Desktop Linux Summit 2004

mhbell

The 2004 Desktop Linux Summit is the second annual multi-vendor event developed to give decision-makers the information they need to evaluate a migration to Linux for their desktop computing needs.Desktop Linux Summit will provide an excellent forum for information exchange, problem-solving and professional networking. This conference is focusing on the newfound mobile capabilities of desktop Linux, international expansion, and the growing enterprise involvement in the desktop Linux movement.http://www.desktoplinuxsummit.org/Debian KDE Lindows.com LPINvu Red Hat register.com SeagateSIPphone SWSDA Sun Debian

I'd love to attend as a strong supporter of desktop Linux, but I suspect this is one of those conferences (like the 2 invites I have right here on the desk from MS) that offers to save you $400 if you register early. In other words, just the entrance fee will be beyond my budget. Anyone know the cost? I haven't heard a word about it locally. I'll have to check out the papers.

Heck, even I could afford that. I'll look into it, and if I can attend, I promise lots of pics. Any free goods handed out will remain the property of me, however. :P

Heck, even I could afford that.  I'll look into it, and if I can attend, I promise lots of pics.  Any free goods handed out will remain the property of me, however.  B)
Ah heck, Jeber, I thought you would want to share with us as well! B) --Julia :P

Now why isn't Novell or SuSE in there? I had thought they were involved in it but maybe I'm thinking of a different conference.Have fun, Jeber!  :thumbsup:
SuSE was in it last year and was one of the reasons I went with SuSE for my main Linux Distro. I met their district manager for the USA a very nice guy. I was impressed with the Demo that SuSE put on. They might still be their as all of the vendors are not lined up yet.Mel :(

Suse never played nice with my system even tried the live eval cd no joy there either. ;)
It's funny how that goes sometimes. I can't get the SuSE Live Update CD to work on this system but the full installation has worked great through three different versions. Mandrake works great, too.I had another computer though that SuSE couldn't even get through part of the install and Mandrake installed fine only to have a screen that quite litterally flicked and flashed whenever you moved the mouse in such a way that you'd either be hypnotized or go into a seizure! I have to admit this is the one thing about Linux that drives me bonkers. I wish the distro makers could all agree on a single hardware detection and set of drivers so if it worked on one system, you know it would work on any others.

Aww man And I just got back from San Diego last night( will be going back next month..and might be there in April too...Jeber..What a beautiful town(I was down by old town and stayed on Mission Beach)anyhow doing project with SPAWAR so I'll be out there more ...My apologies to you Jeber, I should have tried to look you up, but was in leaning mode(not only project but learning San Diego too(ok I can get from point a to point b...usually.. :D ) On topic I haven't had any problems with Suse , but have another system on order..so that may change...But I also can't see Novell/SuSE not participating with their merger and the desktop being part of the reason for the merger..I would think they'd really want to be there(hopefully I'm there at the same time(hmm better yet I wonder if I can get company to pay for it :D ...I mean after all Maybe I can figure a way to connect it to my new project...(major unix usage on Gov end BTW)

Barry...I think I know where you're working when you're in town. Dad was a hard hat diver, UDT and Seals, and worked on a lot of projects both on the bay and at North Island. Not far from me at all. You should go to this. Only $35 for military/gov't employees, and it's at the Del Mar Fairgrounds.OK all, I'm signed up for the conference...just need to claim my name tag at the door. Oooo, I'm all a'twitter. And just to be sure, I've already requested the days off...even though the job may not last that long. If they offer wireless, I'll be able to post from there on my laptop. I don't know if my Ricochet coverage extends as far north as the site where the conference is being held, but if it does...I won't need their connections.

If they offer wireless, I'll be able to post from there on my laptop.  I don't know if my Ricochet coverage extends as far north as the site where the conference is being held, but if it does...I won't need their connections.
Jeber, reporting live from Desktop Linux Summit. :blink: That's so kewl. :P

Way to go Jeber. Wish I could be there this year as I really enjoyed it last year, But I have to be in Texas during the dates that they are going to hold it. My Son in Law is taking me Deep Sea Fishing somewhere around Corpus Cristi I ain't gonna miss that. Besides I have to be there for granddaughters graduation.Mel :blink:

Glad you worked that one out Jeber. Hope the employment lasts that long as well. We look forward to our "Live reporting" on the Jeber Network. ;)Julia