Linux DAW & Recording

Hedon James

Directed specifically to Sunrat & SecurityBreach, but I don't want to assume others won't have ideas/solutions.

Background - I've repurposed an older Dell Vostro dual core as a dedicated DAW workstation, although I primarily just use Ardour. Actually, I'm a former Cubase user on WinXP, but I'm trying to switch over to OSS offerings and Ardour certainly seems capable. I used a Lexicon Omega for input to the Cubase software and the Omega seems to work perfectly fine with Linux and Ardour. But it's almost 15 years old and the indicator lights on the face are always on, and provide false visual readings. I've looked into having it serviced, but service costs more than the original purchase, and Lexicon doesn't make Omegas anymore. Realizing it's just a matter of time, I've done my homework and settled on a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. Confirmed to "just work" with Linux and getting rave reviews from those that own one. Besides looking quite sexy in its brushed red aluminum casing, it's built like a tank...I could throw this against the wall in a fit of frustration and only end up with a drywall repair. :devil:

I've finally hooked it up and it does seem to work with Linux and Ardour, but I don't have 4 simultaneous inputs, like with the Omega, only 2. Reading the fine manual, it appears that the internal routing is changeable by installing the Focusrite Control software....proprietary and for Windows ONLY. No problem, install it in my Windows VM and use the hardware/software just like I do with the Omega and Cubase in my Windows VM. That combo works just fine once I "capture" the Omega in the VirtualBox VM. I've done the same with iPods & iTunes, Zunes and Zune Music Manager, etc... But I CANNOT get the Focusrite Control software to "see" the device. Drivers are installed with the Focusrite Software...Windows "sees" the device, and the Focusrite hardware is listed in the device manager and in sound settings. I have tried different USB ports, uninstalling, re-installing, and re-initializing...all with the same result. I've duplicated these actions in a Win7 AND a Win10 machine in an attempt to isolate differences there. No satisfaction...Focusrite Control STILL reports "no hardware found". I have no "native" Windows installs in my house, so I borrowed a friends laptop with Win10 and installed Focusrite Control and drivers and...TADA...everything works as Focusrite advertises it should. I can only conclude this is an issue with the proprietary Focusrite Control software and the way it responds in a VM.

Sunrat - Have you ever experienced anything like this? I bought the Focusrite 6 months ago, but due to my planned move, I just left it in the box until now, secure in the knowledge that it "just works" in Linux. I learned a LONG time ago that sometimes the solution to Linux problems is different hardware...but now that I'm into a $250 piece of hardware beyond the exchange/refund deadline, I'd like to figure out how to cope. Any similar experiences, and how did you resolve?

SB - Assuming my issue is indeed related somehow to the way the Focusrite drivers react with VirtualBox VMs, perhaps a "bare metal" Virtual Machine is the way to go? I seem to remember you mentioning that your VMs are bare metal installations (Qemu?), but I don't know anything about that. What are your thoughts? Worth pursuing or likely to end up in the same place as my current VirtualBox situation, for reasons I don't understand yet? If worthwhile, how about a quick primer on "bare metal" VM installations? Or perhaps a HowToForge tutorial?

Any thoughts or advice from anyone not named Sunrat or SecurityBreach will also be considered, BTW! Thanks in advance!

securitybreach

Well I hate to say it but I have not heard of or know anything about Focusrite. As far as VMs go, these may help

https://mudongliang.github.io/2017/09/27/how-to-install-qemu-kvm-qemu-kvm-and-gui-virt-manager-in-ubuntu.html

Have you tried installing a windows vm to see if the hardware shows up? I did find this thread (look at page 2 and 3): https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15810&sid=80d270ec0944163fb1c503a6cd5e1874&start=15

https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?t=17108

It looks like it is possible to get the Focusrite working on linux (ubuntu): https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/SupportedHardware#USB

To clarify, the Focusrite is USB standard-compliant (whatever that means) and it DOES work with Linux. However, it is advertised to have 4 simultaneous inputs, but I'm only seeing 2 in ardour. The manual seems to suggest that I need to reconfigure the internal routing for 4 simultaneous inputs. This is what the proprietary windows-only Focusrite Control is for.

I do have it installed in a Win7 and a Win10 Virtual box VM. See above...

Edited by Hedon James
  • Like 1

Reported to work well. Apparently, as you noted, you need to boot Windows and set 'route audio directly' in Focusrite Control. Then it should work in Linux.

https://community.ardour.org/node/14390

There is also an Ardour mailing list that can be really helpful.

I only have an ancient, as in bought 2nd hand 14 years ago, M-Audio Audiophile 2496 with a separate Soundcraft mixer. Still works great. ;)

• Like 1

Hmmmm...good find Sunrat! Looks like I can borrow the laptop and use Focusrite Control to "route audio directly", and settings will persist until/unless I need them changed again. I don't know what I don't know, yet, but that sounds like it would work for me?! Gotta start somewhere right?

SB...a question re: KVM/qemu VMs...since the virtualization is "bare metal", what are the rules for hardware sharing? For instance, in VB one cannot allocate more than 50% of RAM to guest or the host becomes unstable...a "top heavy" stack that crashes. And video memory is typically capped at 128mb, but can be maxed to 256mb with the proper combo of selections.

Does KVM care about RAM allocation? If it's a bare metal VM then I assume it's side-by-side with main OS and not a vertical stack? In my 32GB system RAM, could I allocate 20GB to my VM and leave only 12GB to my native primary OS? (Making sure not to exceed physical RAM).

With respect to video memory, i setup my daughter with a Win10 virtual box VM on her Ubuntu machine. While her professor is quite impressed that she uses Linux and GIMP proficiently, her DigiCom/Graphic Design coursework requires her to use the Adobe suite, which necessitates Windows. A Win10 VM was sufficient to accommodate her underclassman coursework, but her upperclassmen assignments are much more challenging and require much more RAM and CPUs. Adobe recommends a 512mb video men but virtual box maxes out at 256mb, rendering her Win10 VM crippled and often useless. Would a KVM bare metal VM allow her to skirt that issue and access the 512mb she needs...or even 1024mb to speed up her graphic rendering?

Color me intrigued to learn more!

securitybreach

Well, you still have to allocate cpu cores and ram to the VM. Also, certain things like your GPU will not be "bare metal" unless you do GPU passthrough:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

https://medium.com/@dubistkomisch/gaming-on-arch-linux-and-windows-10-with-vfio-iommu-gpu-passthrough-7c395dde5c2

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2320369

https://github.com/gmasse/gpu-pci-passthrough

it is possible but does look a bit involved. It would be a neat project to try out. Currently I do not have any window's vms to test it on but I could install and test if you want me to.

It looks like a 2nd GPU is required. Not gonna happen in her laptop. We've been talking about building her a beast of a desktop workstation with Windows.

Her chosen field will REQUIRE the use of Adobe products, only available on Windows and OSX platforms. Drawing on her experience of converting her iTunes puchases to remove DRM and move to other devices, she's no fan of Apple's vendor lock-in policies. Apparently she was paying attention?! That's my girl!

securitybreach

It looks like a 2nd GPU is required. Not gonna happen in her laptop. We've been talking about building her a beast of a desktop workstation with Windows.

You sure as I do not remember you needing two or them?

I'd be dual booting to run heavy duty programs like Adobe. Occasionally I do recordings at work and boot into Windows to run Reaper or Waves Tracks Live. There are DAWs that run perfectly in Linux, but the Digico UB MADI interface we use doesn't have a Linux driver. And I'm not going to personally invest in 48 channels of interfaces just to use Linux. ;)

You sure as I do not remember you needing two or them?

I'm not sure, but that is what I gathered from reading links you provided. It looks like a GPU must be allocated, and I read about using an APU and a discrete GPU, which I interpreted as a requirement. If I'm wrong, it's still perhaps an option; but if it's a requirement, her computer is a laptop and a 2nd GPU isn't gonna happen.

I'd be dual booting to run heavy duty programs like Adobe. Occasionally I do recordings at work and boot into Windows to run Reaper or Waves Tracks Live. There are DAWs that run perfectly in Linux, but the Digico UB MADI interface we use doesn't have a Linux driver. And I'm not going to personally invest in 48 channels of interfaces just to use Linux. ;)

That's what she's doing now, but she hates dual-booting. She's heavily invested in the Linux ecosystem and Linux softwares, so she spends a LOT of time in the Ubuntu OS and utilized her Win VM as needed, like any other piece of software. But as projects have increased in scope and complexity, computing requirements have increased commensurately. She's got a fairly well-specced Gateway quad-core laptop with 16GB of RAM. Overkill for Ubuntu, plenty for allocation between host and VM, but that video memory cap of 256MB is KILLING her system. Smaller projects didn't matter, but now she's constantly bumping the ceiling. I've been holding out hope that VirtualBox will advance that feature to a 512MB cap, but hope isn't a workable strategy. It's a real PITA for her to shut down Linux, boot up Windows from the GRUB menu, then wait for Windows to gyrate through all its shenanigans, including Windows updates, before she can do anything meaningful in Adobe. Flashbacks to my early years of dual-booting and how much I grew to dread the wasted time switching back and forth, until I discovered the nirvana of VirtualBox. She IS her father's daughter!

I have built my own Frankenbeast desktops and they are Hulks for general office use...e-mail, web browsing, word documents, spreadsheets, graphics conversions, etc... It was her idea/request for me to build her a Frankenbeast desktop for use as an Adobe workstation. That's probably the correct long-term solution, for HER, but I'm still looking to supplement her laptop functionality. She wants to continue using Linux as her primary OS; she notes that GIMP is very stable and reliable on Linux, but sometimes buggy and crashes on Windows...leading her to conclude that Linux is more robust, solid, and stable. She's right, BTW, but Adobe is a requirement for nearly all professionals in her chosen field, which means Windows is a requirement.

That sucks, but no different than architects/engineers/draftsmen who must use AutoCAD, or recording professionals who must use either ProTools or Cubase, or real estate appraisers who must use WinTotal or ACI or Bradford, or even most folks who are required by their work to use Microsoft Office and/our Outlook. All required by their industries, and all only available on Windows. So it makes sense to me for her to have a Windows desktop for use as a dedicated Adobe workstation. Just looking to supplement that with her current laptop setup.

Windows updates are the worst in Win10. I turned mine off after a bad experience. but probably am way behind so need to turn it on temporarily to catch up. Only been booting it about once a month lately.

• 11 months later...

Directed specifically to Sunrat & SecurityBreach, but I don't want to assume others won't have ideas/solutions.

Background - I've repurposed an older Dell Vostro dual core as a dedicated DAW workstation, although I primarily just use Ardour. Actually, I'm a former Cubase user on WinXP, but I'm trying to switch over to OSS offerings and Ardour certainly seems capable. I used a Lexicon Omega for input to the Cubase software and the Omega seems to work perfectly fine with Linux and Ardour. But it's almost 15 years old and the indicator lights on the face are always on, and provide false visual readings. I've looked into having it serviced, but service costs more than the original purchase, and Lexicon doesn't make Omegas anymore. Realizing it's just a matter of time, I've done my homework and settled on a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. Confirmed to "just work" with Linux and getting rave reviews from those that own one. Besides looking quite sexy in its brushed red aluminum casing, it's built like a tank...I could throw this against the wall in a fit of frustration and only end up with a drywall repair. devil.gif

I've finally hooked it up and it does seem to work with Linux and Ardour, but I don't have 4 simultaneous inputs, like with the Omega, only 2. Reading the fine manual, it appears that the internal routing is changeable by installing the Focusrite Control software....proprietary and for Windows ONLY. No problem, install it in my Windows VM and use the hardware/software just like I do with the Omega and Cubase in my Windows VM. That combo works just fine once I "capture" the Omega in the VirtualBox VM. I've done the same with iPods & iTunes, Zunes and Zune Music Manager, etc... But I CANNOT get the Focusrite Control software to "see" the device. Drivers are installed with the Focusrite Software...Windows "sees" the device, and the Focusrite hardware is listed in the device manager and in sound settings. I have tried different USB ports, uninstalling, re-installing, and re-initializing...all with the same result. I've duplicated these actions in a Win7 AND a Win10 machine in an attempt to isolate differences there. No satisfaction...Focusrite Control STILL reports "no hardware found". I have no "native" Windows installs in my house, so I borrowed a friends laptop with Win10 and installed Focusrite Control and drivers and...TADA...everything works as Focusrite advertises it should. I can only conclude this is an issue with the proprietary Focusrite Control software and the way it responds in a VM.

Sunrat - Have you ever experienced anything like this? I bought the Focusrite 6 months ago, but due to my planned move, I just left it in the box until now, secure in the knowledge that it "just works" in Linux. I learned a LONG time ago that sometimes the solution to Linux problems is different hardware...but now that I'm into a $250 piece of hardware beyond the exchange/refund deadline, I'd like to figure out how to cope. Any similar experiences, and how did you resolve?

SB - Assuming my issue is indeed related somehow to the way the Focusrite drivers react with VirtualBox VMs, perhaps a "bare metal" Virtual Machine is the way to go? I seem to remember you mentioning that your VMs are bare metal installations (Qemu?), but I don't know anything about that. What are your thoughts? Worth pursuing or likely to end up in the same place as my current VirtualBox situation, for reasons I don't understand yet? If worthwhile, how about a quick primer on "bare metal" VM installations? Or perhaps a HowToForge tutorial?

Any thoughts or advice from anyone not named Sunrat or SecurityBreach will also be considered, BTW! Thanks in advance!

Looks like this thread veered off into a VM discussion, so I wanted to circle back to the Focusrite Scarlett discussion, share some additional learnings, and wrap that up for anyone else who might walk that path in the future.

Focusrite Scarletts do indeed "just work" in Linux. However, while 1st Gen devices are basically plug-n-play, 2nd Gen devices introduced the Focusrite Control software, effectively re-routing the box's internal circuits (think of it as a closed box mini-mixer). Guess which version I have...yep, 2nd Gen. Unfortunately, the Focusrite Control software only works in Windows, and ONLY Windows. I bought a cheap 12" laptop for the sole purpose of having a native Windows box in the house...installed Focusrite Control, and re-routed the Scarlett 6i6 (6 inputs, 6 outputs) as "direct pass through". Focusrite settings are persistent between on-off start cycles, so it will remain direct until I physically change it.

Moved the Scarlett over to the Linux DAW and still had issues with crashes and xruns (audio errors). Long story short, after MUCH tinkering, learned that I needed to switch sound cards within Cadence, as I had always done, but also needed to switch the number of input channels to 6, and output channels to 6. After that, I was able to adjust sample rates & buffers to achieve a 5.8ms latency with ZERO xruns! AMAZING! Recorded a few test tracks so I could play with Ardour, test different settings to figure out how to achieve "unity gain", and learned that the signal and clarity of the Scarlett products is so far beyond what I was used to with the now-defunct Omega. These external sound card/boxes have come a LONG WAY in the past 15 years.

Despite being EXTREMELY pleased with the sound quality of the Scarlett, I often switch back to the onboard sound card after I've recorded tracks and rough-mixed in sound monitors, as my DAW is also an input of my home stereo, which is fed through my Studio PA system. Switching back and forth often "freezes" my system, as I was forgetting to switch Cadence back from the "6 channels" for the Scarlett, to the "2 channels" for the onboard. It's my fault...human error...but how many times can you stub your toe before you move the furniture out of the walk path? So, despite my having solved the Scarlett issue(s), my frustration led me to discover the Behringer U-phoria sound cards, which are advertised to work in Windows and OSX with "no device drivers necessary". That usually means it works in Linux also, and sure enough, it does. In order to avoid the Scarlett input/output issues, I made sure to buy a 2 simultaneous input/output card (settled on the UMC202HD card), plugged it in and was recording within minutes with no additional tweaking/setup, other than selecting the card in Cadence. And it was a STEAL at $85 on Amazon! This devices suits me perfectly, as most of my recording is just me...1 track at a time; although lately I've been collaborating with another guitar buddy that I've re-connected with after 30 years of losing track. When he's here, we use both tracks. The Behringer UMC202HD is perfect for that.

I'll keep the Scarlett for other projects in the future....perhaps "live tracking" a band in my studio. Even though the Scarlett 6i6 is a "6 input/output" device, 2 of the inputs are MIDI, which I know NOTHING about and have never needed to know about. To me, it's effectively a 4-input device, and I can live-track a 4-piece band in my home studio with that. I'm not planning on it, but I like future-proof solutions, so I could if I wanted to.

So what did we learn about hardware selection for Linux musicians? Focusrite is manufactured by a German company called Novation, with multiple lines of audio card products...Solo, Saffire, Scarlett, etc... I can't see inside the box, but the exterior just screams quality build...brushed anodized aluminum chassis, metal knobs, and clarity of sound that suggests high quality potentiometers & electronics inside. But Linux users should stick to Gen1 devices, as the control software works with Wine! If you only require 2 inputs/output, you can use the Gen2 Scarlett, as internal routing becomes a non-issue with only 2 channels. Or if you have a dedicated DAW that won't require frequent switching of soundcards, allowing human error to put a damper on your sonic experience. Anything beyond that, and you should be a Windows user.

OR, you can buy a Behringer product (ironically, also supposedly a German company). A simple visual examination of the exterior components will reveal it is NOT the same quality as the Focusrite devices. Behringer is not "cheap junk", but is more typical of alternatives, with molded plastic chassis, knobs, etc... If I was looking for a sturdy "road device", the Focusrite is obviously a better choice. But for my home studio, the Behringer is certainly acceptable. If the Focusrite has a better sound quality than the Behringer, I can't hear it. And the Focusrite was almost $250, while the Behringer was $85 (although it's not a fair comparison, as the Focusrite is a 6-channel machine, while the Behringer is a 2-channel; however, the Behringer UMC404HD is a 4-channel machine that I think IS a fair comparison, still around $100....less than half the price of the Focusrite).

None of this is meant to bash Focusrite, or to say that Behringer>Focusrite. Simply stating, as is usually the case with us Linux users, choose your hardware wisely based on your intended use-case scenarios. For me, Behringer accomodated my existing workflows and habits, but might not be a good fit for a semi-pro like sunrat. Conversely, the Focusrite Scarlett is clearly a superior device, with a price tag to match, but is overkill for me in all but the most extreme of my user-case scenarios. And of course, there are other cards out there that are reported to work wonderfully in Linux, such as M-Audio, PreSonus, and some others that I have forgotten. But for me, personally, it's gonna be very hard to beat the "bang for my buck" that Behringer provides. I hope this is helpful to the next guy on the internet who is looking for these types of solutions, but has no one to look to for mentoring and has to figure it out himself. Start here...it's more than I had...and good luck! B)

• Like 1

securitybreach

Well that was completely over my head, I just play mp3s or stream my music... ;)

As far as windows is concerned, why not just run a VM with usb pass-through?

Sorry, I slipped.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Hedon James

Bringing this LInux DAW & Recording thread back to the DAW & Recording portion, I've been getting acclimated with new recording hardware and Ardour software on Linux, having migrated from Windows, Cubase LE, and Lexicon Omega. Through my usual trial & error methodology, I've been able to figure out how to do most of what I want to do, until I learned from Sunrat that there's a whole 'nother process when you're done recording?!

I've been pretty happy with the results, as I don't aspire to fame & fortune. No one is gonna hear this music except me, the folks who help make it, and anyone I share it with, or who stumbles onto it. But I do want it to sound the best I can make it be. So I sent a sample to Sunrat that I thought was mostly done...as far as I could do it...and asked for a critique and some pointers. Sunrat re-mixed and mastered(?) the track, and I was BLOWN AWAY. He even showed me what he did, but I still haven't fully digested all of it. It's gonna take some time, and I work a LOT, so even more time than most folks...

But I wanted to publicly acknowledge the PROFESSIONAL advice I got from Sunrat. 2 guys on the internet, members of the same forum, living on opposite ends of the planet...but with a shared interest in linux OS, open source ecosystems, and rock music. We've never met in person, but if we ever do, I owe you a beer (or 24)! Until then, can't thank you enough for your guidance and hope I can pick your brain some more after I've digested what you've already shared.

In the meantime, I'd like to share what we helped me with. An original riff brought to me by a guitar buddy that we eventually worked into a full-blown song. Slow sledding...one track at a time...nearly everything is me, except for 1 guitar track and the lead guitar track. Sonic polish provided by Sunrat! It's not everyone's cup of tea, but for those who like tea, enjoy! (hoping VT chimes in, as I think he'll enjoy it!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/llm4aqf9mvosrza/Ride%20The%20Moment_r4.mp3?dl=0

Edited by Hedon James

Hedon James

If anyone likes the linked tune, here's some other original creations that I've posted on my ReverbNation site. Again, no aspirations of fame & fortune, just using it as a file-sharing service for anyone who ever asks "where can I listen to your music?" Here you go, help yourself:

• Like 2

Thanks, @Hedon James. In no way am I actually professional at this stuff, still learning. :)

I hear some serious degradation from the re-encoding to mp3 from the original ogg vorbis though.

securitybreach

If anyone likes the linked tune, here's some other original creations that I've posted on my ReverbNation site. Again, no aspirations of fame & fortune, just using it as a file-sharing service for anyone who ever asks "where can I listen to your music?" Here you go, help yourself:

https://www.reverbna...om/hedonmachine

The guitar riffs on the songs are great!!

Hedon James

Thanks, @Hedon James. In no way am I actually professional at this stuff, still learning. :)

I hear some serious degradation from the re-encoding to mp3 from the original ogg vorbis though.

You may be still learning, but isn't that the point? I may not know HOW to do it, but i know when i hear it...you're a professional! Agreed on the ogg>mp3 conversion. But Dropbox won't allow ogg share...download only. I don't want to force downloads to listen. But ogg does sound better!

I sent Hedon James an mp3 version to upload which he replaced in the above link. It sounds better than the re-encoded version so listen again if you liked the song. It's not really my regular style of music to mix, although I do a wide range at the live concerts where I work.

Here's something totally different I recorded at a show a few years back and just dug it out to remix:

Hedon James

Good jam! I like it. It has a serious 70's Rock & Roll flavor to it. :)

Bookmark'd for further listening later this evening! :)

I'll accept that 70s compliment! :D Lenny Kravitz is one of my favorite artists, specifically for his retro-70s style. Although my style is probably a little more Lenny Kravitz on 'roids?! :hysterical:

Here's something totally different I recorded at a show a few years back and just dug it out to remix:

https://soundcloud.c...i-drink/s-scKsK

Has anyone listened to this? I'm wondering if my settings on Soundcloud allow access as it's the first time I ever uploaded a track.

Gold star prize if you guess the mystery artist! ;)

Hedon James

I listened to it. Country tune. But haven't a clue who the mystery artist might be. Country is so far out of my wheelhouse that I can't even venture a guess. If they weren't on Hee-Haw TV, I don't even know names!

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Sunrat said:

> Gold star prize if you guess the mystery artist!
;)

I'd have to guess (and cheat using search) that we're talking about Dale Watson here. :)

Hedon said:

> Country is so far out of my wheelhouse that I can't even venture a guess.

Same situation for me.

That's actually not a bad song. I'd like to hear a Heavy Metal version of it, though. ;)

Gold star awarded to Eric! :star: Dale Watson writes some great songs often funny as h***. He is from Texas of course.

I'm glad you could play it from Soundcloud as it's my first upload and didn't make it public. It was fun to remix it and the show was great on the night, with 300 people singing along to the chorus. :)