convert wavpack files to mp3

ozgeek

I have downloaded some .wv audio files from the internet and want to convert them to MP3 so that I can play them using my existing media player. I'd appreciate some help with a programme that will do the conversion. thanks :thumbsup:

How about SoundKonverter?http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=29024

Description:soundKonverter is a frontend to various audio converters.It is extendable by plugins and supports many backends:-En-/decoding: oggenc/oggdec, lame, gogo, faac/faad, mppenc/mppdec, flac, mac, mplayer, ffmpeg, shorten, ofr, ofs, wavpack, lac, lpac, speexenc/speexdec, timidity-Replay Gain: vorbisgain, mp3gain, aacgain, replaygain (MusePack), metaflac-CD ripping: kio_audiocd, cdda2wav, cdparanoiaThis way you can convert between various audio formats:-Decoding: ogg, mp3, mp2, m4a/mp4, aac, 3gp, mpc/mp+, flac, ape, wma, asf/asx, ra, rv, rm, avi, mpeg, wmv, qt/mov, flv, ac3, au/snd, shn, ofr, ofs, wv, la, pac, spx, mid, mod/s3m/stm/ult/uni/xm/m15/mtm/669/it, wav-Encoding: ogg, mp3, mp2, m4a, aac, mpc, flac, ape, ra, ac3, au, shn, ofr, ofs, wv, la, pac, spx, wavsoundKonverter supports reading and writing tags for many formats, so the tags are preserved when converting files.The key features are:- Audio conversion- Replay Gain calculation- CD rippingsoundKonverter comes with an Amarok script that allows you to easily transcode files when transfering to your media device.
:thumbsup:

Hi Dale,Thanks for the links. I have already been to that site as a result of my googling. To be honest I don't understand what they are talking about. What I'm looking for is a programme that will just take my wavpack file and convert it.
While not a GUI program on the downloads page I linked to the has WavPack Win32 as the first dl. I downloaded it and the docs state:
WavPack consists of two complementary executable programs, WavPack and WvUnpack. These programs allow you to compress (and restore) audio files in the Microsoft .wav format. The audio files must be uncompressed PCM (not ADPCM, for example), but other than that there are few restrictions. The files may any resolution from 8 to 32 bits; they may be mono, stereo, or multichannel; they may even be ieee floating point data. The programs are full 32-bit executables and therefore must only be used under Windows (for real DOS applications or with Windows 3.1 use WavPack 3.4 instead). For version 4.31 an additional utility called WvGain was added to apply ReplayGain information to WavPack files. The programs are initiated from the MS-DOS command line prompt with the following syntax:WVUNPACK [-options] [@]infile[.wv]|- [[@]outfile[.wav]|outpath|-]
In other words you can extract it into the directory where you have the .wv files and use a wildcard to convert all of the files at once.There is a GUI Frontend available also.The advantage I see to this is that the tools are free. Once you convert the files to .wav you can use almost any audio tool you want.On the WavPack DLs page there are also plug-ins for WinAmp and Nero, if you already have one of those programs.