6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 06:55 AM

http://www.maximumpc...linux_rigs_2020

China reportedly plans to undergo a "de-Windowsifying" process in which its systems will be move to a state-endorsed version of Linux by 2020.
"We call this a de-Windowsifying movement," Computer Science Professor Ni Guangnan of the Chinese Academy of Engineering told Ecns.cn.

Now you might think this is just a pie in the sky idea by some crusty old academic dreamer. However

It's also worth noting that China recently banned the use of Windows 8 on all government PCs due to spying concerns.

An no one is more paranoid than the Chinese which may be enough to make them fund and encourage the rise of the Penguin. Now if Linus had chosen a dragon as the mascot instead of the penguin all of China would have been using linux for years as they do like their dragons. :hug: an so do I :hug:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   Hedon James

Hedon James

Topic Cop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 09:35 AM

Ubuntu Kylin is an official flavor of Ubuntu/Canonical, respun by Chinese developers and being pre-installed on Chinese laptops.  I believe Deepin is also an "endorsed" distro by the Chinese government, although not sure.  And I too would also prefer a Dragon mascot over a Penguin.  While I understand Linus' logic in his selection of a "friendly" and "harmless" mascot, I'm not sure it has accelerated the uptake of Linux.  Perhaps it is time for a bad-ass mascot?!  :devil:

#3 OFFLINE   securitybreach

securitybreach

CLI Phreak

• Forum Admins
  • 23,889 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:40 AM

And also Red Flag Linux which was created by the Chinese government and was based upon RedHat. It initially came out in 1999 but was closed down in Jan 2014 because of mismanagement and funding. https://en.wikipedia.../Red_Flag_Linux
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image
CNI Radio/G+ Profile/Configs/PGP Key/comhack π

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress toward more pain." -George Orwell, 1984

#4 OFFLINE   abarbarian

abarbarian

Thread Kahuna

• Forum MVP
  • 5,626 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:27 PM

Good point boys. This looks like it may resurect the dragon though as they are spooked about security. If they ever do get a linux os going as their main offering then MS will be dead all over Asia.

:pirate:
Install ARCH
You'll never need to install it again
"I did and I'm really happy"

Posted Image~~~~~~~~~~~~~Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 10:58 PM

View Postabarbarian, on 07 November 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

If they ever do get a linux os going as their main offering then MS will be dead all over Asia.
No. In Saigon uni students offer to install Windows for you for $2.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

#6 OFFLINE   V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Nocturnal Slacker

• Forum Admins
  • 21,503 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 06:42 PM

Saigon hasn't existed by that name since 1975, Roger. It's "Uncle Ho City" nowadays, man.

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   sunrat

sunrat

Thread Kahuna

• Forum Moderators
  • 5,676 posts

Posted 08 November 2014 - 08:24 PM

View PostV.T. Eric Layton, on 08 November 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

Saigon hasn't existed by that name since 1975, Roger. It's "Uncle Ho City" nowadays, man.
Only officially. If you go there, anyone who was alive in 75 still calls it Saigon and doesn't like the name HCMC. Even younger people use it and no-one ever corrects you if you call it Saigon. The international airport code is still SGN.
registered Linux user number 324659  ||    The importance of Reading The *Fine* Manual! :D
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: china, linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users