Ubuntu Studio 9.10 for Brother

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I d-loaded the Ubuntu Studio 9.10 installation DVD for my brother today. I'm going to burn it and install it for him over Ubuntu 8.04 some time next week. Anything I need to know specifically, Urmas? Frank? Other Ubuntu fans? I haven't run Ubuntu on my system in quite some time (nearly three years). I may need some assistance. I'll scream if I do. :lol:

ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala may or may not default to the grub2. i think there's an option for the legacy but i forget. i just had to reinstall from cd on my buddys' machine because the upgrade borked grub and i couldn't figure out how to change uuid to /dev/sda5 in the menu.lst.two cautions:1...grub2 is beta2...an upgrade will not work with a uuid in grub legacy.

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, I'm not upgrading. It'll be a clean install. I'm not worried about UUID or GRUB2 on my brother's machine. It only has Ubuntu and a crippled MS Windows (no network access). If I can do legacy GRUB, I will though. :lol:

securitybreach
ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala may or may not default to the grub2. i think there's an option for the legacy but i forget. i just had to reinstall from cd on my buddys' machine because the upgrade borked grub and i couldn't figure out how to change uuid to /dev/sda5 in the menu.lst.two cautions:1...grub2 is beta2...an upgrade will not work with a uuid in grub legacy.
Grub2 is new in Ubuntu but I would not really consider it beta, After all, it has been in development for over 4 years and the stable version was released on 10-25-09: http://grub.enbug.org/ Do not get me wrong though, I will admit it is quite a bit of a difference in Grub1 versus Grub2 but they did choose to provide Grub2 by default so it must be pretty stable. Then again Arch is bleeding edge and they do not use Grub2 by default, so take it however you want. I did install grub2-gfxmenu on my main machine and after reading up on the documentation, I think it provides some nice features plut I have a cool looking grub splash now. It was pretty nice of Ubuntu to provide the legacy grub for those users who havbe problems with Grub2 though. Just my opinion.Thanks Edited by securitybreach

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, I set my brother up with the new Ubuntu Studio. It works like a champ. Install was easier than falling off a log. Of course, I've installed a few distros in the past. :) He likes it. COOL! :)

Shoot :) EricEVERY TIME I am having problems here with any computer UP POPS :) a possible NEW solutionThe IBM (Mater CD) would not install windows on a 20GB partition so played around even had MDV 2010 on there + . But just this last two hours have deleted all partitions and am trying the Master cd again so I can resize and put IBM XP back on like I did the first time around and also LinuxSo :"> am downloding Ubuntu Studio right now - SHOOT :hysterical: can't have all three Deskies the same Linux Flavour can we ( Quad is Mint 8 - 4600+ is Ultimate 2.4 Lappy is MDV 2010 Gnome)Cheers for yearsColin :thumbsup:

Edited by kamicota

securitybreach
Well, I set my brother up with the new Ubuntu Studio. It works like a champ. Install was easier than falling off a log. Of course, I've installed a few distros in the past. ;) He likes it. COOL! :)
Awesome, is he a new penguin? Either way I am glad he likes it.THanks

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah... I basically forced him to convert to Linux about a year and a half ago because I got tired of wiping and reinstalling his Windows every month or so. I dual-booted his system with a fresh crippled (no network capabilities) Win XP and Ubuntu 8.04. Today I installed Ubuntu Studio (a fancy 9.10) for him. His use of Linux for the Internet has sure cut down on my visits to fix his system. ;)

securitybreach
Nah... I basically forced him to convert to Linux about a year and a half ago because I got tired of wiping and reinstalling his Windows every month or so. I dual-booted his system with a fresh crippled (no network capabilities) Win XP and Ubuntu 8.04. Today I installed Ubuntu Studio (a fancy 9.10) for him. His use of Linux for the Internet has sure cut down on my visits to fix his system. ;)
Well thats one way to cut down on tech support. I do the same thing to my gaming partition(windows) since you cannot get malware/spyware/viruses from a non-networked system. Anything to convert more users from the Darkside.Thanks