/2013:15:33:43 +0000] [CGI] Missing NickName and ModelName in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/Epson/eplp960s.ppd.gz!
W [12/Jan/2013:15:33:43 +0000] [CGI] Missing NickName and ModelName in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/Epson/eplp9100.ppd.gz!
W [12/Jan/2013:15:33:43 +0000] [CGI] Missing NickName and ModelName in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/Epson/eplp920c.ppd.gz!
W [12/Jan/2013:15:33:43 +0000] [CGI] Missing NickName and ModelName in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/Epson/eplp950c.ppd.gz!
W [12/Jan/2013:15:33:43 +0000] [CGI] Missing NickName and ModelName in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/Epson/eplp880c.ppd.gz!
W [12/Jan/2013:15:33:43 +0000] [CGI] Missing NickName and ModelName in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/KONICA_MINOLTA/KOC451JX.ppd.gz!
W [12/Jan/2013:15:33:43 +0000] [CGI] Missing NickName and ModelName in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/Brother/BR5070DN_GPL.ppd.gz!
E [12/Jan/2013:15:33:43 +0000] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file "/usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/Kyocera/ReadMe.htm"!
E [12/Jan/2013:15:33:44 +0000] [cups-driverd] Bad driver information file "/usr/share/cups/drv/cupsfilters.drv"!
W [12/Jan/2013:15:35:14 +0000] AddProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod:No such interface `org.freedesktop.ColorManager' on object at path /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_HP_Officejet_7300_series_USB_MY55TM81BB0407_HPLIP
W [12/Jan/2013:15:35:14 +0000] AddProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod:No such interface `org.freedesktop.ColorManager' on object at path /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_HP_Officejet_7300_series_USB_MY55TM81BB0407_HPLIP
W [12/Jan/2013:15:35:17 +0000] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:profile id 'HP_Officejet_7300_series_USB_MY55TM81BB0407_HPLIP-Gray..' already exists
W [12/Jan/2013:15:35:17 +0000] CreateProfile failed: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:profile id 'HP_Officejet_7300_series_USB_MY55TM81BB0407_HPLIP-RGB..' already exists
W [12/Jan/2013:15:35:17 +0000] CreateDevice failed: org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id 'cups-HP_Officejet_7300_series_USB_MY55TM81BB0407_HPLIP' already exists

Really don't know what all this means, can try a different cable, would not hurt to rule it out. Just really strange why it won't print. I am not getting permission errors any more so by re-installing the printer with ichase user out of the equation, I still am able to see the printer in both windows and linux. This is so fustrating. I should be able to figure this out.

When I select troubleshooting from system-config-printer it is still saying the cups print spooler is not running. There is nothing in the CUPS web interface to restart the spooler.

I disabled and re-enabled cups.service via systemdctl after I made the changes.

I also selected the /usr/share/cups/model/pxlcolor.pdd this time when adding the printer but no joy

Just to add more info, when I run: systemdctl status cups.service I get the following:

[root@homeserver cups]# systemctl status cups.service
cups.service - CUPS Printing Service
	  Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled)
	  Active: active (running) since Sat, 2013-01-12 14:07:46 UTC; 1h 47min ago
	Main PID: 5816 (cupsd)
	  CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cups.service
			  `-5816 /usr/sbin/cupsd -f

Jan 12 14:07:46 homeserver systemd-coredump[5814]: Process 5705 (cupsd) dumped core.
Jan 12 14:07:46 homeserver systemd[1]: cups.service: main process exited, code=dumped, status=11/SEGV
Jan 12 14:07:46 homeserver systemd[1]: Unit cups.service entered failed state
Jan 12 14:07:46 homeserver systemd[1]: Starting CUPS Printing Service...
Jan 12 14:07:46 homeserver systemd[1]: Started CUPS Printing Service.
Jan 12 14:07:49 homeserver cupsd[5816]: Unknown directive BrowseOrder on line 25.
Jan 12 14:07:49 homeserver cupsd[5816]: Unknown directive BrowseAllow on line 26.
Jan 12 14:07:49 homeserver cupsd[5816]: Unknown directive DefaultAuthType on line 29.

Edited by ichase

securitybreach

It looks like you are using the wrong driver:

Missing NickName and ModelName in /usr/share/cups/model/foomatic-db-ppds/Epson/eplp880c.ppd.gz!
AddProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such interface `org.freedesktop.ColorManager' on object at path /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_HP_Officejet_7300_series_USB_MY55TM81BB0407_HPLIP

Also, do you have a Epson or HP Officejet printer as it is trying to load both of them? I assume you are using windows to connect to the cups server. If so, the wrong driver could be the cause of no printing in windows and linux.

It's an HP office Jet 7300, not sure why it is trying to load the epson printer. I am running hplip as the hp driver recommended by the cups arch wiki.

system-config-printer still says it appears that the spooler is not running?

I keep seeing dbus not running but when I run systemctl status dbus it states it's running:

[ichase01@homeserver ~]$ systemctl status dbus
dbus.service - D-Bus System Message Bus
	 Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/dbus.service; static)
	 Active: active (running) since Sat, 2013-01-12 16:12:19 UTC; 12min ago
 Main PID: 254 (dbus-daemon)
	 CGroup: name=systemd:/system/dbus.service
			 `-254 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --system --address=systemd: --nofork --nopidfile --systemd-activation

Reason it states 12 minutes ago, is because I rebooted the server

Now that I have rebooted and tried printing again I get this from the error log from the CUPS web interface

E [12/Jan/2013:16:12:30 +0000] [Job 3] Unable to queue job for destination "ipp://homeserver:631/printers/Officejet_7300".
E [12/Jan/2013:16:12:30 +0000] [Job 4] Unable to queue job for destination "ipp://homeserver:631/printers/Officejet_7300".
W [12/Jan/2013:16:12:38 +0000] AddProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod:No such interface `org.freedesktop.ColorManager' on object at path /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_HP_Officejet_7300_series_USB_MY55TM81BB0407_HPLIP
W [12/Jan/2013:16:12:38 +0000] AddProfile failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod:No such interface `org.freedesktop.ColorManager' on object at path /org/freedesktop/ColorManager/devices/cups_HP_Officejet_7300_series_USB_MY55TM81BB0407_HPLIP
E [12/Jan/2013:16:12:38 +0000] Unable to bind socket for address 0.0.0.0:631 - Address already in use.
E [12/Jan/2013:16:12:38 +0000] Unable to bind socket for address [v1.::]:631 - Address already in use.

Edited by ichase

securitybreach

The problem is not the cups service running or not, it is a configuration issue:

Jan 12 14:07:49 homeserver cupsd[5816]: Unknown directive BrowseOrder on line 25.

Jan 12 14:07:49 homeserver cupsd[5816]: Unknown directive BrowseAllow on line 26.

Jan 12 14:07:49 homeserver cupsd[5816]: Unknown directive DefaultAuthType on line 29

Including the errors I quoted above as well.

Especially the DefaultAuth (Authentication) error.

Well for all it's worth here is my cupsd.conf:

#
# "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 9407 2010-12-09 21:24:51Z mike $"
#
# Sample configuration file for the CUPS scheduler. See "man cupsd.conf" for a
# complete description of this file.
#

# Log general information in error_log - change "warn" to "debug"
# for troubleshooting...
LogLevel warn

# Administrator user group...
SystemGroup sys root

# Only listen for connections from the local machine.
Listen localhost
Listen 192.168.0.10:631
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock

# Show shared printers on the local network.
Browsing On
BrowseLocalProtocols dnssd
BrowseOrder allow, deny
BrowseAllow #LOCAL

# Default authentication type, when authentication is required...
DefaultAuthType Never
DefaultEncryption Never

# Web interface setting...
WebInterface Yes

# Restrict access to the server...
<Location />
Order allow,deny
Allow localhost
Allow From all
</Location>

# Restrict access to the admin pages...
<Location /admin>
Order allow,deny
Allow From localhost
Allow From all
</Location>

# Restrict access to configuration files...
<Location /admin/conf>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
Order allow,deny
Allow From localhost
Allow From all
</Location>

# Set the default printer/job policies...
<Policy default>
# Job/subscription privacy...
JobPrivateAccess default
JobPrivateValues default
SubscriptionPrivateAccess default
SubscriptionPrivateValues default

# Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an administrator...
<Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI Validate-Job>
Order deny,allow
</Limit>

<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job Cancel-My-Jobs Close-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>

# All administration operations require an administrator to authenticate...
<Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>

# All printer operations require a printer operator to authenticate...
<Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After Cancel-Jobs CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>

# Only the owner or an administrator can cancel or authenticate a job...
<Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
Order deny,allow
</Limit>

<Limit All>
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
</Policy>

# Set the authenticated printer/job policies...
<Policy authenticated>
# Job/subscription privacy...
JobPrivateAccess default
JobPrivateValues default
SubscriptionPrivateAccess default
SubscriptionPrivateValues default

# Job-related operations must be done by the owner or an administrator...
<Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI Validate-Job>
AuthType Default
Order deny,allow
</Limit>

<Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job Cancel-My-Jobs Close-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
AuthType Default
Order deny,allow
</Limit>

# All administration operations require an administrator to authenticate...
<Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>

# All printer operations require a printer operator to authenticate...
<Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After Cancel-Jobs CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
AuthType Default
Require user @SYSTEM
Order deny,allow
</Limit>

<Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
AuthType Default
Order deny,allow
</Limit>

<Limit All>
Order deny,allow
</Limit>
</Policy>

#
# End of "$Id: cupsd.conf.in 9407 2010-12-09 21:24:51Z mike $".
#

Well I made changes to those lines in the cups interface and don't get that error anymore

#
[ichase01@homeserver ~]$ systemctl status cups.service
cups.service - CUPS Printing Service
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/cups.service; enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Sat, 2013-01-12 16:12:19 UTC; 22min ago
   Main PID: 250 (cupsd)
     CGroup: name=systemd:/system/cups.service
         `-250 /usr/sbin/cupsd -f

Edited by ichase

Guest LilBambi

Can you backup the cups config and delete it AFTER stopping the cups daemon and see if it will recreate it when you restart CUPS?

Or backup the config. stop the CUPS daemon. Use packman package manager to remove cups. Reboot, check for any lock files, and then use the package manager to reinstall CUPS and create your printer again.

Remove the driver from the Windows computer entirely until you get it working on Linux.

Just a thought and suggestion...

Great suggestion Fran, was also thinking an easy way to go would be to re-image the server with the image from last week. At least then I would know if deleting the ichase account was the culprit. But I think I am going to try your suggestion first. :)

I re-imaged the partition and now printing works. Now to work on the permissions issue with ichase. I LOVE Clonezilla :) And I miss and thank Frank Golden for teaching me how to use it :)

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I have to reiterate here...

If you cannot use the printer in Windows or Linux, then there's no reason to be fussing about with CUPS. Windows doesn't use CUPS. There is obviously a hardware issue here. It's the printer itself, the cable, the computer's interface, etc. It can't be a problem in Arch causing a problem in Windows also. Anyway, that's how I see it. I would try Fran's suggestions above about trying new cables, different usb inputs, even a completely different computer.

Luck with it, Ian.

I re-imaged the Arch partition on my server with the clone I made after I upgraded to systemd. Everything works like a champ now. :) I believe I borked it up when I had the permissions issue with the ichase account and I deleted the account.

The image put ichase back (with the same permission issues) and I fixed that using sunrat's suggestion of:

# chown -R ichase:ichase /home/ichase 

Edited by ichase
  • Like 1

Guest LilBambi

I re-imaged the Arch partition on my server with the clone I made after I upgraded to systemd. Everything works like a champ now. :) I believe I borked it up when I had the permissions issue with the ichase account and I deleted the account.

The image put ichase back (with the same permission issues) and I fixed that using sunrat's suggestion of:

# chown -R ichase:ichase /home/ichase 

Excellent!

Printing all working now? Both in Linux and in Windows?

Guest LilBambi

Figures !!! LOL!

Two out of three ain't bad? ;)

1. Printer works YES

2. Prints in Windows YES

3. Prints in Linux NO

:hysterical:

OK, now that is really weird. It's actually successfully SAMBA shared AND printing in Windows; and from the very Linux computer that it won't print from...

Very interesting.

Edited by LilBambi

Figures !!! LOL!

Two out of three ain't bad? ;)

1. Printer works YES

2. Prints in Windows YES

3. Prints in Linux NO

:hysterical:

OK, now that is really weird. It's actually successfully SAMBA shared AND printing in Windows; and from the very Linux computer that it won't print from...

Very interesting.

Exactly, it all boils down to my cups configuration. CUPS has absolutely nothing to do with why it's printing fine in Windows. It prints in Windows because the printer is properly shared in SAMBA. CUPS does not effect Windows. I just need to figure out what is wrong with my CUPS configuration so that I can print in Linux. Research, Research, Research :)

securitybreach

Also, look at:

Order deny,allow

Examples

Require group foo bar

Require user john mary

Require valid-user

Description

The Require directive specifies that authentication is required for the resource. The group keyword specifies that the authenticated user must be a member of one or more of the named groups that follow.

The user keyboard specifies that the authenticated user must be one of the named users that follow.

The valid-user keyword specifies that any authenticated user may access the resource.

The default is to do no authentication. This directive must appear inside a Location directive.

http://www.cups.org/...am.html#Require