New software

iajoe

I'd like to install some software from ckilkatsoft.com. It's called Asp Xml. I'm not sure what it is. It's freeware. I'd like to learn something. Where can I find of quick definition of what some of this stuff is?

I'd like to install some software from ckilkatsoft.com. It's called Asp Xml. I'm not sure what it is. It's freeware. I'd like to learn something. Where can I find of quick definition of what some of this stuff is?
I think you may have misspelled the name of the company you're looking for. ASPXML can be found at:http://www.chilkatsoft.com/AspXml.aspYou can read all about the software on that page, including what it is and what it does. Hope that helps.

Another great thing to do is head over to www.google.com and type the name of the program in and you should be able to find load of information on it including reviews if there are any. Think of Google as you internet's best friend.

Guest ComputerBob
Another great thing to do is head over to www.google.com and type the name of the program in and you should be able to find load of information on it including reviews if there are any.  Think of Google as you internet's best friend.
Exactly.I tend to believe what normal users say about any new software more than I believe what the software's Web site says about it.

:lol: I have enough spare machines around so I try out anything I like the look of without checking it out first. This also explains why (in another thread) I format and reinstall Windows every four to six months.Joy

Guest ComputerBob
I have enough spare machines around so I try out anything I like the look of without checking it out first.  This also explains why (in another thread) I format and reinstall Windows every four to six months.
:D :) :D

Guest LilBambi
:D I have enough spare machines around so I try out anything I like the look of without checking it out first.  This also explains why (in another thread) I format and reinstall Windows every four to six months.Joy
greengeek --Glad you qualified that :) It used to be that anything freeware or shareware was pretty much a great thing ... but now with so many of them having spyware built in, you really will want to check up on any program you download if you don't want to have to deal with the leavings of spyware.Here are some tips to help you choose well:Search Google for the program as already mentioned for reviews and user feedbackCheck:SpyWareInfo.comORSpyChecker.com (recommended by Steve Gibson at GRC.com but keep in mind that any NEW things might not be there since the site doesn't appear to have been updated since the latter part of 2002.)Run an adware/spyware detection/removal program after installing any new software just to be sure. The following are free or free for personal use, other payware products (like PestControl) are also available:Ad-awareSpyBot S&D (Search & Destroy)

Guest LilBambi

quint --Quite so, very important to scan any downloads with an antivirus scanner; whether they are programs, pictures, audio files, whatever ... this of course should be the first thing to do after downloading, before running or opening any file.A good firewall is great for keeping you safe from incoming and outgoing problems (unlike WinXP's built in firewall which only alerts you to incoming problems) Good firewalls actually catch any errant program and let you know about it's nasty habit of trying to phone home right away.Great catch quint! :D

You know,It's almost sad that we have to go through so much just to use our computer/download stuff. I understand being careful for viruses and spyware, but having to run 15 programs and do internet searches just to download and try out freeware seems like overkill to me.I run a realtime AV and Firewall, run adaware once in awhile, and defrag regularly, but that's about it... If i see software that looks interesting (and I'm downloading from a company's website (or a place like download.com), I go ahead and download it... I don't spend 5 hours making sure it's okay first...I make sure to keep my important files backed up regularly, and I'm not afraid to format and reinstall if need be, but I think we're getting a bit crazy about downloading an xml program :D

I considered this to be a bona fide company, so I wasn't too worried about viruses or malware. What I should have said was, "I'm trying to learn something more about computers." I was trying to learn something, but this software was only a quick way back to chilkatsoft.com.

Guest ComputerBob
It's almost sad that we have to go through so much just to use our computer/download stuff.  I understand being careful for viruses and spyware, but having to run 15 programs and do internet searches just to download and try out freeware seems like overkill to me.
I think it comes down to a matter of priorities. You don't want to spend time checking on software, but you don't mind spending time reformatting and reinstalling. I'm just the opposite. :) I probably have close to 100 applications on my Win98SE PC, but I've only had to reformat and reinstall once in the past 4-5 years, and that was due to a catastrophic hardware failure. I treat each new piece of software sort of like a candidate who is applying for a job to work for me. I want to check its references, make sure it knows what it's doing, and see if it will get along with my other "employees" before I "hire" it. Yes, I've sacked many "employees" over the years, but never because they were hurting or killing my other "employees." :D

Guest LilBambi

GolfProRM --I understand what you are saying ... each person has to decide what's logical for their situation.These are not do or die types of things ... but they are ways to keep from having to spend the time reinstalling the system because of sloppy programming, and/or additions to the installation that are not needed or wanted and often hard to extricate.I spend maybe 5 minutes doing research on a program I want to download. Spend about 10 seconds (if that) scanning the file for viruses ... and routinely run Ad-aware and SpyBot S&D weekly when I get my antivirus updates and do a full system scan.If I am suspicious of a program -- meaning -- I could find no clear cut answers as to whether they have spyware in them, I will run SpyBot S&D on my system after installing the program and take a few minutes to go get a cup of coffee or some lunch while it does its thing. It is not an inconvenience to me.To me, these few small things that really do not take as much time as you indicated, do keep me from having to spend two days getting my system back the way I want it after a reinstallation. And as I have indicated in other Topic forums...I have rarely had to reinstall my system.And to me, that's time well spent.Each person needs to determine what level of security, prevention, etc. is right for them.

I think it comes down to a matter of priorities. You don't want to spend time checking on software, but you don't mind spending time reformatting and reinstalling. I'm just the opposite. :) I probably have close to 100 applications on my Win98SE PC, but I've only had to reformat and reinstall once time in the past 4-5 years, and that was due to a catastrophic hardware failure.
I understand where you're coming from, but when I reformat 3-4 times a year anyway (just as a freshener), I've got it down to a streamlined process. Having a piece of software cause me to do it just a bit earlier... I'm not saying that I'm not careful, but I'm impatient :D I'm not going to spend 3 hours looking up info on a piece of software that I want to try out now :D

I considered this to be a bona fide company, so I wasn't too worried about viruses or malware. What I should have said was, "I'm trying to learn something more about computers." I was trying to learn something, but this software was only a quick way back to chilkatsoft.com.
OK then, here's some more information.ASP = Active Server PagesASP is a programming language that allows a web server to do some processing before providing a web page to the user's browser to be displayed on the user's screen. Usually the processing will generate a 'dynamic' web page, customized using database information for the particular viewer and that particular viewing session. You can learn more about ASP many different places on the web. Here's one place to start:W3Schools ASP TutorialXML = eXstensible Markup LanguageXML is a method to define and organize data. It is similar to HTML (HyperText Markup Language) in that it uses 'Markup tags'. However, while the markup tags in HTML define how to display information (emphasized, centered, in a bullet-list, in a table, etc.), the markup tags in XML define what the information represents (customer information, sales data, etc.). You can learn about XML here:W3Schools XML TutorialThe piece of software you mentioned in your first post is a tool that ASP programmers can use to more easily use XML data in their web pages. A lot of the detailed 'behind the scenes' processing is taken care of by the ASPXML tool, allowing the ASP programmer to concentrate on other things.I hope this helped.

GolfProRM --I understand what you are saying ... each person has to decide what's logical for their situation.These are not do or die types of things ... but they are ways to keep from having to spend the time reinstalling the system because of sloppy programming, and/or additions to the installation that are not needed or wanted and often hard to extricate.I spend maybe 5 minutes doing research on a program I want to download. Spend about 10 seconds (if that) scanning the file for viruses ... and routinely run Ad-aware and SpyBot S&D weekly when I get my antivirus updates and do a full system scan.If I am suspicious of a program -- meaning -- I could find no clear cut answers as to whether they have spyware in them, I will run SpyBot S&D on my system after installing the program and take a few minutes to go get a cup of coffee or some lunch while it does its thing. It is not an inconvenience to me.To me, these few small things that really do not take as much time as you indicated, do keep me from having to spend two days getting my system back the way I want it after a reinstallation.  And as I have indicated in other Topic forums...I have rarely had to reinstall my system.And to me, that's time well spent.Each person needs to determine what level of security, prevention, etc. is right for them.
I use SpyBot S&D and think it's great; here's another, that works as a complement to it:http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

I use SpyBot S&D and think it's great; here's another, that works as a complement to it:http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
I've tried SpyBot, and never got along with it... It seemed like it was doing the same thing adaware was, only being more difficult about it. I never caught anything with Spybot that I didn't catch with Adaware, while the opposite wasn't the case. Adaware found 4 or 5 more things that Spybot didn't (2 or three different times on different machines), so based on my informal study, I didn't see the value in running TWO spyware programs...

I've tried SpyBot, and never got along with it... It seemed like it was doing the same thing adaware was, only being more difficult about it. I never caught anything with Spybot that I didn't catch with Adaware, while the opposite wasn't the case. Adaware found 4 or 5 more things that Spybot didn't (2 or three different times on different machines), so based on my informal study, I didn't see the value in running TWO spyware programs...
Have heard differing views from both camps; I'm glad you're satisfied with AdAware, have never tried it, but so far SpyBot has been good to me. If I have any problems, I'll be sure to try AdAware. Thanks,

Guest LilBambi

SpyBot S&D and Ad-aware have both been around for quite some time ... I have used them both since the first couple months each of them was released. I like them both. They both do a great job.I have found that they complement each other very well.

When I was a kid in AZ, we had lots of cliffs at water's edge (especially the Verde and Salt Rivers). I would slip into the water under the cliff, check out my target area, then climb up and dive off. I LOVED IT!I also love to try new software, especially the avante free stuff (downloaded two today).Norton's up. AVG is up. I only download from sites that I trust, seldom downloading from a programmer's site unless I am sent there by a trusted site.Have I ever had problems? Yes. Have they been disasterous? NO.I don't want to take all of my fun out of it.By the way, Google is an excellent resource. Also, Computer Bob is right on when he says he pays more attention to user comments than developer comments. When on ZD Net, et al, I read the negative reviews FIRST, and they are sometimes all I need to move on right away.By the way, my W2K OS has been up for 11 months (I reinstalled after we moved), and I am going to try for 3 years before I reinstall again. Can he do it? Stay tuned. :unsure: