Slow internet connection at work

zillah

At work some time (not always) we have got slow internet access.How can we troubleshoot where is the problem ? Is it with network ? or from ISP ? because some times I am pretty sure that the problem on our network, while other times with ISPOur connection to internet through our PIX to ISP’s PIX .We have got ADSL Line with 2 Mbps, I can say 50 users use net simultaneously .Web based applications we are running: ASP.NET, DB2.Please see this :http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1446/in...nnectionpb9.jpg

Edited by zillah

Guest LilBambi

Is that 16K up normal for your area? Every website request, etc. has up stream requests that trigger or correspond to the pages, images, scripts, etc. on a webpage called.As Temmu says that's very small especially compared to the down stream pipe you have at work.Have you tried this test after hours when no one is trying to access to have a baseline to work with as to the 'actual' up and down stream you are receiving from the ISP?2Mbps ... is that down only or up and down? Most DSL types offer a larger downstream than upstream. Can you find out what your true paid for upstream pipe is supposed to be?Also, you say there are 50 users. All using at the same time? if you divide out a true 2Mbps up and down betwen 50 users, at peak usage times, that may not be enough to keep you all running smoothly?2048kb / 50 =40.96 concurrently for the 50 users. Not too bad if I am calculating correctly that is....But if that upstream pipe is say 128kb or 384kb, or even 512kb....you can see where that would come down quite a bit at peak usage times ...512 / 50 = 7.68kb per user at peak times (or would that be KB or Kb?) :lol:Anyway, 7.68 is approximately half of what the FatPipe was showing....if all were using concurrently and constantly requested and received data.Hope I am calculating this correctly.... maybe someone else would be able to confirm.I have to get ready to leave and may have done this too quickly.