Clicking on a program icon opens multiple instances

Eric Legge

Hi all,Recently, having switched from using a wired mouse to a wireless mouse with a laptop running Windows XP Pro, when I click on a progam's Quick Launch or standard icon, such as the Quick Launch icon to Firefox, several instances of the program are launched, and I struggle to drag a file from, say, the Desktop to My Documents, because when I click on the file it opens instead of being selected so that I can drag it to a folder. I have to try many time to be able to select and drag-and-drop a file on the Desktop. Under Folder Options in the Control Panel, the setting is to double click to open and single click to select.I have set the mouse click settings as low as possible and uninstalled the mouse driver, allowing Windows to reinstall it, without success.Windows 98, if I remember correctly, has a setting that guards against opening more than one instance of a program in this way, but WinXp no longer provides it.Strangely, I have found this question asked a couple of times on the web by no one has answered it.

Hi all,Recently, having switched from using a wired mouse to a wireless mouse with a laptop running Windows XP Pro, when I click on a progam's Quick Launch or standard icon, such as the Quick Launch icon to Firefox, several instances of the program are launched, and I struggle to drag a file from, say, the Desktop to My Documents, because when I click on the file it opens instead of being selected so that I can drag it to a folder. I have to try many time to be able to select and drag-and-drop a file on the Desktop. Under Folder Options in the Control Panel, the setting is to double click to open and single click to select.I have set the mouse click settings as low as possible and uninstalled the mouse driver, allowing Windows to reinstall it, without success.Windows 98, if I remember correctly, has a setting that guards against opening more than one instance of a program in this way, but WinXp no longer provides it.Strangely, I have found this question asked a couple of times on the web by no one has answered it.
Send the mouse back. It's bad.

Eric,Hook up the mouse to another PC or laptop and see if the problem persists. If it does, then you can safely assume it's something to do with the mouse itself. If not, there may be a software conflict/configuration issue on your laptop.The other thought that comes to mind is that maybe the touch pad driver is causing havoc w/ your new mouse. If you have a touchpad on your laptop, temporarily disable it, reboot the system, and see if the problem goes away.

Thanks for the replies.The wireless mouse does the same on a desktop PC.I have never had a bad mouse before and I have been computing since mice first became available, even mice that have been in use for a decade or more have never had a problem, so I assumed it was the driver or something else.

Thanks for the replies.The wireless mouse does the same on a desktop PC.I have never had a bad mouse before and I have been computing since mice first became available, even mice that have been in use for a decade or more have never had a problem, so I assumed it was the driver or something else.
Gotta be the mouse.What brand\model?