2 little Firebird tips

Gus K

I've saved a copy of Firebird's 'plugins' folder. After a new version install I just replace the new one with this one. If you start losing your bookmark favicon/icons, clear your cache.

Good tip! I do that too.Saves re-installing Flash, and the FlashGet browser integration that I use ( and recommend. FlashGet works excellently as a download manager for Firebird - using the Opera plug-in!).Another great idea is sharing one bookmark folder for two profiles. I have one profile for proxy connection and one for direct. It was always confusing with bookmarks.Now I use the same bookmarks.html file for both. You just need to add a line to one profile's user.js file pointing to the other one's bookmarks location.See:Firebird Tips and Tricks page for details. The trick says it's for Mozilla/Netscape bookmarks, but you could use it for any Moz-based browsers. :lol:

my 2 favorite tips that i didnt notice until recently and cant do without:- Middle click a link to launch it in a tab (i always right-clicked and "open in new tab" before... doh!!)- drag and drog the icon next to URL string to desktop or notepad to make a shortcut or copy the URL.

Cluttermagnet
my 2 favorite tips that i didnt notice until recently and cant do without:- Middle click a link to launch it in a tab (i always right-clicked and "open in new tab" before...  doh!!)- drag and drog the icon next to URL string to desktop or notepad to make a shortcut or copy the URL.
Thanks, Prelude-I am using Moz 1.4.1 for a few days lately, and I thought I had heard that it had tabbed browsing like Firebird. So far, I had been doing CTRL - left click on url, which opens a new browser instance. Your tip about right click - open link in new tab is great. Bingo! That's the one I was looking for. I don't have a middle wheel/ button on the mouse used with this machine, so your preferred method won't work for me, but the right click thing is good enough. Firebird has already spoiled me and I use it almost exclusively, but I wanted to try a late version non-beta Moz build. I like it. I get resource leaks with Firebird. Pretty rapid at times. I have seen that in the past when a netscape browser (4.79) would choke on certain MS CSS sites and you could literally see Resource meter going down into the yellow/ red. Yes, I'm running 98SE. I wonder if Firebird is perhaps having some sort of javascript or CSS indigestion on my machine/ OS.The other tips in this thread about shared profiles and cookies also sound great. I'm definitely going to give that a try too.

- Middle click a link to launch it in a tab (i always right-clicked and "open in new tab" before...  doh!!)
Thanks so much for this tip, I love it!ps. Does anyone else notice that the mousewheel doesn't work while either the 'Enter your Post' or 'Original Post to Quote' text-boxes have focus (under Firebird) but it does continue to work using IE!?!?!?!

Guest ThunderRiver
I've saved a copy of Firebird's  'plugins' folder.  After a new version install I just replace the new one with this one.  If you start losing your bookmark favicon/icons, clear your cache.
You could lose bookmarks and icons just because the cache is full? Boy this is a bug, not a tip lol

You could lose bookmarks and icons
No I just meant the little favicons (is that the right term for those little icon things?) that show up with your bookmarks. No loss of bookmarks, just the identifying icon. Scot's Forum doesn't have one (just shows a generic folder), but many sites do. If Firebird crashes they also will disappear until you use them again.

my 2 favorite tips that i didnt notice until recently and cant do without:- Middle click a link to launch it in a tab (i always right-clicked and "open in new tab" before...  doh!!)- drag and drog the icon next to URL string to desktop or notepad to make a shortcut or copy the URL.
You can also middle click on an open tab to close it and double (left) click on a blank spot on the tab bar to open a new tab.Also, you can drag the favicon (icon next to URL) to the bookmarks sidebar (I'm sure you can do it on the Bookmark Toolbar, but I don't use it) to make an instant bookmark!

You could lose bookmarks and icons
No I just meant the little favicons (is that the right term for those little icon things?) that show up with your bookmarks. No loss of bookmarks, just the identifying icon. Scot's Forum doesn't have one (just shows a generic folder), but many sites do. If Firebird crashes they also will disappear until you use them again.
I think you guys are referring to Bug 109959, but it could be a different bug, this was just the first one that I found when I searched b.m.o.[Edit]I found Bug 120352, which is a tracking but for favicon problems...64 dependencies, 15 of which are Fixed/Dupe/WorksForMe

ps.  Does anyone else notice that the mousewheel doesn't work while either the 'Enter your Post' or 'Original Post to Quote' text-boxes have focus (under Firebird) but it does continue to work using IE!?!?!?!
The reason for that is because now the text boxes have focus, and if these boxes have scrollbars (post a long enough message and you'll see what I'm talking about), they'll scroll with the wheel... Firebird will scroll whatever box has focus if it can. ;) It's a feature, not a bug. :)

ps.  Does anyone else notice that the mousewheel doesn't work while either the 'Enter your Post' or 'Original Post to Quote' text-boxes have focus (under Firebird) but it does continue to work using IE!?!?!?!
The reason for that is because now the text boxes have focus, and if these boxes have scrollbars (post a long enough message and you'll see what I'm talking about), they'll scroll with the wheel... Firebird will scroll whatever box has focus if it can. ;) It's a feature, not a bug. :)
Thanks for the info...not sure I like this bonus 'feature' though. Oh well, just need to retrain my brain. Now if I could only get RoboForm to make a plug-in for Firebird I'd be able to 100% switch.

Now if I could only get RoboForm to make a plug-in for Firebird I'd be able to 100% switch.
did you try the built-in save form feature? even the built-in password manager is great. it remembers multi users (say for hotmail) and by pressing down, you can get a list of possibilites for dialog boxes.(i think its 'press down', but i'm not sure actually. am i right, GolfProRM? or do you hold CTRL or something?)cluttermagnet:
I don't have a middle wheel/ button on the mouse used with this machine, so your preferred method won't work for me, but the right click thing is good enough.
no middle button? do you have a Mac? :rolleyes: I even have a 'thumb' button that i have set up as the BACK button. makes browing great! we all have thumbs, lets use them :thumbsup:

did you try the built-in save form feature?  even the built-in password manager is great.  it remembers multi users (say for hotmail) and by pressing down, you can get a list of possibilites for dialog boxes.(i think its 'press down', but i'm not sure actually.  am i right, GolfProRM?  or do you hold CTRL or something?)
I didn't know that but I can't seem to get it to work for multiple Yahoo! id's. Actually, I can't get it to ask me period at Yahoo! And it's not in the Never At This List.

Actually, I can't get it to ask me period at Yahoo! And it's not in the Never At This List.
That's a Yahoo thing (not allowed) has nothing to do with the browser.
Now if I could only get RoboForm to make a plug-in for Firebird I'd be able to 100% switch.
You could always try Gator. :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

The first of this week, I wrote to the developers of Robo Form and they are working on a plug in for Firebird. They responded quickly and said they hoped to have this finished in two weeks. Hope so!

The first of this week, I wrote to the developers of Robo Form and they are working on a plug in for Firebird.  They responded quickly and said they hoped to have this finished in two weeks.  Hope so!
Great news! Especially since their site says this:
Release Schedule.We publish Adapter only for official dot releases such as 1.2 or 1.3.1, not for alpha and beta releases.