Arch USB problem

abarbarian

abarbarian

My usb stick automounts. I can open it up in a file manager. I can copy files and folders from the usb to the pc.I can not copy from the pc to the usb stick.What little thing am I missing. :">I added "root" to the storage group but that did not help :yes:

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

What window manager are you using? The reason I ask is because I can copy back and forth to a usb drive when using Gnome but I have to become root to do this otherwise. Also, have you checked the permissions on your usb drive?

Some USB memory sticks come with a read-only security application. Perhaps for some reason yours has become read-only?Cheers!

abarbarian

I use E17.I log in as root.My usb stick automounts. I can open it up in a file manager. I can copy files and folders from the usb to the pc.I can not copy from the pc to the usb stick.I used to be able to copy to and from the usb drive.onederer your suggestion does not apply in this case, thanks.How do I check the permissions on your usb drive?Ta. :">

abarbarian
[root@myhost ~]# ls -l /mediatotal 36drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 28 15:37 Cannopn-DCdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Apr 15 17:48 CANON_DCdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 19 00:09 cdromdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 19 00:09 dvddrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 19 12:08 sdddrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 Apr 24 15:04 sdd1drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 19 01:13 sdfdrwxr-xr-x 3 root root 0 May 23 19:57 sdf1drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 19 00:16 sr0drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 19 00:16 sr1
I do not appear to have,
[root@myhost ~]# ls -l /dev/medials: cannot access /dev/media: No such file or directory
Tried two drives one FAT 32 and one NTFS.Forgot to mention both drives worked just fine last time I tried them a couple of weeks ago. :">

securitybreach

Ok do you know which partition the drive uses? It should be either sdd1 or sdf. Then try

ls -l /dev/sdd1(sdf1)

Replacing /dev/ with the partition the device uses, sdd1 or sdf1.Although, it looks like the device is not mounted.

abarbarian
[root@myhost ~]# ls -l /dev/sdd1brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 49 May 23 22:03 /dev/sdd1
It is definitely mounted as I can play music watch vids etc from files on the drive.Just can not copy files or folders to it. :hmm:Thanks for the help so far. I'm of to bed as it is 2.30 am over here. :"> Edited by abarbarian