Mandrake 10 Update Questions

nlinecomputers

nlinecomputers

SMALL? Geez. It been out, what, 3 days. This is a release. Just call it cooker and be done with it. I know that this isn't supposed to be as stable as the "final" release but it can at lease be final enough to not look like a beta. B)The Mandrake 10 Update thread has been split in two so that we can keep the update thread just for updates. B)

Edited by teacher

LOL . . . so right Nathan !! . . . I have it installed on 2 computers, so had to get 800MB updates in a very buggy MCC that reacted extremely slow with selecting the updates . . . . ( after the updates the MCC reacts better, looks different, but still not as snappy as in 9.2, so I am expecting another update for that one B) )B) Bruno

I guess I better download the updates while I'm at it.I guess that's why all the mirrors are clogged, everyone is either downloading iso's or updating. B) Maybe I should just wait for the final release. They really should have made this an RC2. I guess more people test it if you call it a release. Perhaps the RC designation was meant to do that at one time.

Greg . . . nluug should give good speed . . I just posted the links in the other thread. The download speed of my updates from there were good !Still no Gimp 2.0 in Mandrake 10 B) B) . . very sad about that !Zox: you're absolutely right my friend !!B) Bruno

Bruno,Can you post a link to where the updates can be found?For those of us who need to download and burn to disc.All I can find is the one file. Perhaps the one file points to the actual updates?

Here it is Greg

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/Mandrake/Mandrake-devel/stable/i586/Mandrake/RPMS

I think you can easily fill a few CDs . . . B) :DB) Bruno

So, I guess I just need to download by date. I'll download anything newer than the install disks. I've found that to be 3/9/04 and on.I find it funny that there is an RPMS folder and a symbolic link called RPMS.cooker that is pointing to RPMS. I followed all links from the beginning and this is the resulting hard path to the folder:

ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/vol/1/Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS

So, the updates are coming from a cooker tree.

Edited by trigggl

nlinecomputers

Hey I was only joking about it being cooker. Obviously I was more intune with this then I realized. :unsure: Well so much for my using it until final release. I sure hope that it is stable at final. Past final realeases have been a bit scary. 9.2...I may jump whole hog into SuSE.

I must be dumb as a rock I paid for a test version of Mandrake 10??Even if it is a DVD version, stupidity ruled!!
Well, you have the beginning of the final release, but I'm not sure how much will be left after all the updates.You may need to buy a DVD for updates. :unsure:

linuxdude32

It's my understanding that with their new development roadmap, the Community Edition essentially is Cooker, which explains the gazillion updates:

The spirit of the new development road map is to keep providing a release similar to what was released in the past, which will now be called "Mandrake Linux Community." This is the regular Mandrake Linux distribution, based on Cooker, which goes through the traditional QA process. But from now on, a second 'rock-solid' version titled "Mandrake Linux Official" will be released two or three months after Mandrake Linux Community. This new version will include all Erratas applied to the initial release, and as a result will be particularly solid and problem-free. The Community release will be ideal for those who want the 'latest and greatest' features as soon as available, while the second release will be perfect for those who prefer to wait and avoid any potential glitches.
Taken from Significant change in Mandrake Linux Development Processe.This is probably why so many people are having trouble with Mandrake 10, it's NOT the stable version. That comes later and will ONLY be available at a cost. The way they've explained this is confusing, but essentially, if you get it for free, you're going to get the bleeding edge stuff, things will break, and there will be much gnashing of teeth. It will probably result in the "Official" version being much more stable and reliable than in past releases much like SuSE already is.

That's right Jason . . . I'm thinking of making the updates a cron job . . twice a day . . . LOL . . . . . What are you guys on about ? B) there is only 100 - 200 MB updates a day . . and they are all bugfixes . . this is getting to be the best bug-hunted distro in ages . . . :lol: B) Bruno

I think I will pass for a while. You go ahead and make it a cron job and I will sit in PC Los and do my thing!Julia :lol:

linuxdude32
I'm  thinking of making the updates a cron job . . twice a day . . . LOL . . . . . 
Should I mention again that SuSE already has an automatic update tool? :lol: Yeah, it'll be a rock solid by the time the money version is out. I wonder if the development roadmap changed because of that kernel bug that wiped out cd-rom drives? B)

This is probably why so many people are having trouble with Mandrake 10, it's NOT the stable version. That comes later and will ONLY be available at a cost. The way they've explained this is confusing, but essentially, if you get it for free, you're going to get the bleeding edge stuff, things will break, and there will be much gnashing of teeth. It will probably result in the "Official" version being much more stable and reliable than in past releases much like SuSE already is.
Then why was I charged $69.00? I know how and have my own DVD burner!mike180 :thumbsdown: :angry2:

Then why was I charged $69.00? I know how and have my own DVD burner!
They charged you how much ??????? . . Where did you order it ? This is way over the top . . . I saw the DVD here advertised on a CD service site for $12 !!:thumbsdown: Bruno

linuxdude32
Then why was I charged $69.00?  I know how and have my own DVD burner!
Were you given support or manuals with it or was it just the DVD?Anyway, you will end up with the same product as the official release though minus the commercial stuff, it will just take you a couple of months of updates to get there.Think of it this way. The Mandrake Community Edition is to Mandrake Official Edition what Fedora Core is to Red Hat Enterprise Edition or Debian Unstable to Debian Testing.I do know what you're talking about though. I don't think they should be charging for beta editions but then again, they always have before, just nobody though of the first release of 9.2 as beta when clearly it was.

This is probably why so many people are having trouble with Mandrake 10, it's NOT the stable version. That comes later and will ONLY be available at a cost. The way they've explained this is confusing, but essentially, if you get it for free, you're going to get the bleeding edge stuff, things will break, and there will be much gnashing of teeth. It will probably result in the "Official" version being much more stable and reliable than in past releases much like SuSE already is.
I would think the "official" release would be available, also. If someone can download and update to it anyways, why charge? They will probably make it available after a delay just like they've been doing with everything else lately.Bruno or anyone who is up to date with the updates,Is it getting close to being usable yet? It looks like I'll have to plan when to install it and get the updates on a Saturday at work. Then I'll need to figure out what to back up on my 9.2 install. I'll probably just want to back up email. Drivers won't even be compatible with the kernel anymore as I recall. I'll need to download new ones. It may be fun to see what it takes to get the printer working again. :o :o :hug:

Hi Greg . . I am up to date with Drake 10 . . . Well, let's be fair and objective: Drake 10 is getting to be a great release, and still the only one with Kernel 2.6 and KDE 3.2 as default. And these 2 features are exactly where the problems have been. If you look in the long lists of updates that are there every two days, there is a new kdebase and kdelibs ( with all associated packages +100 MB ) to replace the previous ones. PCLos has exactly the same problem with KDE 3.2 and has new kdebase packages every 2 days too. ( And still has KDE-related problems today ) Slack went through the same motions with 3.2 and now waits till a more stable version makes updating worth while. So should we actually blame Mandrake . . . or KDE ? And the 2.6 kernel: some PCLos people are experimenting with 2.6 and having loads of issues, that is why there is no 2.6 in the updates for PCLos for the major public yet. So, Mandrake was brave, gave us the sensation of 2.6 ánd 3.2 . . . and is now getting our rants for issues that is not really their fault. So, let's be fair, us Drake lovers are spoiled people that always want the best and want it first. We dearly love The Drake and because of that we see every little scratch and dint. We want it to be strong and shiny, we want it to be The Best. That is why we permit ourselves to be critical and push the developers to great heights. Now your questions: -- Is it stable enough to be usable ?: Absolutely it is ! It is great, guaranteed, my word for it ! -- Should I install and update it now ?: You could indeed . . . but there will be more updates after. You could also wait till KDE 3.2 in not in the daily updates anymore and take the jump then. In any case even with the updates as they are available now you will have a smashing great OS. So, let's be fair, in a nutshell: Kernel 2.6 is great, period. KDE 3.2 is great as it is now, but has caused many updates and is still maturing. Mandrake 10.0 is great and will be absolutely sensational once the number of updates slow down ! No worries !! Greg . . . no worries . . look at the top 100 of Distrowatch, Drake is still number 1 and has doubled the numbers since last year . . . that should speak for itself :hug: I will pre-order the PowerPack of the final version the day it is announced. Sure thing ! ( And that is maybe the thing you should have wait for too, since you are on dial-up :o . . . . but nothing is lost, just update the version you have now . . I will send you the package of browser-plugins including java, and you will be very happy with The Drake 10.0 !! ) :o Bruno

I finally installed 10 today. After the 548 MB of updates, it works great. It seems to have found everything and so far I have not had any problems. Will play with it for a while. I must note that I was very hesitant to even install this one because the last two cookers gave me fits. The most recent one did not like my machine at all. Based on that experience I switched to using PC Los almost exclusively. I am happy to say that it found my connection, my hardware, and even picked out the correct kernel for my hyperthread CPU. I am sitting here very happy. :)Julia ;)

Yes it did. You had told me before to go ahead with it but I had such bad luck with the last two..... It just might be a keeper!Julia ;)

So, Mandrake was brave, gave us the sensation of 2.6 ánd 3.2 . . . and is now getting our rants for issues that is not really their fault. So, let's be fair, us Drake lovers are spoiled people that always want the best and want it first. We dearly love The Drake and because of that we see every little scratch and dint. We want it to be strong and shiny, we want it to be The Best. That is why we permit ourselves to be critical and push the developers to great heights.
And here I thought we just wanted it to blow Windows out of the water. I hear ya, we want this thing to be everything Windows is not while being just as fast, if not faster, stable, easy to use, and perfect out of the box, or ftp client, however we get it. We don't like our savior to have flaws. I guess that's the ultimate goal, but they didn't communicate well that this first release is in fact a cooker.I may install next weekend. It will give me time to think about what the needs are going to be and be properly prepared. I hope the old KDE files are being removed from the server as the replacements are being added to the servers. That will help cut down on the downloads. I have half a disc so far.

linuxdude32
I would think the "official" release would be available, also.  If someone can download and update to it anyways, why charge?  They will probably make it available after a delay just like they've been doing with everything else lately.
Yeah, you're right. They will be doing that, too. Why charge even for a beta? Because software costs money to make and Mandrake has huge liabilities to pay off over the next few years.
Is it getting close to being usable yet?
It's already more than usable for me. Like I mentioned in my first looks topic, it's better than 9.2 as far as I'm concerned. I'm using an older system and yet the 2.6 kernel made for a leap in performance.Of course, I am using the Final Official release of the Community Edition, not the RC releases that everybody else seemed to be playing with earlier. I should be clear here, what I mean by beta is that the Community Edition is preparation for the Official Edition released a couple of months later.I'm not saying it's crappy; I think it's pretty good. But if you're looking for stability over cutting edge, you're always better off waiting for the version that comes a little later. That doesn't just apply to Mandrake - that applies to virtually all software. Better to let everyone else fix the bugs unless you enjoy that sort of thing. :alien:

I just threw all my RC and beta disks in the trash. I had problems with the last two releases. This one (Community) installed fine. I immediately did the updates (548MB) which was not a problem with DSL. So far everything is great. I have tested email, Gaim, K-Sirc, Gkrellm, Evolution, Galeon, Konqueror, copied my files to home and set up my backgrounds, screensavers, and installed all my "gotta haves" without any hitches. This one might be a keeper. It compares with PC Los with the KDE 3.2 and the 2.6 is nice. It even set it up with the right kernel for the HT. Julia :alien: