The entertainment industry's plan

Lover of quiet computers

Lover of quiet computers
The record industry's options for fighting illegal music downloads from the Internet include some that may be illegal, such as attacking personal Internet connections to slow or halt the downloads, or the use of software called "freeze" that locks up a computer system for a certain minutes or hours and risks the loss of data, as well as software called "silence" that would scan a computer's hard drive for pirated music files and attempt to delete them, at the risk of deleting legitimate music files as well. Stanford Law School professor Lawrence Lessig, who specializes in Internet copyright issues, says: "Some of this stuff is going to be illegal. It depends on if they are doing a sufficient amount of damage. The law has ways to deal with copyright infringement. Freezing people's computers is not within the scope of the copyright laws."
(http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/04/business/04MUSI.html)It has circulated that the entertainment industry would like to directly compromise the PCs of people who share music without authorization.My question: Wouldn't proper use of antivirus software, firewall software, etc. prevent such attacks?

I think it should be illegal for them to use this tactic, PERIOD!!!! This is no different than someone stealing something from me, and me in return going to where they live and breaking all the windows in their house. Two crimes does not solve the problem. And our government better not give some huge corporate front the right to do so. It is sad to say, but in our society, a petty crime against a corporation is worse than committing a violent crime against an individual. End rant.

Lover of quiet computers

But illegal or not, wouldn't it be possible to protect oneself against it, anyway?

From what I have read so far, there seems to be two methods they are exploring/implementing. One being a program disguised as a audio file that will crash your system and delete "pirated files" from your system once it is downloaded. How do they know what is pirated and what is legally yours???? The question is, will the anti-virus companies do what is best for the consumer and block these programs and their variants, or will it side with the riaa and not release virus updates to stop it? They could stop it real easy, it is just a matter of if they will. The integrity of the anti-virus industry could very well be decided on this issue.The second method I have read about is basically a DoS (Denial of Service) attack. They are trying to say they are "choking" your internet connection. They can word it any way they want, but it is nothing more than a DoS attack. Period. Both are illegal, unless of course you line the pockets of a few choice politicians. It is a scary thing when our government puts the power of judge, jury and prosecutor into the hands of private businesses. All I got to say is, if you have evidence against me, take it to a prosecutor and present your case. This is nothing more than big business taking the law into their own hands.......and being allowed to do so by the government that is supposed to be protecting us and upholding our Constitution.

jbredmound

"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign...blocking ou the scenery and breaking my mind. Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign...blocking ou the scenery and breaking my mind. Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?
You know you are of the same generation when you read a post like this-----only in your mind it comes out a song! :D All this makes me wonder how they get through firewalls, etc. to find what is on your computer? Do you have to leave the door open for these programs? I guess part of why I have always bought my music is I did not want anyone to have access to my deep dark secrets--like my checking account balance.