Mandrake 9.2

nilson

The Mandrake Club site says it is "planned for the end of October, earlier for Club members." That means if you are not a club member you won't have access until the end of the month. Those of us that are club members are sitting and waiting for the release. Probably in a week or two.

Maybe I'll give 9.2 a try then, didn't think muh of 9.1 personally... Below is the information I could find on it, It's the beta information, so it may have changed slightly...Major software included: - kernel 2.4.21 - gcc 3.3.1pre - mozilla 1.4 - kde 3.1.2 - evolution 1.4.3 - XFree86 4.3 - apache 2.0.47 - galeon 1.3.6 - koffice 1.3beta

Does anyone have a good handle on what's new in Mandrake 9.2?-- Scot
Distrowatch has a good summary of Mandrake status. Not too many changes in the Cooker since RC2. Samba 3 seem to be the only big update item missing from the standard components.Teacher has been running RC1 since available as her default distro. No major problems reported. I am sure she or Bruno can give you more details.

I have stayed with RC1 because it has been so free of problems. I have had no problem whatsoever that did not occur in 9.1. (Galeon crashes once in a while). I did not plan to use it as my primary but I was exploring and I just stayed there. A few rearrangements of where to find things, some upgrades in programs (a good list up above). They have closed the cooker down so that means they are getting close and think the bugs are out. RC1 came out August 27. RC 2 came out September 24. From the Mandrake Club:

It's not a big secret that Mandrake Linux 9.2 will be released within the next few weeks. Maybe you've already heard about its great new features, such as the improved "MandrakeGalaxy" look & feel, updated Mandrake tools, new OpenOffice.org office suite, the latest Mozilla, and much more to make it one of the most eagerly awaited Linux systems. You'll also discover that a new Mandrake Pack has been created -- the Mandrake 9.2 'Discovery Pack' is MandrakeSoft's first desktop product that has been specifically designed to be accessible even by Linux beginners!

For those of you who don´t want the download edition but buy a boxed version . . . Mandrake store is taking pre-orders from today:

October 6th, 2003 - Mandrake Linux 9.2 pre-orders being accepted! - It's not a big secret that Mandrake Linux 9.2 will be released within the next few weeks. Don't delay, pre-order your pack today and be among the first to receive Mandrake Linux 9.2 when it begins shipping! MandrakeClub members qualify for an immediate 20% discount on Mandrake Linux 9.2 products by pre-ordering now. To learn more about Mandrake Club and how to subscribe, please see this page.
Mandrake Store: http://www.mandrakestore.com ( if you´re member of the club, fill in your login and password at the checkout and you will get 20% )Mandrake Club: http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/club/:o Bruno* ordering my PowerPack NOW . . .

I've been looking at the different versions of it for the past half hour. For someone who has been in Linux a while is there a reason to pay the extra for the box and manuals? Why chose the PowerPack versus the ProSuite? Give us your reasoning. Money is talking here. :o

Only if you want to give extra support to Mandrake, and an easy install of Real-player, Java, Nvidia drivers a boxed version is a good idea . . . but you can also download all this seperately and add it to your download version . . . . All the docs are available online too . . . . Just finished my order . . . the dollar is cheap, so I had a real good deal in renewing my club membership too. ;)B) Bruno

Sorry . . the difference Pro version and Powerpack:PRO SUITE:Content- 9 CDs including server installation CD and IBM DB2 8.1- 1 Workstation DVD- 2 manuals : "The Starter Guide" and the Reference Manual.Support- 90 days mail installation support- 60 days phone installation support (limited to 5 incidents)- 3 months MandrakeClub subscriptionOverviewRunDeploy Samba to provide file and print services for Windows PCs with supportfor Windows ACLsKeep your system up-to-date regularly and safely with MandrakeUpdate, the easiest software management system everEasily and securely administer all the services even remotely (ssh, webmin) thanks to powerful administration toolsBuildDuplicate your installation from one machine to another with Auto-InstallCreate email servers using Postfix or Sendmail along with the included POP3, IMAP, and Webmail serversKeep your data secure with world-class database servers: MySQL and PostgreSQL(also included 90 day full trial of IBM DB2 Universal DatabaseTM)Deploy and ManageBenefit from the secured Apache Advanced Extranet Server and create a Web server with easeSet up, deploy and maintain your systems thanks to full featured configuration toolsReduce your administration costsCreate and ShareCreate, use and share Microsoft Office compatible files (xls, doc, ppt) with a complete office suite: OpenOffice.orgInstall your workstations simply and rapidly with the DVDSecureProtect the integrity of your data with journaling file systems: ReiserFS, Ext3, XFSor JFS. For enhanced security, store your sensitive data on an encrypted file systemProtect your enterprise information system with a 24/7 dependable firewallBenefit from the latest updated versions of Apache, Postfix, Samba, MySQL, PostgreSQL...Secure your workstations with MandrakeSoft's exclusive tool: DrakSecAuthentificate using LDAP, NIS, KerberosMajor Open Source software includedLinux Kernel 2.4.22 (Enterprise Kernel supporting up to 64Gb RAM).Apache 2.0.47, MySQL 4.0.15, PostgreSQL 7.3.4, PHP 4.3.2, Glibc 2.3.2, GCC 3.3.1,RPM 4.2, KDE 3.1.3, GNOME 2, XFree86 4.3 , QT 3.1.2, and GNU tools.Server support covering:- Web Server (Apache)- Mail Server (Postfix, Sendmail)- File and printer sharing for Windows (Samba)- FTP Server- Secure remote administration (SSH)Price: $ 199POWERPACK: Content- 7 CDs- 1 manual: "The Starter guide"Support- 60 days Mail installation support- 1 month MandrakeClub subscription10 good reasons to choose Mandrake Linux PowerPackComplete office suite: create, use and share all Microsoft Office compatible files (xls, doc, ppt)Multimedia: enjoy excellent music, video and graphic applicationsCommunication: easily set up your Internet connection and get instant access to all online resources including email, chat ...Choice: benefit from over 3000 applications included on your CDs plus many more available from MandrakeClub.comStability: Mandrake Linux is rock-solid with 24/7 dependabilitySecurity and privacy: ensured by an integrated firewall and VPN supportUp-to-date: keep your system up-to-date regularly and safely with MandrakeUpdateEase of use: experience our intuitive interface and toolsCompatibility: run Windows and Mandrake Linux on the same computer simultaneouslySupport: benefit from MandrakeSoft's 60 days online support and one month free Mandrakeclub membershipPrice : $ 69 STANDARD: ( DISCOVERY ) Content- 2 CDs- The Discovering Mandrake Linux GuideSupport- 30 days Mail Installation support- 1 Month MandrakeClub subscription10 good reasons to choose Discovery 9.2Complete office suite: create, use and share all Microsoft Office compatible files (xls, doc, ppt)Fun: discover many entertaining games: arcade, adventure, 3D, learning for kids...Multimedia: enjoy excellent music, video and graphic applicationsCommunication: easily set up your Web connection and get instant access to all online resources: email, chat ...Plugins: benefit from many pre-installed Web plugins such as Macromedia FlashTM, Adobe Acrobat Reader, RealPlayer ...Choice: easily install many applications from your CDs and MandrakeClub.comSimple hardware configuration: use our intuitive graphical interface and automatic hardware recognition (mouse, scanner, printer, digital camera, etc)Compatibility: run Windows and Mandrake Linux on the same computer simultaneouslyEase of use: experience our improved intuitive interface and powerful, yet simple, toolsFree: benefit from one month MandrakeClub membership !Price : $ 39 B) Bruno

I broke down and ordered mine. Of course, I plan to have the first three CDs downloaded and installed long before that but it will be nice to have everything. B) The club discount almost equalled out to the shipping and handling.

O sure I will be downloading and installing the final as well, to replace the RC2. . . . but will only replace the 9.1 I work with on a daily basis with the Power Pack the day it comes in . . . Well done Julia ! :) Wise decision . . . B):) Bruno

It looks like the new release will only be on bittorrent initially. The Mandrake Club page is now giving downloads and directions on it.

The purpose is to build a FAQ to learn and test BitTorrent so when the ISO will be available everything will work smoothly.
Aaarg :'( Do I mess with that or just wait for my pretty new copy to come in the mail or when it is posted on a mirror. I am not a bittorent fan. :'(

JuliaI haven't had good results with Bit torrent..)it's probably me..but I'll just wait..Then again that pre-order deal is looking pretty good :'(

I just don't want to share my bandwidth. When I look at the speeds folks talk about getting aorund here I get jealous. :'( I usually download at about half the speed of others on DSL or cable. It must be where I live. I know they have different speed settings at different prices here and I am too tight to pay an extra $40 a month to go up a setting. Maybe things have changed now. I will have to investigate. I did pre-order. I've used Mandrake enough now that I feel comfortable ordering just to support Mandrake. :'(

My problem hasn't been sharing bandwith..mostly bad downloads...I have yet to have a good d/l through bit torrent...Charter up'd BW by 500MPS last week..so I'm topping 240 kps now on some servers..( heck didn't know it happened until lastnight, havent been home much...it's proposal season :w00t: Did I mention I hate new FY's :'( )...

Proposal season? If I did not know better and know that FY is fiscal year I would think you were getting married again. Gee I thought you already had a wife around the house. :'( That sounds like the make or break for contractors - keeping the job secure. Get that done right and the forum and downloads can wait. :w00t:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...Yes have the wife and I've done again enough times :'( )...This year is pretty strange (Thank you Isabel)...seems everyone is asking for submission extensions and working weekends( at least I'm not alone) :w00t:

The Club members are testing the torrent test file today. . . . . . many of them ( to many ) have problems with the torrent, they are trying to help/educate them, but my prediction is that a day after the torrent ISO´s, normal ISO´s will be available for Club members. I guess this weekend might be the first "real" torrent download start, and Monday or Tuesday the ISO´s will go up on a password protected ftp. :rolleyes: BrunoPS: I will not do the torrent and wait for normal ISO´s

The Club members are testing the torrent test file today. . . . . . many of them ( to many ) have problems with the torrent, they are trying to help/educate them, but my prediction is that a day after the torrent ISO´s, normal ISO´s will be available for Club members. I guess this weekend might be the first "real" torrent download start, and Monday or Tuesday the ISO´s will go up on a password protected ftp. :whistling: BrunoPS: I will not do the torrent and wait for normal ISO´s
Bruno, thanks for the update. What I've read about bittorrent makes me want to stay away from it. Basically, allowing access to your computer to strangers doesn't sound good to me. I'll wait for the FTP ISOs, too. :ermm: Ken