What is wrong with my clock?

nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

Hi.A few weeks back I upgraded my server to Mandrake 9.2. Every since then I've had a wierd problem. I can't set the time zone up. If I try using the clock applet or MCC I get an generic error that says Error Seting New Time Zone. I've tried to set it up manually and it appears to be set correctly. I have /etc/localtime symlinked to /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Chicago and it gets and sets it time up from this time server at 132.163.4.102. I have tried others. What is going on here? I've never had an issue before. Any thing else I need to check?

Hi NathanHave you tried rightclicking the clock, select "Adjust Time and Date" and check if the timezone is set correctly there too ( sometimes it does not take over the settings from the MCC :D )B) Bruno

nlinecomputers

Yep and that is where I get the error and I get the same one in MCC. I've also tried going to the command line and manually setting up the links per this:http://www.linuxsa.org.au/tips/time.htmlhttp://www.icewalkers.com/Linux/Howto/mini...Clock.html#toc2My symbolic links are setup correctly yet the time resets to UTC on reboots or if I have the time set from the internet.

nlinecomputers

Well I do set my clock via time servers but with it not properly setting the timezone the dang thing gets set to UTC instead of local time. I'm central time in the USA so I'm about 6 hours behind GMT. Getting the thing set to UTC is not a problem. It wants to do so every boot. :whistling:

I find that UTC does not always work ( thought it was because they put Amsterdam in the wrong zone :huh: ) so I always have it set to BIOS time:

[bruno:~]$  cat /etc/sysconfig/clockARC=falseZONE=Europe/AmsterdamUTC=false

:huh: Bruno

It is set to UTC. As it should be for a Linux only box.
I use UTC=true on dedicated boxes and UTC=false (ie. BIOS=locatime) on multiboots.Sorry Nathan, does not solve your problem, but both are working fine with Mdk92. I also tested Bruno's rdate tip on both Mdk92 systems, again, both worked fine and /etc/adjtime properly reflects UTC setting.

• 1 month later...
nlinecomputers

Remember this old problem of mine. I've been living with it for some time by just manualy reseting my clock to local time and cringing anytime I see an email that it stamps 6 hours off. Time on this box was just totally off. I am installing MDK 9.2 on a new server for a client and lo a behold this box was doing the exact same time dance.So after doing more googling I managed to fix both of them.Just a few simple steps.Start MCC and use the software packager to install timeconfig.Using the file management tool of your choice remove the /etc/localtime directory.Take a shell prompt SU and run timeconfig. Check hardware set as UTC and time zone as US/Central.shutdown now -rgo into bios and set clock to current correct UTC time.Exit bios and watch system boot and set clock to CST! In only took 10 weeks and 5 reinstalls but I did fix this. I think this is a bug in the hardware clock is set as UTC option in 9.2. Need to test it more to confirm. Did not have this problem on my duel boot system only on my dedicated servers. I note that now /etc/localtime is a file not a directory. Not sure what the heck happends when it does this. Most things in Linux are simple and logical. But time is just a jumble in linux. Too many parts doing the same function.

Hi NathanHad to read this 3 times . . . and still . . . . Man, this is complicated :w00t: :w00t: . . . . . Glad you did find the solution . . . ;);) Bruno