Camera Wizard is missing

Hall

I plug my digital camera into my laptop that is running XP home. The wizard thathas always given me the options to download to a file or print etc. does not come up. I tried the camera on another computer so I know it`s not the camera. I hear the sound the computer makes when it detects hardware. Any suggestions? Thanks

I run the program for my camera from the program files, after I plug the cardreader into the USB port. Don't you have the particular camera program listed in the programs? If not, reinstall the program from the CD.

Edited by zlim

Hall, I think you are talking about a built in feature of XP. It is called autoplay. I am trying to find something that explains how to turn it back on, but have been unsuccessful. Let me do some more digging for ya. :w00t:

The message I get is either the device is malfunctioning or the wizard cannot determine the problem.The camera works on another computer.

I plug my digital camera into my laptop
Have you tried another device on the port you use for the digital camera? This will at least determine if the port itself is functioning properly.Let us know. :D

Guest LilBambi

Have you tried moving it to another USB port to see if it works any better?Or checked your device manager for any yellow bangs (!) next to a USB device?EDIT: removed the info on the camera software as this was an XP built in thing.

Edited by LilBambi

I checked device manager and I know the usb is ok because I can workaround the wizard totransfer the photos. I e-mailed Nikon to see if they can help.

Hall, as far as Nikon is concerned.... the camera works fine. There is some problem with windows not popping up with the camera wizard.

Go ahead and give this a try:

1.      Make sure the camera is plugged in. 2.      Click Start > Search. 3.      When the Search window appears, click "All files and folders" (to the left of the window). 4.      Under "All or part of the file name" (first blank box), type the following: scanner and camera wizard. Click Search. 5.      When the Scanner and Camera Wizard appears on the left, double click the file that appears on the right. 6.      A window will open asking you to select the program to launch. Select "Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard Download pictures from a camera or scanner." Click OK. 7.      The Scanner and Camera Wizard screen should appear. Follow the steps for transferring pictures according to the wizard.
When the wizard pops up, there should be an option to check a box either titled "always ask" or "always use". You want to set the option so that it will always ask what you want to do.

The message I get is "The computer cannot detect the camera or scanner. Please make sure the device is turned on and properly connected to the computer." Thanks for hanging in here with me on this!

Guest LilBambi

Let's see ... ok, grasping here ;)When you connect the USB to the laptop, is it direct to a builtin USB port or to an external USB hub?Some devices need to be direct to computer USB ports due to their own power requirements.Second, are you connecting the camera switched OFF when connecting, and then turning it ON, or having it in the ON position when attaching the USB cable to the laptop?Third, have you tried to remove the item from the device manager entirely and reboot without the camera attached, then connected it? If so, what happens? If not, you could try doing that so it rebuilds the device. Could be corrupted somehow.Hope some of this helps. :w00t:

When you say that you can't detect the device in device manager, do you mean the USB port is not showing?I'll throw out a couple more ideas.1. Do you have access to a card reader (I got mine free after rebate)? If so, put the card in the reader and see if you can onload the pictures.2. Uninstall the camera software and then reinstall it...it is possible that some other software corrupted some of the files.

I don`t see any yellow bands or exclamation marks. I can see usb ports. I just connected anexternal hard drive via usb and the wizard came up. I have tried reinstalling the camera.

Guest LilBambi

OK, btw: what model is the Nikon camera?You have other USB devices too. Now there's another thought. Could be that the USB driver for one of the other devices made it no longer work. That happened to me on Win98SE. Didn't make any sense at all. (My USB scanner worked great. Then I brought home a client's USB cradle and PDA to test it out to see what was wrong with it. Got that all fixed and when I went to use the scanner, it wouldn't work no matter what!)So I removed the USB devices and USB Hub in devices and rebooted with no external USB devices attached and removed any .inf files for USB to a zip file so they wouldn't be found. Then installed the manufacturer's software for the offending device (plugged it in when they said to) and voila, it all worked fine. Apparently it needed a different USB hub driver (that device name was different for some reason from the PDA that I was testing for a client). Go figure.

It is Nikon Coolpix 775. I just reinstalled the camera software again now I can find the camerain device manager but the wizard still doesn`t work.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with an Olympus; just wish I could remember exactly what the fix was! Have you tried the advice listed here at the fourth Q&A? May help. (Bizarrely the value in my registry now is 144 not 145 and autoplay works just fine; so go figure! A previous post suggested the autoplay repair wizard. Let me expand on that idea. Download it but before you run it:1. Connect your camera to your computer, power it on and make sure you have pictures on your memory card. Make sure your batteries are good or better yet, use your AC adapter if your camera came with one.2. Click on Start, click on Run and type the following in the textbox:REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLLand press EnterNote that there is a space between ...32 and SHI...This will take a few seconds to run.Run the wizard, which will take a few seconds.I had no success with the suggested TweakUI option.Even when the autoplay would not work, I found that I could connect the camera and, in Explorer, type the next logical drive letter (even though it was not shown in Explorer) and that would give me access to the USB storage device on the camera. Not perfect but a work around.Good luck, Andy