IE 7, AOL, Opera, Firefox

Catmoves

;) A strange problem here. We're using Win XP Pro SP2. Also can use the four browsers shown in Topic Title. There's a game at miniclip.com called Pengapop that requires the Shockwave player. However, when first loaded, or updated, the AOL, Opera and Firefox browsers can play the game immediately. After shutting down the computer, the three of them loose the connection and a window pops up telling us (two different computers) that there was an error and Shockwave cannot function. However. if we switch to IE 7, the game loads and plays normally. We've tried using CCleaner, Disc Cleanup and Drive Cleaner, run Adaware, even Defragging. Nothing seems to help. Computers both use Zone Alarm firewall and Avast exclusively. The question is: Why does this happen and how do we fix it permanently?

Guest LilBambi

I would suggest going to Secunia.com and making use of their online Software Inspector to make sure you have the very latest in plugins for your browsers/system.If not get them. You only know it's shockwave but not what underlying plugin may be being called.If you have all the latest plugins for your browsers/system, then you may have to just use IE7. Some sites are optimized for IE. Unfortunate but true.BTW: Welcome Catmoves!

I would suggest going to Secunia.com and making use of their online Software Inspector to make sure you have the very latest in plugins for your browsers/system.If not get them. You only know it's shockwave but not what underlying plugin may be being called.If you have all the latest plugins for your browsers/system, then you may have to just use IE7. Some sites are optimized for IE. Unfortunate but true.BTW: Welcome Catmoves!
Lil Bambi, I have used that Secunia program since it came out. Love it. (Always use the deep scan phase, too.) The problem seems to be in the browsers inability to always find the Shockwave program. Right now, my darling has gotten AOL browser to play the game. Ah, the mysteries of Windows. ;) Thank you for the welcome. Edited by Catmoves

Guest LilBambi

If they have a newer version of AOL that could be because it's using the IE7 engine for it. The newer AOL automatically chooses the engine by the site's recommendations. Very much like the new Netscape does. That's likely why it's working there.Glad they got it working.I too have used Secunia's Software Inspector. It comes in very handy! :thumbsup:Happy to have you with us at Scot's Newsletter Forums!

• 3 weeks later...
If they have a newer version of AOL that could be because it's using the IE7 engine for it. The newer AOL automatically chooses the engine by the site's recommendations. Very much like the new Netscape does. That's likely why it's working there.Glad they got it working.I too have used Secunia's Software Inspector. It comes in very handy! :thumbsup:Happy to have you with us at Scot's Newsletter Forums!
:thumbsup: Thank you LilBambi. I use the newest version of AOL (9.0 VR) now. Had the same problem no matter which version of AOL Browser I used. I downloaded Maxthon Browser recently and it can find the Shockwave, too. Sigh. AOL still can't. I've even tried AOL Computer Checkup to no avail. Gues I'll just stick to IE and Max browsers if I want to play this game.

Guest LilBambi

You will find that some browsers work better than other for different things. We all need to be abit flexible in that area, I think, so we can use the best tool for the given job.Likewise, I would recommend NOT using the AOL Computer Checkup in the future. It has been known to break things.

You will find that some browsers work better than other for different things. We all need to be abit flexible in that area, I think, so we can use the best tool for the given job.Likewise, I would recommend NOT using the AOL Computer Checkup in the future. It has been known to break things.
:offtopic: Thanks for the tip. I will remove that feature from AOL and see if it helps.