Browser Speed Comparisons

havnblast

In order to test each browser's speed response, I put them through a number of tests. Each test has a careful set of rules to make sure that I give unbiased results. Each set of tests are grouped by platform, and for each platform, I use just one computer to ensure that the tests compare just the browsers, and not the hardware or software they run on. Each test is done with a default browser install, without tweaking any settings (I know that many browsers perform slightly better if you tweak their network settings, but this is intended to be a test of a standard browser install - some people also suggest that using a native skin makes a browser faster, but I got virtually identical results with native and non-native skins). With Browsers that also offer email or news features, I enabled these clients, but did not have any email or news items in them (some of them may perform differently if they did, but that is not what I was trying to test).The idea was to find out the fastest browser(s) at performing the major tasks that browser engines are expected to perform. The basic requirements were HTML, CSS, JavaScript, basic DHTML and images - if the browser engine was not capable of performing these tasks then I am not interested and it was not tested.
Test ResultsI was kinda suprised that Opera did that well

Actually, I'm not. Opera was founded by the guy who invented CSS, Hakon Lie.  :)
Ian Hickson, another CSS guru, also works for Opera (he helps with Mozilla too, but much much less than he used to)

So I decided to give the latest Opera a try, been a few years since I last used it and I'm impressed. It is very quick and I see they changed thier ugly ads they use to have. I downloaded the beta version 8.00, but I'm not finding any extensions for it yet.

Opera's UI makes me immediately uninstall it each time I do venture an install.Although each time I try, it gets better. Eventually they'll get there!:w00tx100:Neil

Unimpressed...How about the same tests on modern hardware? Like a P4 3.2 GHz 1GB PC 3200 RAM and a Seagate "cuda" HD or an Athlon 64 3500 with the same memory and hard disk.Before the end of this year we will have dual core chips which will drastically change the face of computing.With newer hardware I believe the times would get smaller and it would be really hard for the average user to notice any difference... Who sits around with a stop watch timing how fast programs load??? Personally, If I was worried about that I be spending money on faster hardware...

Edited by Marsden11