Program for finding Duplicate files?

beeTee

Since we have a digital camera since Christmas 2002, the size of my folders for my daughters picturs have grown in a huge way. Especially since I started using Irfanview to batch reduce. Sometimes I reduce them for email, reduce pictures of other kids )which is annoying. "can you send me the pictures of my kid you took today" yeah, no problem, there's only 20 to crop, reduce and get them to an emailable size..... but that's another story......so there's lots of disc space being used by redunant files. This is also an issue for doing BU's I am always annoyed by burning 100 MB of other peoples kids. So I'd like to be able to run a program that will find all files under a directory, so I can delete the redunt ones.what do you use??

I'm not sure you have dupes. :thumbsup: You have originals plus numerous files that you have "crop, reduce and get them to an emailable size". Obviously all the manipulated images can be deleted but you might have better luck finding them if you search for JPGs and sort the resulting hits by size. The smaller ones can be deleted.In the future you could have IrfanView put all images that you manipulate into a "temp" folder under My Pictures and then periodically purge it. :thumbsup:

EdP Posted on Jan 9 2004, 09:30 AM-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm not sure you have dupes.  You have originals plus numerous files that you have "crop, reduce and get them to an emailable size". Obviously all the manipulated images can be deleted but you might have better luck finding them if you search for JPGs and sort the resulting hits by size. The smaller ones can be deleted.
I agree with Ed on this method. Simple, and no need for (yet another) third party software.

Obviously all the manipulated images can be deleted but you might have better luck finding them if you search for JPGs and sort the resulting hits by size. The smaller ones can be deleted.
Thanks, but this was the technique I was trying to get away from. There were almost 1000 files from June through December. (haven't taken any yet this year :ph34r: ). It is not only about finding images that have been modified (I usually save them to a /email/ folder somewhere. Since I did a lot of experimenting (and mistakes) I ended up with the exact files in different places too.I tried out the Easy cleaner program that WebbPA posted, and though I wouldn't trust it to do registry work, it certainly has it's merits at this task!! <_< and I think you meant sorting by name, then using size to determine which one was manipulated. :ph34r:

BeeTee -- I use ToniArts EasyCleaner as a registry cleaner tool and prefer it over the other programs discussed in another thread. Fred Langa has recommended Easy Cleaner.

I guess I shoud clarify..... If I used windows more often, I would've looked into it further. but I usually only use it to work with my .jpg's, on-line banking. the rest of the time I'm trying to learn more about linux, so I don't really pay much attention to my windows except for keeping the virus definitions up to date, adaware. windows update (hmmnnnn: been a while since I've been there!) I found a bug in the duplicate file searcher in Easy Cleaner.... it shows me 2 files, one in the "normal" directory and one in the "email" directory, both nearly the same size:email -- 789,861,814 explorer size: 56 kbjuli -- 786,123,965 explorer size: 798 kbI thought, with a bug like that, I don't know if I would trust that software to be playing around with the registry. maybe I do a restart and try it again. stranger things have happened!!

What you need is good photo organizer, album software.On linux you have couple of solutions, my favorite is Gthumb.It organizes your photos into albums and collections, you can assign any keywords or groups to certain images and all in all it is just easier to live with it.Me having thousands and thousands of photos taken with my digi camera would be lost without such software.I don't care what names are of the photos , I don't care in what folder they are located, the software create database and you can search your own photos by date, keyword, name, etc...On windows I tried Photoshop Album and it was beast with features.Keep in mind that we are talking about digital images which from any deceint camera should have EXIF data in every one.Every time you open, resize and do whatever with your images, EXIF data is lost when you save it back.Therefore keep your originals like suggested from these fine people as you might need it some day ;)

Keep in mind that we are talking about digital images which from any deceint camera should have EXIF data in every one.Every time you open, resize and do whatever with your images, EXIF data is lost when you save it back.
Not always so about losing EXIF info. If you just do a standard save on top of the original then yes, you will lose the EXIF info. However, I use a program called Polyview for graphic tasks Polyview link. I did a test by making some modifications to a digital photo. Then I used the EXPORT function to save it. The EXIF info is still there, but of course, would not be accurate because of the modifications made. Polyview is a great program, through not freeware. The author is very responsive to questions.As for the original question about duplicate photos, in any standard file system, all you have to work with are the file name and attributes like file size. These are rarely useful for finding duplicate graphics. I've wanted a program that did this myself and had heard that some were working on looking at the photos themselves and trying to catch dupes that way. So I did this search:http://www.google.com/search?q=find%20dupl...licate%20photosI got a bunch of hits and the first one (Dup Detector) is for a freeware program that claims able to do this task. I always try to find the author's page and get the software from there since often download sites have backlevel copies. I was correct and their is a later version at the author's page below (he also has some other very interesting shareware programs that look reasonably priced):http://www.prismaticsoftware.com/Utility/Utility.htmlI have downloaded it and will be testing it. There are a whole lot of other hits on Google that y'all can check through also. Let us know if you find any other good ones!

and I think you meant sorting by name, then using size to determine which one was manipulated.
No I didn't mean that since I didn't think (almost used that a**u*ed word :D ) the file names would be the same, especially if the manipulated files were in the same folder as the original. My view was to Search the whole hd for *.JPG files then sort the results of the Search by size. Anything and/or everything below a particular size could be deleted since the native image sizes would all be larger.If you know for certain that all the images are in a particular folder, ie My Documents, then you could just search it rather than the whole harddrive which would be faster.

Edp... sorry not to get back to you, life has shifted into hectic for the last few days. I see your point about sorting by size, but that would leave me too vulnerable to deleting other pictures that are small (in size) that I DON'T have a full blown 900 kb "master" of. mostly it's a problem of my past (lack of) technique to manage my pictures properly, mostly as a function of time. :blink: When I was limited to scanning pictures in, there was LOTS less of them, and I gave every picture a unique name, only scanned the good ones, so there wasn't all that many to deal with.I hope to find a linux solution to working with and managing my pictures, it would be nice if Irfanview was ported to linux. This issue is keeping me tied to my WIN2K OS, as well as Online banking, which will probably always be that way.

Generally, if you are downloading images from a camera, download them in one folder. That way any dupes will be noticed. If you format the card for the camera, then move all the files in the download folder by placing them in reasonable folder names such as trip, family, etc. When you get a lot of files in there, burn them to a CD. Then remove those from the hard drive. If you are using WinXP, they have a Power Toy that can change the images size on the spot. Be sure not to change the original file but make a copy of it. Mail the copies out and then delete them. The Power Toy puts one of those at the end of the file name, (Large), (Medium), (Small) or (Custom). Those are good indicators for temp files. That's what I do.

Edp... sorry not to get back to you,
Not a problem beeTee.BTW in scanning thru this thread I saw your prior comment,
I found a bug in the duplicate file searcher in Easy Cleaner.... it shows me 2 files, one in the "normal" directory and one in the "email" directory, both nearly the same size:email -- 789,861,814 explorer size: 56 kbjuli -- 786,123,965 explorer size: 798 kb
I've never used Easy Cleaner so I don't know how it selects files to be listed but I don't see 56 kb as being "nearly the same size" as a 798 kb file. :huh: :ermm:

Guest LilBambi

Yeah, DupeLocater was listed on the Tiny Apps page posted earlier too. Sounded really good there too.

Search thousands of files in a matter of seconds. Files are considered duplicates only if their entire contents are identical, bit for bit. All other attributes (file names, dates, etc) are ignored.
Just open Explorer and drag and drop the folder(s) you want to search for dupes and it find them and auto highlights the dupes for you ... check 'em over and can delete any that need deleting. Very cool program and only files with identical content bit for bit regardless of name are found and highlighted. Sweet!

Yeah, DupeLocater was listed on the Tiny Apps page posted earlier too. Sounded really good there too.
:) Spotted that after I posted. I had about 1700 songs on my computer when I decided to wipe, re-partition and reinstall everything. Some of the music was backed up on the other networked comp, and some on CDs. But when I restored there were nearly 100 too many songs due to renaming. :) DupeLocater found all of them in seconds! :)