I'm stuck!

zlim

I want to move my windows fonts from hda (win_c) to hdb1 and I don't know how. I can see win_c in /mnt but I know it isn't mounted. I looked around in PCC to see if I could figure out how to mount it but I couldn't.I also had a look in /dev/ide/hd the things have weird names c0b0t0u0, I'm guessing the mbr then another with p1 under it and when I look at properties it says hda but everything is 0 bites in size.I also checked groups figuring maybe I had to add myself to a group to share my windows files. $ groups resulted in audio video# groups only resulted in root which seemed strange.OTOH, I moved FF where I wanted it and I am now down to two updates left! 1 keeps giving me an error (dbus) so I'm not trying that one any longer. The other is Thunderbird at a hefty 25megs so I saved that for a single download. Then I will be up-to-date. Yeah!

Edited by zlim

Hi LizWhat format is your windows partition formatted ?? If it is FAT you should be able to mount it . . . . if it is NTFS there could be a problem . . . . ( but normally it should be mountable too )Can you show us the result of the next two commands:

# mount# cat /etc/fstab

:icon8: Bruno

Good idea. I forget about ntfs. A possibility would be to burn the files (the fonts folder) to a CD or put on a thumb drive to access.Personally, I have not installed the MS fonts for quite a while. I have found that I don't really miss them at all.

It is ntfs (2K). Julia and quint have the right idea. There are also a few jpgs I may wish to use as wallpaper so it may be easier to just put the stuff on a thumb drive. I will see if I can figure out how to install the fonts from the page quint gave. If that doesn't work, then I'll use a jump drive.It gives me an option to copy but then it won't paste anywhere.mount gave me /dev/hdb1 on / type reiserfs (rw,noatime,notail,notail)none on /proc type proc (rw)none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)none on /sys type sysfs (rw)for the second command# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details## Livecd-install automatically added by livecd-installnone /proc proc defaults 0 0none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0# fd 1440/dev/ft0 /mnt/floppy auto user,exec,rw,noauto,iocharset=iso 8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0# /dev/hda1, size=240091362, type=7: NTFS (primary) /dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c ntfs user,exec,ro,noauto,iocharset=iso 8859-1,# /dev/hdb1, size=16819992, type=131: Journalised FS: Reister FS (primary)/dev/hdb1 / reiserfs notail,noatime,notail,noatime 0 0# /dev/hdb5, size=1269072, type=130: Linux swap (extended)/dev/hdb5 swap swap defaults 0 0# cdrom: AOPEN COM5232/AAH PRO/dev/hdc mnt/cdrom auto user,exec,ro,noauto,iocharset=iso 8859-1,codepage=850 , unmask 0 0 0[root@localhost liz] # proc

Edited by zlim

I think it's time I figured out what to do with a tar.gzI know the correct command is tar xvfz something.tar.gzin my case the something is msttfonts.I downloaded msttfonts.tar.gz but then I don't know if I need to open a terminal to use the above command. I also tried opening it with ARK, which untarred it but then I didn't know what to do with it. I'm not finding any help within PCLos and most of the google hits for tar.gz don't give directions.After it is untarred, where does it go and where do I find my fonts folder to be able to put it in?I did try the directions on the site which said to apt-get install msttfontsbut that keeps telling me it can't find a package and I don't know how I can tell it where to look.I think I found what I need in the Tips for Linux Explorershttp://forums.scotsnewsletter.com/index.ph...=14&t=503&st=32I should know better than try to google and just search Bruno's pearls of wisdom! I'll learn (after a few hundred mistakes, I get with the program).ok, I discovered I had the wrong code so I used tar -xvzf msttcorefonts.tar.gzthen I gettar: msttcorefonts.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory it is sitting on my linux desktop and I can see ittar: Error is not recoverable: exiting nowtar: Child returned status 2tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

Edited by zlim

Liz, you may be confusing untarring with compiling tarred binaries (executable programs). Tarring is basically the same thing (just different format) as zipping. No different.Now you see the file on your desktop? Right-click it. In the menu that pops up, look for the option to "extract here". That will untar (unzip) the files to your desktop. Most likely (and most people in linux are good about this), you will get a folder on your desktop labeled somethinglike fonts or msfonts or some such foolishness. ;)Now, the problem you ran into is that you went to the comamnd line to untar the file, and that is fine. However, KDE has it built in, which you just discovered. When you were in the command line, you were most likely in /home/liz. The file you were trying to untar was in /home/liz/Desktop. When you are working on the command line, and you run into a "file not found" issue, always do a

pwd

command, so that you can see where you are. pwd stands for print working directory, which basically means where you are in the file system. It is much like being in D:\Backup\May and trying to unzip a file in C:\Test. If the file you are trying to manipulate is not in the directory that you are working in, you will not be able to manipulate the file without specifying the full path.For example, you are in

/home/liz

and you want to manipulate a file in

/backup/may

You will not be able to maniuplate that file unless you specify the full path (location) of the file.

$ pwd/home/liz$ tar -xvcf /backup/may/backup01.tar.gz

In the above example, I was able to untar the archive in /backup/may, but I had to specify the full path to that file, otherwise linux has no idea where you mean the file is that you are trying to manipulate.In the end, just remember that if you open a terminal window, you will default to the home folder (/home/liz). Any files on your desktop will be in /home/liz/Desktop.Hope this helps. :)Adam

I think it's time I figured out what to do with a tar.gzI know the correct command is tar xvfz something.tar.gzin my case the something is msttfonts.+++++++++++++Believe you can just open that with Konqueror-as-filemanager. That is, Konq will know how to unzip and un-tar the file, showing you what's inside it, after which you can just highlight everything in the right pane, and then copy it [or just drag the contents to another Konq window opened at the place you want to drop the fonts].

Yup, I'm crawling by inches. I right-clicked and chose extract so I now have a folder msttcorefonts located /home/liz/Desktop/msttcorefontsI tried the mv command. After listening to the sound of breaking glass, I decided I'd better try something else. I'm in a terminal doing mv mssttcorefonts /usr/srcit doesn't like that either.I decided to ls and got Desktop/ Music/ Pictures/ Shared/ tmp/not sure what that is telling me.So do I try mv /home/liz/Desktop/msttcorefonts /usr/src ????Hey, it didn't yell at me. I think I moved it.Now I cdthen ls and msttcorefonts is in blue.Now can I finally install 'em?

Edited by zlim

I beleive that fonts go into /usr/share/fonts, but could very well be mistaken.In any case, you need to install the fonts in the PCLos Control Center, under system.

Thanks Adam. I'll mv them there LOL.Now to write notes on what I learned.I was in PCC and did click import windows fonts but it tells me it can't find any on my partions. hmmmmm, seems to me that is what I tried to do about 6 hours ago!Well I finally moved them from /usr/src/msttfonts to /usr/share/fontsand when I opened PCC they appear to be available without doing an install. I don't know if that is the way it is supposed to work.

Edited by zlim

and when I opened PCC they appear to be available without doing an install. I don't know if that is the way it is supposed to work.
Hi Liz . . . . Yep you took the backdoor and did not need the wizard to help you install the fonts :icon8: As long as they are in the correct directory your distro will be able to find them no problem :thumbsup::ph34r: Bruno

Thank you. So now all I have to ask is where things should be and mv them remembering to always use the full path both for the source and the target!