Article on the new 2.6 kernel

Specmon

Hi SpecmonHere is the answer:

the new kernel release promises to give us faster, more scalable, and more reliable performance across more platforms and architectures than 2.4.
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Bruno

Amazing read. I have been out of the system programmer field for a while, but, these are major enhancements.First cut guess at impact:-50-200% improvement in effective capacity for large SMP systems.-Order of magnitude improvement in scalability, both processor and data-Substantially improved reliability for heavily loaded systems-Potential loss of support for legacy devices-More maintainable and better drivers for current devices-1 - 2% increase in real memory required

the new kernel release promises to give us faster, more scalable, and more reliable performance across more platforms and architectures than 2.4.
That sounds good to me! :w00t:

From what I've seen in Turbolinux(with Rc 2.6) it will be great..seems much quicker...(example..gimp up in < 6 sec..and Open office < 5 sec...Pretty cool..I know it work w/ a older 850 AMD ...And will try it on an older system and see how Old a system it will support.

From what I've seen in Turbolinux(with Rc 2.6) it will be great..seems much quicker...(example..gimp up in < 6 sec..and Open office < 5 sec...Pretty cool..I know it work w/ a older 850 AMD ...And will try it on an older system and see how Old a system it will support.
Which version of Turbolinux are you referring to? Is 9.0 about to release, or is it already out?

Take a look at an earlier discussion. It has the links. The beta came out about a month ago or so and many of us gave it a try. I have not seen anything since then but that worked fine. Some are still using it.

Take a look at an earlier discussion.  It has the links.  The beta came out about a month ago or so and many of us gave it a try.  I have not seen anything since then but that worked fine.  Some are still using it.
What a story. Glad I was not around while the download frenzy was on.FYI: World Lingo provides an online Japanese to English translation service. Sure there are others.Got curious. Found the following links:Linux Benchmarking; 2.4 vs 2.6How to Upgrade to 2.6 KernelUpgrading RH9 to 2.6-test4Got ****** curious. Going to give the last one a try as soon as I can free up a disk drive.