Nvidia Drivers in Mandriva 2007

Bruno

======= UPDATED INSTRUCTIONS ========If you want to install the Nvidia drivers in Mandriva 2007:First set up the sources:

# urpmi.addmedia main ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/main/release  with ../../media_info/hdlist_main.cz

( !! Command is ONE line !! )

# urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrakelinux/official/2006.0/i586/media/contrib/release  with ../../media_info/hdlist_contrib.cz

# urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/2007.0/free/release/binary/i586 with hdlist.cz

# urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/2007.0/non-free/release/binary/i586 with hdlist.cz

( !! Command is ONE line !! )Next do:For new cards**

# urpmi dkms-nvidia

For old cards**

# urpmi dkms-nvidia_legacy

** See for old/new cards this page of PCLos: http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/NVidiaListAfter the install of those packages do:1. Run "XFdrake" as root.2. Go to the Graphics Card list.3. Select your card (it is usually already autoselected).4. Answer any questions asked and then quit.5. REBOOTNOTE: The advantage of using the dkms-nvidia is that when you do a kernel upgrade in the furure you do not have to reinstall the nvidia drivers.B) BrunoPS: If after that you want to enable the 3D desktop have a look here: http://www.steletch.org/spip.php?article38

If you want to install the Nvidia drivers in Mandriva 2007:Setup the PLF sources ( see: http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ ) and do:For new cards**
# urpmi dkms-nvidia

For old cards**

# urpmi dkms-nvidia_legacy

** See for old/new cards this page of PCLos: http://www.pclinuxonline.com/wiki/NVidiaListIf after that you want to enable the 3D desktop have a look here: http://www.steletch.org/spip.php?article38:) Bruno

Bruno the top link is not working.server not found.

V.T. Eric Layton

COOL! I couldn't get a decent d-load of Mandriva previously, but I'll definitely try this one now. Thanks, Prof! :)

B) [mucks@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost mucks]# urpmi.addmedia main ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakel...ia/main/release with media_info/hdlist.czadded medium mainwrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Main.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Main Updates.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Contrib.cz]examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.update_source.cz]computing md5sum of existing source hdlist (or synthesis)retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "main"... ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakel..._info/hdlist.czfound probed hdlist (or synthesis) as media_info/hdlist.cz...retrieving doneexamining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.main.cz]examining pubkey file of "main"...built hdlist synthesis file for medium "main"found 0 headers in cacheremoving 0 obsolete headers in cachewrote config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg][root@localhost mucks]# urpmi dkms-nvidiano package named dkms-nvidiadoh! B)

Hi Neil!Did you go first to the http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ url that Bruno mentionned and proceed from there. I think you are missing the PLF sources. Go to the link and take it from there. I know this is something I will have to do myself as soon as I receive my new nvidia card. Good luck!

Edited by réjean

Hi Neil!Did you go first to the http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ url that Bruno mentionned and proceed from there. I think you are missing the PLF sources. Go to the link and take it from there. I know this is something I will have to do myself as soon as I receive my new nvidia card. Good luck!
Yep, thought I would save on paper, but here you go ...
[mucks@localhost ~]$ suPassword:[root@localhost mucks]# urpmi.addmedia main ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakel...ia/main/release with media_info/hdlist.czmedium "main" already exists[root@localhost mucks]# urpmi.addmedia contrib ftp://anorien.csc.warwick.ac.uk/Mandrakel...contrib/release with media_info/hdlist.czmedium "contrib" already exists[root@localhost mucks]# urpmi dkms-nvidiano package named dkms-nvidia[root@localhost mucks]#
... it no workie. B)

I still don't see the PLF sources. What do you see if you go into MCC ( Mandriva Linux Control Center, then Software Management and then click on the 4th (bottom right)icon. Do you see the PLF there?And in the konsole did you try

#urpmi addmedia plf-free

Edited by réjean

I see no software managment in control centre ... :) Sorry, please speak English (UK) ... what is PLF B) They have made some changes, but you still need to go 5-6 deep in fly-outs just to get to anywhere ... they really should bin that. B)

Sorry Neil. Mandriva is to blame here. Where you looked was in KDE Control Center. Click on the Start button ( the star), then on System, then Configuration and finally on Configure Your Computer.I don't know what plf stands for.

[mucks@mucks-vista-pc ~]$ urpmi addmedia plf-freebash: urpmi: command not found[mucks@mucks-vista-pc ~]$ suPassword:[root@mucks-vista-pc mucks]# urpmi addmedia plf-freeno package named addmediano package named plf-free[root@mucks-vista-pc mucks]#
There you go ...I found another Control Center B) I have ...MainMain UpdatesContribupdate_sourcemaincontrib... me thinks I got too many now. B)

Too many? Try running ubuntu... I have almost a dozen sources! B) Adam
All I want is a 'working' Linux on this PC ... I been down this road before with Maddriver and it is already throwing up errors again.Some software canot install ... I know not what, 'cos I ain't installing anything ... then a message pops up, something about the sound driver not working.So I rebooted ... If I have to re-boot once more I may as well go back to Vista. B)

There you go ...I found another Control Center B) I have ...MainMain UpdatesContribupdate_sourcemaincontrib... me thinks I got too many now. B)
Hi Neil you've got to go back to the link http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ then click on the right of Mandrake version, I guess you choose Mandriva 2007 Community, then your computer architecture ( is yours 64?) then click on Proceed to step 2 and take it from there.

Hi Neil you've got to go back to the link http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ then click on the right of Mandrake version, I guess you choose Mandriva 2007 Community, then your computer architecture ( is yours 64?) then click on Proceed to step 2 and take it from there.
Nope, not 64bit on this PC, and it still comes out the same.I found nluug but I cannot use them as it is already installed also ???????????? B)

Hi NeilGive me an hour to prepare/eat dinner and I will post you the PLF ( Penguin Liberation Front ) sources:)B) Bruno

Okay . . .dinner can wait :Dhere they are:

# urpmi.addmedia plf-free ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/free/2007.0/i586 with hdlist.cz

# urpmi.addmedia plf-nonfree ftp://ftp.free.fr/pub/Distributions_Linux/plf/mandrake/non-free/2007.0/i586 with hdlist.cz

2x ONE line of codeB) Bruno

Hello Bruno ... is that the time already? where did the today go?If I were you, and I would, go get your dinner ... 'cos you is just gonna love this ,,,On my previous post you can see the Konsol clearly says ...[mucks@localhost ~]$[root@localhost mucks]#now ... take another look.[mucks@mucks-vista-pc ~]$[root@mucks-vista-pc mucks]# :huh: What the F... get out of here, this is a 'clean' install where the **** did that vista bit come from? :) err, back on topicit is now working, but B) I have 8 options ... B)

[root@mucks-vista-pc mucks]# urpmi dkms-nvidiaOne of the following packages is needed: 1- kernel-source-stripped-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to install) 2- kernel-tmb-source-2.6.17.13-4mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The Linux source code for kernel-tmb-2.6.17.13-4mdv (to install) 3- kernel-multimedia-source-2.6.17.13-3mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel-multimedia-2.6.17.13-3mdv (to install) 4- kernel-multimedia-source-stripped-2.6.17.13-3mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The stripped source code for the Linux kernel-multimedia-2.6.17.13-3mdv (to install) 5- kernel-tmb-source-stripped-2.6.17.13-4mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The stripped Linux source code for kernel-tmb-2.6.17.13-4mdv (to install) 6- kernel-linus-source-2.6.18.rc7.1mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install) 7- kernel-source-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install) 8- kernel-linus-source-stripped-2.6.18.rc7.1mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code of the Linux kernel stripped for post build (to install)What is your choice? (1-8)
Go have dinner ... I am. ;)

Hi MucksTo answer that I would have to see what kernel you are booting:

$ ls -al /boot

B) BrunoPS: the "[mucks@mucks-vista-pc ~]$" is because the DHCP from your router pushes that name ( you probably had vista installed at some time . . . give Linux a Static IP address and a hostname and all will be fine ;)

Hello Bruno ... is that the time already? where did the today go?If I were you, and I would, go get your dinner ... 'cos you is just gonna love this ,,,On my previous post you can see the Konsol clearly says ...[mucks@localhost ~]$[root@localhost mucks]#now ... take another look.[mucks@mucks-vista-pc ~]$[root@mucks-vista-pc mucks]# :huh: What the F... get out of here, this is a 'clean' install where the **** did that vista bit come from? :icon8: err, back on topicit is now working, but ;) I have 8 options ... B) Go have dinner ... I am. ;)
I don't mean to butt in but have been following along with this =as i have the same problem as you EXCEPT i have 12 choices where you have 8.Don't think we should go "enimine mini moe.

Hi DensePlease show me

$ ls -al /boot

and the choices you have and I will tell you which one to choose ;);) Bruno

Hi MucksTo answer that I would have to see what kernel you are booting:
$ ls -al /boot

:icon8: BrunoPS: the "[mucks@mucks-vista-pc ~]$" is because the DHCP from your router pushes that name ( you probably had vista installed at some time . . . give Linux a Static IP address and a hostname and all will be fine B)

Yes, I had Vista on this PC ... ;) as for static and name calling, I'll get a round-to-it when I know how. :huh:
total 3256drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 Oct 4 16:55 ./drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 1024 Oct 4 16:54 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Oct 4 13:30 boot.0300lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Oct 4 16:54 config -> config-2.6.17-5mdv-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 77051 Sep 13 19:33 config-2.6.17-5mdvdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Oct 4 13:30 grub/-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 363880 Oct 4 13:30 initrd-2.6.17-5mdv.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Oct 4 13:30 initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.17-5mdv.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Oct 4 16:55 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.17-5mdv-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1493 Oct 4 13:37 kernel.h-2.6.17-5mdv-rw------- 1 root root 254976 Oct 4 13:30 maplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Oct 4 13:30 message -> message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 235009 Oct 4 13:30 message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116 Oct 4 13:30 message-textlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Oct 4 13:37 System.map -> System.map-2.6.17-5mdv-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 667511 Sep 13 19:33 System.map-2.6.17-5mdv-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 Oct 4 13:30 uk-latin1.kltlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Oct 4 13:30 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.17-5mdv-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1706177 Sep 13 19:33 vmlinuz-2.6.17-5mdv[mucks@mucks-vista-pc ~]$
... there you go ... was Dinner ok, need any afters, have some nice chocolate fudge cake here, made it myself and very nice it is to. ;)

Hi NeilChocolate fudge cake would be nice indeed :DSo you use the "normal" kernel . . in that case bot choice 1 and 7 would be okay . . . "7" is the complete source and takes about 100 MB . . . "1" is the stripped source with only what is needed for this job.If you have enough space and broadband I would take 7About the "static" . . start another thread and I will help you ;)B) Bruno** I will split off the PLF/nvidia related stuff soon in a separate thread ;)

ah halooks like I choose ... 1 B) but I'll wait ... this monkey knows best. ;) can we change the konsole ... white on black to black on white ... I find it very hard to read.

can we change the konsole ... white on black to black on white ... I find it very hard to read.
Sure, "Settings"--> "Schema" ;);) Bruno

Hi DensePlease show me
$ ls -al /boot

and the choices you have and I will tell you which one to choose ;);) Bruno

total 3167drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 Oct 4 07:30 ./drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 1024 Oct 4 07:29 ../-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Oct 3 09:36 boot.0308lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Oct 4 07:29 config -> config-2.6.17-5mdv-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 77051 Sep 13 11:33 config-2.6.17-5mdvdrwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Oct 3 09:35 grub/-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 272346 Oct 3 09:35 initrd-2.6.17-5mdv.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Oct 3 09:35 initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.17-5mdv.imglrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Oct 4 07:30 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.17-5mdv-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1493 Oct 3 16:45 kernel.h-2.6.17-5mdv-rw------- 1 root root 258048 Oct 3 09:36 maplrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Oct 3 09:36 message -> message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 235009 Oct 3 09:35 message-graphic-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116 Oct 3 09:36 message-textlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Oct 3 16:45 System.map -> System.map-2.6.17-5mdv-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 667511 Sep 13 11:33 System.map-2.6.17-5mdv-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 Oct 3 09:36 us.kltlrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Oct 3 09:35 vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.6.17-5mdv-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1706177 Sep 13 11:33 vmlinuz-2.6.17-5mdv[root@localhost ~]# These are mine, but new to this and when i go back to get the choices it says already entered or somthing like that So i guess(know) i am doing somthing wrong. Not unusual for me.

Hi DenseYou need this one as well: kernel-source-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)But if you think it is already installed . . please show me

$ ls /usr/src

;) Bruno

Hi DenseYou need this one as well: kernel-source-2.6.17.5mdv-1-1mdv2007.0.i586 : The source code for the Linux kernel (to install)But if you think it is already installed . . please show me
$ ls /usr/src

;) Bruno

[root@localhost ~]# total 3167-bash: total: command not found[root@localhost ~]# drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 1024 Oct 4 07:30 ./-bash: drwxr-xr-x: command not found[root@localhost ~]# drwxr-xr-x 23 root root 1024 Oct 4 07:29 ../-bash: drwxr-xr-x: command not found[root@localhost ~]# -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 512 Oct 3 09:36 boot.0308-bash: -rw-r--r--: command not found[root@localhost ~]# lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Oct 4 07:29 config -> config-2.6.17-5mdv-bash: lrwxrwxrwx: command not found[root@localhost ~]# -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 77051 Sep 13 11:33 config-2.6.17-5mdv-bash: -rw-r--r--: command not found[root@localhost ~]# drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 1024 Oct 3 09:35 grub/-bash: drwxr-xr-x: command not found[root@localhost ~]# -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 272346 Oct 3 09:35 initrd-2.6.17-5mdv.img-bash: -rw-r--r--: command not found[root@localhost ~]# lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Oct 3 09:35 initrd.img -> initrd-2.6.17-5mdv.img-bash: lrwxrwxrwx: command not found[root@localhost ~]# lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Oct 4 07:30 kernel.h -> /boot/kernel.h-2.6.17-5mdv-bash: lrwxrwxrwx: command not found[root@localhost ~]# -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1493 Oct 3 16:45 kernel.h-2.6.17-5mdv-bash: -rw-r--r--: command not found[root@localhost ~]# -rw------- 1 root root 258048 Oct 3 09:36 map-bash: -rw-------: command not found[root@localhost ~]# lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 15 Oct 3 09:36 message -> mess age-graphic-bash: lrwxrwxrwx: command not found[root@localhost ~]# -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 235009 Oct 3 09:35 message-graphic-bash: -rw-r--r--: command not found[root@localhost ~]# -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 116 Oct 3 09:36 message-text-bash: -rw-r--r--: command not found[root@localhost ~]# lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Oct 3 16:45 System.map -> S ystem.map-2.6.17-5mdv-bash: lrwxrwxrwx: command not found[root@localhost ~]# -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 667511 Sep 13 11:33 System.map-2.6. 17-5mdv-bash: -rw-r--r--: command not found[root@localhost ~]# -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 256 Oct 3 09:36 us.klt-bash: -rw-r--r--: command not found[root@localhost ~]# lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Oct 3 09:35 vmlinuz -> vmli nuz-2.6.17-5mdv-bash: lrwxrwxrwx: command not found[root@localhost ~]# -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1706177 Sep 13 11:33 vmlinuz-2.6.17- 5mdv-bash: -rw-r--r--: command not found[root@localhost ~]# [root@localhost ~]# Told you i know i am doing somthing wrong = now you believe me?