Ubuntu Moves Away From GNOME

securitybreach

securitybreach
The big news at the Ubuntu Developer Summit? Moving to Unity as the default interface for Ubuntu Desktop with Natty Narwhal (11.04), rather than GNOME Shell.Mark Shuttleworth KeynoteEarlier this year, Canonical representatives had to deny that they were forking GNOME with the work on the Unity interface. (Quick disclaimer, I'm a GNOME Member and help out with GNOME PR.) Unity is a Canonical-sponsored project that was initially delivered for the Ubuntu Netbook Remix. GNOME Shell is the interface being developed for GNOME 3.0, which was delayed to spring 2011.Apparently, Canonical were being asked the wrong question. During the opening keynote, Mark Shuttleworth has announced that Canonical is committing to making Unity the default desktop experience "for users that have the appropriate software and hardware." Unity requires compositing to work properly, which means users need functioning 3D support to use the interface.Unity will require quite a bit of work between now and April, 2011 to get Unity into shape as the default desktop. While the Ubuntu desktop 10.10 received glowing reviews, the netbook release much less so. Canonial partner and system integrator System 76 chose to stick with the 10.04 LTS release on its netbook line, saying the interface was "slow and in many ways confusing to use."What happens with GNOME at this point? Shuttleworth says that Unity is "a shell for GNOME, even if it isn't GNOME shell." He added that he thinks it's good to have "competition" between GNOME Shell and Unity, and referenced Monty Python's Life of Brian as an example of factionalism in a community. Shuttleworth says "we're all in this together," even if there's differences of opinion.It will be interesting to see how the larger community reacts to this. I'll be covering this more extensively throughout the week, so stay tuned.
http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog...oves-away-gnomeWhat the heck are they thinking? :medic:Also:
The GNOME 3.0 default UI, called GNOME Shell, conflicts with Ubuntu's branding. On top of this, Mark Shuttleworth absolutely does NOT agree, according to an article that was posted on LinuxQuestions.org (although it was on an external site and simply linked to LQ via the Syndicated News forum), that GNOME Shell is easy to use. The desktop shell, especially in the Ubuntu community, has received so many criticisms that virtually no one truly appreciates it.
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sp...ity-form-factor

Ubuntu's refusal to work with and contribute to the overall GNU/Linux community and even the upstream projects which they benefit from is the main reason I do not use or endorse the distro. Really, how hard would it be to work directly with GNOME developers to get the new 'shell' interface to work properly? Is Shuttleworth saying that they don't have the ability to take the default GNOME desktop and re-skin it with Ubuntu branding? Total BS is what it is. Kind of reminds me of another company that is into total control, isolation, and manipulation (hint - it starts with an A). Very irresponsible, predatory way to become a profitable corporation. He should look at the model Red Hat provides to see how a company both benefits from and contributes to the FOSS community.It is also one of the reasons that Linux Mint is developing a distro based directly on Debian. Mint developers are absolutely committed to doing things which can be integrated into the upstream projects from which they draw. Ubuntu has such promise as a distro and as a corp who can profit from/spread the adoption of desktop Linux, but they frequently make very poor decisions about how to get there.

I've noticed something odd about Ultimate Edition 2.8 (based on the Ubuntu 10.10 release). The Synaptic tool doesn't seem to get some things. Google Earth is where I noticed it first. PCLOS had it right in the Synaptic list - it downloaded and installed without a fuss. But when I tried to get in in UE, I got a little file which downloaded a .bin file from Google. Now I've got this file and have no idea what to do with the fool thing. What's up with that? Same with the Flash player in Chrome, but I managed to fix that one.

securitybreach

It sound like the application is not in the Ubuntu respositories.As far as the bin file, first you need to make it executable:

chmod +X whatever.the.file.name.is.sh

then execute the installer as root:

sudo sh whatever.the.file.name.is.sh

You can also add the correct entires for Synaptic and it will be available there to install/update:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth

Chip,Sounds like you need to add a repository for Google Earth... the easiest way is to install a VERY GOOD configuration helper tool called "Ubuntu Tweak" first, then open it, go to its "add extra repositories section" and add the relevant repository.

Hey... we can always install Gnome, whether they offer it or not, can't we ? ;) Freedom.
I believe that you can.It would be hard for them to completely forbid user tweaks on a Linux base.

Using a sidebar for task management conserves vertical screen space, which is much more valuable on a widescreen netbook.
This would be the pits on a 5:4 "square" monitor.Bill

securitybreach
This would be the pits on a 5:4 "square" monitor.Bill
Yeah it looked god-awful on my EeePC 701 since it only has a 7 inch screen and they say its made for netbooks :)

Ubuntu's refusal to work with and contribute to the overall GNU/Linux community and even the upstream projects which they benefit from is the main reason I do not use or endorse the distro.
+1 on that. I like my Debian (almost) vanilla. It's more reliable and the devs contribute upstream.They are not exactly moving away from Gnome, just building a new interface for it:
Shuttleworth says that Unity is "a shell for GNOME, even if it isn't GNOME shell."

It sound like the application is not in the Ubuntu respositories.As far as the bin file, first you need to make it executable:
chip@chip-Satellite-L355:~/Downloads$ chmod +x GoogleEarthLinux.binchip@chip-Satellite-L355:~/Downloads$ sudo ./GoogleEarthLinux.binVerifying archive integrity... All good.Uncompressing Google Earth for GNU/Linux 5.2.1.1588..............................................................setup.data/setup.xml:1: parser error : Document is empty^setup.data/setup.xml:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found^Couldn't load 'setup.data/setup.xml'

Now what the heck do I do? I could nab this right from Synaptic as an installed package under PCLOS. Why is it such a hassle in Ubuntu?

Chip,It is a hassle because the .deb package isn't in "Medibuntu" repository yet – my bad, ignore my post (#6) above.HOWEVER: there are more than one ways to skin a cat... you're using the 64-bit OS, right? Here:http://labtu.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-i...-in-ubuntu.html
Mine is actually the 32-bit - older hardware and nothing that requires 64-bit. Maybe next time I'll try the 64. But meanwhile, I'll follow that link in hopes of finding something useful. Thanks, Urmas!

Well I tried that but it didn't work. Here's the result:

chip@chip-Satellite-L355:~$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32nss-mdns[sudo] password for chip: Reading package lists... DoneBuilding dependency tree       Reading state information... DonePackage ia32-libs is not available, but is referred to by another package.This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, oris only available from another sourceE: Package 'ia32-libs' has no installation candidateE: Unable to locate package lib32nss-mdnschip@chip-Satellite-L355:~$ 

I also found this comment at the link you posted:

Clive Says:Posted on October 24, 2010 4:24 PMi have tried every which way including your method of installing Google Earth in Maverick 32bit, medirepository, and using your terminal commands, its a no go. if i use sh to uncompress the .bin file it says file is empty. i ve also tried this on 2 systems with 10.10, same result, for those using 10.04 i recommend getting google earth first with mediubuntu repository
On the other hand, the updater did find a couple of new library packages which are downloading as I type this. I think I'll just move on to something else for a while.

OK, Chip... here's the deal... open the terminal, and...

urmas@hyrysysy:~$ sudo apt-get install googleearth-package

Apt-get goes to work like this...

Seuraavat UUDET paketit asennetaan:  googleearth-package0 päivitetty, 1 uutta asennusta, 0 poistettavaa ja 0 päivittämätöntä.Noudettavaa arkistoa 10,7kt.Toiminnon jälkeen käytetään 69,6k t lisää levytilaa.Nouda:1 http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/multiverse googleearth-package 0.5.7 [10,7kB]Noudettiin 10,7kt ajassa 0s (47,5kt/s) Valitaan aikaisemmin valitsematon paketti googleearth-package.(Luetaan tietokantaa... 212964 tiedostoa ja hakemistoa tällä hetkellä asennettuna.)Puretaan pakettia googleearth-package (.../googleearth-package_0.5.7_all.deb)...Suoritetaan kohteen man-db liipaisimia...Tehdään asetuksia: googleearth-package (0.5.7) ...urmas@hyrysysy:~$

Next we make the .deb package:

$ make-googleearth-package --force

IMPORTANT: if it refuses to start, throws an error, POST IT HERE.If it starts, it's gonna crunch a good while, and throws a brazillion error messages – this is normal:

urmas@hyrysysy:~$ make-googleearth-package --forcecat: /etc/mailname: Tiedostoa tai hakemistoa ei ole--2010-10-26 09:39:29--  http://dl.google.com/earth/client/current/GoogleEarthLinux.binSelvitetään osoitetta dl.google.com... 74.125.43.91, 74.125.43.93, 74.125.43.136, ...Yhdistetään palvelimeen dl.google.com|74.125.43.91|:80... yhdistetty.HTTP-pyyntö lähetetty, odotetaan vastausta... 200 OKPituus: 31406473 (30M) [application/octet-stream]Tallennetaan kohteeseen ”GoogleEarthLinux.bin”100%[======================================>] 31 406 473   862K/s   in 50s	 2010-10-26 09:40:20 (613 KB/s) - ”GoogleEarthLinux.bin” tallennettu [31406473/31406473]Google Earth for GNU/Linux 5.2.1.1588Unrecognized Google Earth version; using anyway (because of --force).Guessed Google Earth version: 5.2.1.1588tar: Tietueen koko = 8 lohkoa././README.linux./bin/./bin/googleearth./googleearth-icon.png./googleearth.xpm./linux/./linux/xdg/./linux/xdg/xdg-desktop-icon./linux/xdg/xdg-desktop-menu./linux/xdg/xdg-mime./postinstall.sh./preuninstall.sh./setup.data/./setup.data/bin/./setup.data/bin/Linux/./setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/./setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/setup.gtk./setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/setup.gtk2./setup.data/bin/Linux/x86/uninstall./setup.data/bin/Linux/amd64./setup.data/bin/Linux/x86_64./setup.data/bin/NetBSD./setup.data/bin/OpenBSD./setup.data/bin/FreeBSD./setup.data/config.sh./setup.data/locale/./setup.data/locale/de/./setup.data/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/./setup.data/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/loki-uninstall.mo./setup.data/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/setup.mo./setup.data/locale/es/./setup.data/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/./setup.data/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/loki-uninstall.mo./setup.data/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/setup.mo./setup.data/locale/fr/./setup.data/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/./setup.data/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/loki-uninstall.mo./setup.data/locale/fr/LC_MESSAGES/setup.mo./setup.data/locale/it/./setup.data/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/./setup.data/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/loki-uninstall.mo./setup.data/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/setup.mo./setup.data/locale/nl/./setup.data/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/./setup.data/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/loki-uninstall.mo./setup.data/locale/nl/LC_MESSAGES/setup.mo./setup.data/locale/ru/./setup.data/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/./setup.data/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/loki-uninstall.mo./setup.data/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/setup.mo./setup.data/locale/sv/./setup.data/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/./setup.data/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/loki-uninstall.mo./setup.data/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/setup.mo./setup.data/setup.glade./setup.data/setup.gtk2.glade./setup.data/setup.xml./setup.data/splash.xpm./setup.sh./googleearth-linux-x86.tar./googleearth-data.tarmv: tiedoston ”libssl.so.0.9.8” tilaa ei voi lukea: Tiedostoa tai hakemistoa ei oleChecking shlib deps: libIGSg.soChecking shlib deps: libnavigate.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobaseutils.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libauth.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon_gui.so'Checking shlib deps: libGLU.so.1Checking shlib deps: libmoduleframework.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'Checking shlib deps: libnss_mdns4_minimal.so.2Checking shlib deps: libIGExportCommon.soChecking shlib deps: libwmsbase.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'Checking shlib deps: libIGAttrs.soChecking shlib deps: libgps.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'Checking shlib deps: libviewsync.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libsgutil.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobaseutils.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libspatial.so'Checking shlib deps: googleearth-bindpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgoogleearth_free.so'Checking shlib deps: libcommon.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon_platform.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobaseutils.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libfusioncommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'Checking shlib deps: libport.soChecking shlib deps: libQtWebKit.so.4Checking shlib deps: libIGUtils.soChecking shlib deps: libIGOpt.soChecking shlib deps: liblayer.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libwmsbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon_webbrowser.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobaseutils.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `librender.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libauth.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon_gui.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libwebbrowser.so'Checking shlib deps: libQtNetwork.so.4Checking shlib deps: libinput_plugin.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'Checking shlib deps: libicuuc.so.38Checking shlib deps: libauth.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libreporting.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon_gui.so'Checking shlib deps: libgdal.so.1Checking shlib deps: libbasicingest.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobaseutils.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libfusioncommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'Checking shlib deps: libflightsim.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'Checking shlib deps: libproj.so.0Checking shlib deps: librender.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'Checking shlib deps: libIGMath.soChecking shlib deps: gpsbabelChecking shlib deps: libgeobaseutils.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libspatial.so'Checking shlib deps: libQtCore.so.4Checking shlib deps: libcommon_platform.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'Checking shlib deps: libgeobase.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'Checking shlib deps: libcurl.so.4Checking shlib deps: libspatial.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'Checking shlib deps: libcomponentframework.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'Checking shlib deps: libmath.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'Checking shlib deps: libgooglesearch.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobaseutils.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'Checking shlib deps: libbase.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGMath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGCore.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGUtils.so'Checking shlib deps: libapiloader.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGMath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGCore.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGUtils.so'Checking shlib deps: libge_net.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libfusioncommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'Checking shlib deps: libfusioncommon.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'Checking shlib deps: libIGCore.soChecking shlib deps: libcommon_webbrowser.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `librender.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'Checking shlib deps: libsgutil.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGAttrs.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGUtils.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGMath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGSg.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGCore.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGGfx.so'Checking shlib deps: libcollada.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGExportCommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGOpt.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGAttrs.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGUtils.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libalchemyext.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGMath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGSg.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGCore.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGGfx.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'Checking shlib deps: libgoogleearth_free.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libsgutil.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon_platform.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libreporting.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon_webbrowser.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobaseutils.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGUtils.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `librender.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libauth.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGCore.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon_gui.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libspatial.so'Checking shlib deps: libwebbrowser.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon_platform.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon_webbrowser.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `librender.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon_gui.so'Checking shlib deps: libalchemyext.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGMath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGCore.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGAttrs.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGGfx.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGUtils.so'Checking shlib deps: liblayout.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'Checking shlib deps: libIGGfx.soChecking shlib deps: libmeasure.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobaseutils.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmoduleframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libapiloader.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'Checking shlib deps: libicudata.so.38Checking shlib deps: libevll.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libsgutil.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGAttrs.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobaseutils.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcomponentframework.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGUtils.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libalchemyext.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGSg.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGMath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGCore.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libport.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libIGGfx.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libspatial.so'Checking shlib deps: libQtGui.so.4Checking shlib deps: libqgif.soChecking shlib deps: libqjpeg.soChecking shlib deps: libreporting.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libge_net.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libgeobase.so'Checking shlib deps: libcommon_gui.sodpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libmath.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libcommon.so'dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: Can't extract name and version from library name `libbase.so'Package: googleearthVersion: 5.2.1.1588+0.5.7-1Section: non-free/sciencePriority: optionalMaintainer:  <urmas@hyrysysy>Architecture: i386Depends: ttf-dejavu | ttf-bitstream-vera | msttcorefonts, libc6 (>= 2.0), libc6 (>= 2.1.3), libc6 (>= 2.3), libc6 (>= 2.3.2), libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6~), libc6 (>= 2.4), libexpat1 (>= 1.95.8), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libgl1-mesa-glx | libgl1, libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1), libx11-6, libx11-6 (>= 0), libxext6, libxext6 (>= 0), libxrender1, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.0) Description: Google Earth, a 3D map/planet viewer Package built with googleearth-package.dpkg-deb: rakennetaan pakettia 'googleearth' './googleearth_5.2.1.1588+0.5.7-1_i386.deb':ssaSuccess!You can now install the package with e.g. sudo dpkg -i <package>.deburmas@hyrysysy:~$

Done. :hysterical: Now you can actually install Google Earth:

$ sudo dpkg -i googleearth_5.2.1.1588+0.5.7-1_i386.deb
Or... the way we GUI penguins do it, open the file manager, loot at /home/chip... that .deb package is there... just double click to install.When installed, you can find the menu entry under "Applications --> Internet".Urmas Earth (.deb) :hysterical:

Uhm Urmas ... I actually counted a trazillion error messages, (took me some time) that's one less than the brazillion error messages you said it would throw ... :hysterical: What Urmas meant was that the proces shows a bunch of messages on the screen, they're not error messages per definition but messages showing what is happening behind the scenes so to speak. Nothing wrong with it and nothing to worry about. In the meantime go and grab a coffee until it's finished.

Well, getting the hang of it is one, but be warned: at the same time one gets addicted to it. Just like the flu, you're contaminated with it before you know :hysterical: and there's no way going back... :hysterical:

What Urmas meant was that the proces shows a bunch of messages on the screen, they're not error messages per definition but messages showing what is happening behind the scenes so to speak. Nothing wrong with it and nothing to worry about. In the meantime go and grab a coffee until it's finished.
Gretchen to Faust:"Ungefähr sagt das der Pfarrer auch, Nur mit ein bißchen andern Worten." :hysterical:
One day I'll get the hang of all of this...
Well... you just created you first Debian package. Since the Google Earth .deb package wasn't [yet] available in repositories, yet you wanted Google Earth installed, you had to use other options. Using "make" like you did is one option... the other would have been running the install script (like you tried earlier.)P.S. Striker is right... you are bitten by the penguin. Tough. :hysterical:

I had trouble running Unity from a CD on a desktop I have that has an Nvidia 8400GS card. Unity requires 3D acceleration to run and Ubuntu does not install the proprietary Nvidia driver by default. The FOSS Nvidia driver doesn't support 3D so you just get a black screen. Hopefully Ubuntu or the FOSS driver will address this problem before Natty ships.

Edited by raymac46

I had trouble running Unity from a CD on a desktop I have that has an Nvidia 8400GS card. Unity requires 3D acceleration to run and Ubuntu does not install the proprietary Nvidia driver by default. The FOSS Nvidia driver doesn't support 3D so you just get a black screen. Hopefully Ubuntu or the FOSS driver will address this problem before Natty ships.
Yeah, it would seem that they'd have to, or a lot of people wouldn't even be able to run the live CD.

Amendiman said:

It is also one of the reasons that Linux Mint is developing a distro based directly on Debian. Mint developers are absolutely committed to doing things which can be integrated into the upstream projects from which they draw.
That Mint distro based on Debian was a big disappointment to me in its initial phase and when I looked at the Mint site, Clem made it clear that the basic Mint would be the priority; not the Debian based deal . . . :thumbsdown:I just thru out the DVD I had burned of the .iso a couple of days ago, I was so disappointed in it.Bill Edited by BillD

BillD, why was it such a disappointment? I've got both Debian Squeeze and the main Linux Mint version installed, and I like them both, so I haven't felt compelled to try Mint Debian yet, but just curious about your impressions.