Jump to content


w2k Pro TCP/IP


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

    Discussion Deity

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:20 PM

I'm trying to reset TCP/IP on a computer running W2K Pro using the following from the command line:netsh int ip reset resetlog.txtIt comes back and says the command wasn't found so I went through the elements one by one.  Everything works fine for "netsh int ip" but when I type "reset."  Then I get a message saying "Commands in this context: reset all   - Resets configuration.But when I type "reset all" I again get the error saying the command wasn't found.

#2 OFFLINE   maggie

maggie

    Message Adept

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:32 PM

Try it this way.netsh int ip reset c:\logfile.txt rebuilds the stack.A link http://www.thatdamnp...ur-tcpip-stack/

#3 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

    Discussion Deity

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:47 PM

View Postmaggie, on Jul 26 2006, 02:32 PM, said:

Try it this way.netsh int ip reset c:\logfile.txt rebuilds the stack.A link http://www.thatdamnp...ur-tcpip-stack/
Thanks Maggie but that is just giving the log file a different name and didn't help.

#4 OFFLINE   maggie

maggie

    Message Adept

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm orI don't have 2000 anymore but look for this:Navigate to: C:\windows\inf Find the File: nettcpip.inf Right click the file and choose installWith regard to the speed of the command, it is instantaneous, that is why it will almost seem like it did nothing at allIf it says install when yoou right click try it.Another linkhttp://support.micro...b;en-us;Q300986

#5 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

    Discussion Deity

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:00 PM

View Postmaggie, on Jul 26 2006, 03:02 PM, said:

http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm orI don't have 2000 anymore but look for this:Navigate to: C:\windows\inf Find the File: nettcpip.inf Right click the file and choose installWith regard to the speed of the command, it is instantaneous, that is why it will almost seem like it did nothing at allIf it says install when yoou right click try it.Another linkhttp://support.micro...b;en-us;Q300986
Tried that but no help.  Finally just uninstalled TCP/IP, which you can still do in W2K, rebooted and reinstalled and it is now working.Thanks

Edited by lewmur, 26 July 2006 - 04:01 PM.


#6 OFFLINE   maggie

maggie

    Message Adept

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:19 PM

Shoot I forgot about that. Glad it got sorted. I've been using XP too long.

#7 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

    Posting Prodigy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:37 PM

I believe you have to enter the netsh shell first.C:\>netshnetsh>helpThe following commands are available:Commands in this context:..             - Goes up one context level.?              - Displays a list of commands.abort          - Discards changes made while in offline mode.add            - Adds a configuration entry to a list of entries.alias          - Adds an alias.bye            - Exits the program.commit         - Commits changes made while in offline mode.delete         - Deletes a configuration entry from a list of entries.dump           - Displays a configuration script.exec           - Runs a script file.exit           - Exits the program.help           - Displays a list of commands.interface      - Changes to the `interface' context.offline        - Sets the current mode to offline.online         - Sets the current mode to online.popd           - Pops a context from the stack.pushd          - Pushes current context on stack.quit           - Exits the program.ras            - Changes to the `ras' context.routing        - Changes to the `routing' context.set            - Updates configuration settings.show           - Displays information.unalias        - Deletes an alias.The following subcontexts are available: routing interface rasTo view help for a command, type the command, followed by a space, and then type ?.netsh>

#8 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

    Posting Prodigy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 11:17 PM

I tried one command at a time.C:\>netshnetsh>int ipinterface ip>resetThe following commands are available:Commands in this context:reset all      - Resets configuration.interface ip>reset allThe following command was not found: reset all.interface ip>?The following commands are available:Global commands:..             - Goes up one context level.abort          - Discards changes made while in offline mode.add            - Adds a configuration entry to a list of entries.alias          - Adds an alias.bye            - Exits the program.commit         - Commits changes made while in offline mode.delete         - Deletes a configuration entry from a list of entries.exit           - Exits the program.interface      - Changes to the `interface' context.offline        - Sets the current mode to offline.online         - Sets the current mode to online.popd           - Pops a context from the stack.pushd          - Pushes current context on stack.quit           - Exits the program.ras            - Changes to the `ras' context.routing        - Changes to the `routing' context.set            - Updates configuration settings.show           - Displays information.unalias        - Deletes an alias.Commands in this context:?              - Displays help.add            - Adds a configuration entry to a table.delete         - Deletes a configuration entry from a table.dump           - Dumps a configuration script.help           - Displays help.set            - Sets configuration information.show           - Displays information.To view help for a command, type the command, followed by a space, and then type ?.Would it not be easier to right click on the network tray icon and select Disable. Then hit Start> Network Connections> find your connection and select Enable? I have used this method to reset the IP connection when it seems to hang.

#9 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

    Discussion Deity

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 12:31 PM

View PostMarsden11, on Jul 27 2006, 12:17 AM, said:

I tried one command at a time.C:\>netshnetsh>int ipinterface ip>resetThe following commands are available:Commands in this context:reset all      - Resets configuration.interface ip>reset allThe following command was not found: reset all.interface ip>?The following commands are available:Global commands:..             - Goes up one context level.abort          - Discards changes made while in offline mode.add            - Adds a configuration entry to a list of entries.alias          - Adds an alias.bye            - Exits the program.commit         - Commits changes made while in offline mode.delete         - Deletes a configuration entry from a list of entries.exit           - Exits the program.interface      - Changes to the `interface' context.offline        - Sets the current mode to offline.online         - Sets the current mode to online.popd           - Pops a context from the stack.pushd          - Pushes current context on stack.quit           - Exits the program.ras            - Changes to the `ras' context.routing        - Changes to the `routing' context.set            - Updates configuration settings.show           - Displays information.unalias        - Deletes an alias.Commands in this context:?              - Displays help.add            - Adds a configuration entry to a table.delete         - Deletes a configuration entry from a table.dump           - Dumps a configuration script.help           - Displays help.set            - Sets configuration information.show           - Displays information.To view help for a command, type the command, followed by a space, and then type ?.Would it not be easier to right click on the network tray icon and select Disable. Then hit Start> Network Connections> find your connection and select Enable? I have used this method to reset the IP connection when it seems to hang.
A lot of verbiage but none of it answered the question.  WHY isn't "reset all" available?And disabling and enabling the connection didn't help.  Un-installing TCP/IP, rebooting and then re-installing it for the connection was the only solution I found.

Edited by lewmur, 27 July 2006 - 12:40 PM.


#10 OFFLINE   Temmu

Temmu

    The Assimilator

  • Forum MVP
  • 12,531 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 01:18 PM

if it's any consolation, i too have had to uninstall / reinstall tcp/ip to fix it in older os's.
Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Marsden11

Marsden11

    Posting Prodigy

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 27 July 2006 - 06:45 PM

Had you bothered to read the verbiage you would have seen the answer to your question."reset all" is not a valid command in the Netsh Interface IP context. One uses the context to configure the TCP/IP protocol (including addresses, default gateways, DNS servers, and WINS servers) and to display configuration and statistical information.

#12 OFFLINE   lewmur

lewmur

    Discussion Deity

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:03 AM

View PostMarsden11, on Jul 27 2006, 07:45 PM, said:

Had you bothered to read the verbiage you would have seen the answer to your question."reset all" is not a valid command in the Netsh Interface IP context. One uses the context to configure the TCP/IP protocol (including addresses, default gateways, DNS servers, and WINS servers) and to display configuration and statistical information.
It most certainly IS a valid command.  Just not in W2K.  If YOU had bothered to read the previous posts  you would have seen that it came from**  I had already posted the fact that it didn't work in W2K.  All I was asking was WHY NOT?  M$ themselves stated the need and made it available in XP.  The code has been written.  It should be easy to add it to W2K.  And why state in the error message when you type "reset" that the proper syntax is "reset all?"




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users