Windows 7 System Repair Disk not working

Guest LilBambi

Guest LilBambi

I have been looking into some issues I have run into recently with a Dell Windows 7 computer with Dell Local DataSafe that will not create a working System Repair Disk.Certainly we can download the .ISO image for the appropriate System Repair Disk and burn it on another computer, so that's not the problem.My concern is how widespread is this problem with Dells that are using the Dell Local DataSafe program on the system where Windows created System Repair Disks are not working right? When I do a search on Google about it, I am getting quite a bit of query on it, and mostly with these Dells with DataSafe on them.Any thoughts?

NICK ADSL UK

Hi Lill My views on all OEM software are that they should only be used as a last result as the vast majority at best are buggy and at worst like in say a asus laptop some don't even work at all If the dell's data safe is like the asus then i would avoid using it

Hi Lill My views on all OEM software are that they should only be used as a last result as the vast majority at best are buggy and at worst like in say a asus laptop some don't even work at all If the dell's data safe is like the asus then i would avoid using it
I don't like doing it...but I recommend to people that the first thingthey do with a new computer is make the backup discs.And then use them.If something goes wrong you are still under warranty.Some people I know only created the backup discs(getting the created successfully message).And way later when they needed to use them they did not work.

I have been looking into some issues I have run into recently with a Dell Windows 7 computer with Dell Local DataSafe that will not create a working System Repair Disk.Certainly we can download the .ISO image for the appropriate System Repair Disk and burn it on another computer, so that's not the problem.My concern is how widespread is this problem with Dells that are using the Dell Local DataSafe program on the system where Windows created System Repair Disks are not working right? When I do a search on Google about it, I am getting quite a bit of query on it, and mostly with these Dells with DataSafe on them.Any thoughts?
Were any of these systems upgraded from Vista to Win7? I found this thread where some users were able to successfully create working restore disc by setting the application compatibility mode to Windows Vista.Edit: After re-reading your post, I think I may have misunderstood your post. Are you saying that the Windows repair disc is failing on systems where Local DataSafe has been pre-installed? I would look to see if there is (or are) any active processes running in the background related to the Local Data Safe program - and kill it via the task manager before you start the creation of the repair disc. Edited by Tushman

Guest LilBambi
Thanks Nick. Looks like the only option is to create the disks and then uninstall that crappy software. :thumbsup: And see if it still has trouble creating working System Repair Disks.
I don't like doing it...but I recommend to people that the first thingthey do with a new computer is make the backup discs.And then use them.If something goes wrong you are still under warranty.Some people I know only created the backup discs(getting the created successfully message).And way later when they needed to use them they did not work.
I hear ya! Sheesh ... they really need to get their act together.
Were any of these systems upgraded from Vista to Win7? I found this thread where some users were able to successfully create working restore disc by setting the application compatibility mode to Windows Vista.Edit: After re-reading your post, I think I may have misunderstood your post. Are you saying that the Windows repair disc is failing on systems where Local DataSafe has been pre-installed? I would look to see if there is (or are) any active processes running in the background related to the Local Data Safe program - and kill it via the task manager before you start the creation of the repair disc.
No they came with Windows 7 Home Premium and Dell DataSafe crap.

Hello,When I purchase a new computer, I always make a point of purchasing the factory restore DVDs from the manufacturer and using them to load the operating system onto a new, separately-purchased hard disk drive. I have found it is always much less expensive to buy a computer with the smallest HDD available and then buy the HDD I want elsewhere. The original HDD can be kept as a backup or recycled for use in another system.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky

Just the other day, one of the users in the office asked me for a recommendation on a laptop. I absolutely hate HP and wouldn't touch it with a 10-ft pole. I used to recommend Dell & Toshiba laptops. Now it looks like I can't even recommend Dell anymore. Not with the way they've installed this Local Data safe crap that bugs up the Win7 restore discs. If there's a way to manually uninstall it and still have the factory restore functionality working, I would still recommend it but as far as I can tell, that's not a possibility. Looks like Toshiba & Asus from now on.

Guest LilBambi
Hello,When I purchase a new computer, I always make a point of purchasing the factory restore DVDs from the manufacturer and using them to load the operating system onto a new, separately-purchased hard disk drive. I have found it is always much less expensive to buy a computer with the smallest HDD available and then buy the HDD I want elsewhere. The original HDD can be kept as a backup or recycled for use in another system.Regards,Aryeh Goretsky
Excellent idea. I would definitely do that for myself. Or get a Toshiba (if it's a laptop) since they come with restore DVDs, or at least they used to, but even though they have you do your restore DVDs yourself, which I think they do, it did not prevent you from creating a functional bootable System Restore DVD/CD -- that actually works, and you can very easily restore a System Image on a Toshiba laptop. I have done it with no problems at all.Toshiba may be the ticket for future suggestions to clients for laptops anyway.

Guest LilBambi

Thank you all.It has been very discouraging and Dell should be ashamed of themselves. At least HP and Toshiba's restore DVDs do not prevent you from creating and making use of System Restore CD/DVD created on the systems.Not all system use that crappy Dell DataSafe crap...maybe have to make sure if they get a Dell that they make sure it's not a system that comes with that crappy Dell DataSafe crap.