KDE screen resolution change screwup

Specmon

I'm using pcLOS 0.93a, updated.Has KDE 3.5.5The native resolution on my KDE screen is stuck at 800x600. Now this size is fine with me, except that whenever a config window opens, the bottom where the "OK" and "Apply" or "Cancel" buttons are always off the bottom of the screen and I can't even close them half the time.So I'm trying to change the resolution of the KDE display to 1024 x 768 I guess it is. ( The pcLOS Control Center Hardware settings show that my screen resolution IS ALREADY set to 1024x768, but KDE displays at 800x600.So I keep trying to go into KDE Control Center>System>Size & Orientation to change the resolution. It only shows me two options, 800x600 and 1024x768, but the higher resolution doesn't "stick" I restart the session and KDE is back at 800x600 as is the setting in Size & Orientation. I then also checked the box in the Size & Orientation to "Apply at KDE restart" and the display "still" opens at 800x600 but the window is scrambled, the mouse is all over the window, and the task bar along the bottom is gone completely.So I need some help configuring this thing at the command line, so that the settings will stick, and return KDE to a useful form.I REALLY don't want to do a reinstall here.If I have to do things at run level 3 or something, make sure to explain how I get and stay there, as it is now set up to automatically start into my Logon and KDETIA :thumbsup:

Hi TomFirst question: did you reboot after the updates ?? If there is a new KDE in the updates you have to reboot.Next . . . here is what you will do: you boot in Runlevel 3 and once on the black screen in runlevel 3 you log in ad "root" . . . . next you Run XFdrake ( Do ALL sections of the XFdrake tool ! )Finally log out as root with "Ctrl+D", log in as "user" and type "startx" ( or simply type "reboot" ) . . . . and you should have the normal screen-resolution again.:thumbsup: Bruno

Thanks Bruno,Those were pretty easy to follow steps.(I haven't updated anyting in weeks, haven't seen that there were any This installation has been trouble free until today when I tried changing the resolution in the KDE control center)XFdrake already showed my display as 1024x768 and the "test" worked fine.But when I logged back in and started X, the display was the same as before: 800x600 and scrambled. What I see is the green fields background picture has the bottom 1/5 up top, so I see grass in the sky until I mouse over it, and the blue sky and tree branches part comes back out. I find that "parts" of the taskbar, ( the Start button and the show desktop button) are up there at the bottom middle of the "grass", the buttons "work," showing me a menu that is split in two across the page, the mouse disappears at the top and reappears at the bottom Basically, KDE is scrambled. :thumbsup: So what else can I try?

SpecmonHave you tried to configure your monitor..in PCC>>>hardware >>>>Configure basic Vid settings..or config monitor and check your monitor is set..then check the res again..

Bruno,I went back into XFdrake and changed the resolution there to 800x600 16bpp and KDE looks "normal" again.But while in XFdrake, I noticed that I kept getting this error message below the wizard about 915resolution and nvidia chipsets only possible with Intel 900/800 chipsets, or something to that effect. No intel in my house :thumbsup: and now that I've changed XFdrake to 800x600, I have several resolution options (all less than 800x600) in the Size & Orientation part of KDE control panel. Before, I had only two options: 1024x768 and 800x600.If I now try to reset XFdrake to 1024x768, X hangs and doesn't start. When I then kill X with Ctrl-Alt-Bksp I get a whole page of error messages, the last one before my prompt returns had to do with authority or lack or it in /home/specmon/.Xauthority, if that is any helpBoilertech:I guess I have Gnome installed, it was on the 0.93a disk and would have installed by default, wouldn't it? But with my system set to authmatically log into KDE, how would I log into Gnome? And what might we learn by my logging into Gnome?

Hey Barry,You're idea worked!! :)

Have you tried to configure your monitor..in PCC>>>hardware >>>>Configure basic Vid settings..or config monitor and check your monitor is set..then check the res again..
After I changed the Video card settings in PCC, still didn't work, but when I "then" also made the same change in the XFdrake wizard, the setting took, and I can now switch back and forth from 800x600 to 1024x768 in KDE Size & Orientation, restart the session and everything is kosher.Thanks for the help. :thumbsup: NOW! Second problem: I have Firefox 1.5.0.x, and when I try to watch a YouTube video, Firefox just shuts down. :) It is not happy about YouTube at all! What do I need, some codec or something?

:thumbup: Tom . . . . Glad the resolution problem is solved !Now the YouTube: I think it works on Flash . . . and maybe it needs Flash version 9 ( the beta one ).Could you type "about:plugins" in the addressbar of Firefox and have a look what version of flash you have ?B) Bruno

i simply await pclos in v.94.i tried to do the beta flash in ff 1.5, but many (but not all) flash sites crash ff.so... i wait for v.94
A very wise concept Temmu . . . . . just wait for the next release and don't mess whith what you have now :hmm: :hmm: Bruno