Processor Speed Slower Than Rated Speed

jodef

Bought a ECS K7S5A Pro Mobo with an AMD 1800+ processor am putting together a system first time I've actually tried this.Anyway mobo manual says it should autodetect correct processor speed I noticed on start up the speed shows as 1150 Mhz is that correct I haven't actually installed an OS or anything as yet planning to that this weekend but just wondered about the speed shown isn't an AMD 1800 supposed to be like 1400Mhz or there abouts. :P

Is this one of those built-on CPU jobs? If so, you have two choices:

• Live with it
  • Return it and exchange it for another one if you think it is defective

Messing with the CPU, or even the fan will instantly void the warranty.I have a K7SEM with a built-on 1300+, but it actually runs at 950 Mhz

Guitar Man

I also have an AMD 1800+ CPU. The rated net speed is 1.53 Ghz (or 1530 Mhz). That's what I'm getting in benchmark tests. The way AMD markets its chips is by doing some sort of comparison against Intel's products, in this case a P4 1.8 Ghz. In many comparitive benchmarks, you'll achieve better results with the AMD chip. But I risk getting flames if I go any further... :P But I'm willing to bet that the majority of Highlanders here that run PCs (as opposed to MACs), have AMD based machines because of the 'multi-tasking' capabilities, primarily. The other advantage, though very secondary, is price. You get a "better bang for the buck"...Don't trade it in yet ! Mine has given me excellent results for over 2 years now...But the solution to your mystery lies in setting the optimal clock rate by going into the BIOS setup and fiddling with the multiplier settings. With AMD, you have 1 big advantage over Intel chips: you can overclock them. But as epp_b said, you risk voiding the warranty. So tread carefully when doing this !But IMHO, and with all respect to my fellow member, I don't think you should have to live with this, or that it is defective, for that matter. There should be an instruction booklet, normally included with your purchase, explaining how to do (and calculate) this.

But the solution to your mystery lies in setting the optimal clock rate by going into the BIOS setup and fiddling with the multiplier settings. With AMD, you have 1 big advantage over Intel chips: you can overclock them. But as epp_b said, you risk voiding the warranty. So tread carefully when doing this !
Actually, most new mobos don't even have hardware clock multipliers anymore - it's all done in the BIOS now.

Your processor is "underclocked". In other words you are running it at a 100 MHz FSB. The Athlon XP 1800+ should be clocked at 1.533 GHz when the bus is set to 133 MHz (11.5x clock multiplier). You should go in the BIOS and check to see if you can set the boards bus frequency. It will help to have DDR266 (PC2100) memory modules, but you can run the bus/memory at a 133/100 ratio. :P

If the addon processor is advertised as AMD Pro 1800, it is in fact a Duron 1200 (Mustang/Morgan core). It's detected correctly by the motherboard.Note Epp_b comment about K7SEM/AMD Pro 1300 (Duron Spitfire 950MHz).

Thx for the suggestions guys will have a look at this when I get home from work tonight.I don't think the difference between 1.1 and 1.5 Ghz gonna make too much of a difference to me the most I do is the occassional compiling in linux.I would still however like to get it running at the correct speed provided am not going to damage anything in the process.At the risk of sounding very stupid I have some questions on advice given so far.

Your processor is "underclocked". In other words you are running it at a 100 MHz FSB. The Athlon XP 1800+ should be clocked at 1.533 GHz when the bus is set to 133 MHz (11.5x clock multiplier). You should go in the BIOS and check to see if you can set the boards bus frequency. It will help to have DDR266 (PC2100) memory modules, but you can run the bus/memory at a 133/100 ratio
Am a little confused by this the manual indicates the following:Athlon XP :up to 2600+ ,FSB266MhzAthlon:650Mhz-1.4Ghz,FSB:200Mhz,266MhzDuron:550Mhz-1.2Ghz,FSB:200MhzWhere did the 100Mhz FSB even come from? :P
If the addon processor is advertised as AMD Pro 1800, it is in fact a Duron 1200 (Mustang/Morgan core). It's detected correctly by the motherboard.
The processor was purchased separately and it stated it was an Athlon XP 1800+ on initial setup the board detected it as an Athlon 1800 but gave the speed as 1150 Mhz.I'll have a look at the detailed BIOS setting later and post them.Currently using SDRAM will have to wait for payday to get some DDR. :o

Some further info went into the CPU PNP Setup and there is a CPU/DRAM frequency that I can adjust it currently set at100/100 but scrolled thru and these are also options 100/133; 133/133; 166/133 I also noticed Peachy you mentioned DDR I am using SDRAM at the moment is this related to speeds here.Thx. :P

Some further info went into the CPU PNP Setup and there is a CPU/DRAM frequency that I can adjust it currently set at100/100 but scrolled thru and these are also options 100/133; 133/133; 166/133 I also noticed Peachy you mentioned DDR I am using SDRAM at the moment is this related to speeds here.Thx. :rant:
So, all you have to do is set you CPU/DRAM setting to 133/133. If you have SDRAM then if it's only PC100 then you will be limited to 100/100 since it looks like you don't have a 133/100 ratio. Yes, the DDR relates to speed of the memory. It means Double Data Rate, so, what would have been a PC100 stick is now labeled a DDR200 and interestingly also called PC1600. Notice the difference in the use of the PC term? It all started when RAMBUS sold their RDRAM as PC800 to signify the memory bandwidth as opposed to memory bus speed. Thus, for DDR memory, the DDR term represents the memory speed (2x the memory bus) and the PC term represents the bandwith (memory bus width * data rate). Most memory chips are 64bit which is the same as 8 Bytes (8 bits in a Byte). So, a PC1600/DDR200 module is 8 Bytes * 200 MHz = 1,600MB/sec. For the sake of comparison, the peak bandwidth of PC100 SDRAM is 8 Bytes * 100 MHz = 800MB/sec which shows that DDR200 has exactly twice the bandwith.

Guitar Man
Peachy Posted on Jun 4 2004, 01:40 AM-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Your processor is "underclocked". In other words you are running it at a 100 MHz FSB. The Athlon XP 1800+ should be clocked at 1.533 GHz when the bus is set to 133 MHz (11.5x clock multiplier). You should go in the BIOS and check to see if you can set the boards bus frequency. It will help to have DDR266 (PC2100) memory modules, but you can run the bus/memory at a 133/100 ratio.
That's exactly my setup. And it CAN be changed in the BIOS.Jodef, you should set it up to run at it's optimal speed. You don't need to overclock it . It'll run faster than what you have presently, without going past the rated speed.
Actually, most new mobos don't even have hardware clock multipliers anymore - it's all done in the BIOS now.
That's quite possible today. Mine's over 2 years old. Today's newer mobos have a FSB over 400.Now THAT's fast !

jodef, Peachy is right. I have an AMD XP 2000 and it runs at 1.67GHz when the bus is set at 133. If there is a problem with the pc's shutdown my board reverts to the 100 bus speed when it is restarted. Apparently that is it's default value. It would appear that your board is set at its default bus speed also. Setting it to 133 should be safe and all that's needed.

The processor was purchased separately and it stated it was an Athlon XP 1800+ on initial setup the board detected it as an Athlon 1800 but gave the speed as 1150 Mhz.
The AMD Pro 1800 is usually bundled with ECS K7SOM+, not the K7SA5.Peachy is right. If the processor is an XP, then you should set it to 133 (x11.5) to get the 1533 (=1800+).

What's an AMD Pro 1800??? I have installed bunches of 1800+ cpus, but what is a pro? Is that some lamo company's re-designation for a slower proc?

If you reset the mobo or pull out the CPU, the BIOS by default will drop down to 1150 speed. You must change it. At least mine does that. It is ASUS mobo.

What's an AMD Pro 1800??? I have installed bunches of 1800+ cpus, but what is a pro? Is that some lamo company's re-designation for a slower proc?
It's peculiar to ECS mobo/processor budget packages. They are plain Duron (Morgan) processors but given AthlonXP-type of ratings (probably viz Celeron or Via C3/4s) by resellers.
If you reset the mobo or pull out the CPU, the BIOS by default will drop down to 1150 speed. You must change it. At least mine does that. It is ASUS mobo.
Yes, most Socket A motherboards defaults to 100MHz to accomodate early Duron processors.